All Time Worst Professional Sports Team Nicknames

Ink

I've always hated the following two.....

The Pee Dee Pride are a defunct ECHL team from 1998-2005. The logo is OK, but the name is just corny, even with the lion theme.

Pee_Dee_Pride-logo-44D4131930-seeklogo.com.gif

Orlando Magic as a professional team name just shouldn't be allowed, period. At least in an all-male league.

OrlandoMagicLogo.jpg

I'm no fan of Miami Heat either, as it sounds like a low-rated T&A drama on the USA network, but at least it's got some testosterone to it.

Which leads me to this. I nominate virtually all the team names in this league....

WNBA

wnba_logo.gif

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the first time I've been called "sir", without it being followed by "you're making a scene."

Ahhh, good old Homer!

I'd agree with the Heat, Jazz, and I'd like to submit Dodgers as well.

It made sense in the early Brooklyn days when folks were called "trolley dodgers",

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Dodgers#The_team.27s_nickname

but the team should have renamed upon the move to LA.

sig-1.png

I'll re-state my opinion that I generally prefer teams not change names when they move, especially ones with significant history. Also, I didn't much see the point in mentioning silly minor league team names, who have as one of their goals the attention garnered from having a silly team name. Lastly, I don't get why team's need to be named after something ferocious or intimidating -- unless your 12 years old. Most of the best team names are quite the opposite. Football may be the one exception - but 'penguins' in hockey couldn't be more perfect.

I'll re-state my opinion that I generally prefer teams not change names when they move, especially ones with significant history. Also, I didn't much see the point in mentioning silly minor league team names, who have as one of their goals the attention garnered from having a silly team name. Lastly, I don't get why team's need to be named after something ferocious or intimidating -- unless your 12 years old. Most of the best team names are quite the opposite. Football may be the one exception - but 'penguins' in hockey couldn't be more perfect.

"The team was named by Carol McGregor, who was the wife of the original owner of the franchise, Pennsylvania State Senator, Jack McGregor.

She claimed it natural since the team was playing in an arena which locals called "The Igloo""

I'll re-state my opinion that I prefer teams to change names when they move especially ones with significant history, that history was for their past residence not their current (i.e Browns moved to Baltimore to become Ravens they left all their history in Cleveland, Washington Nations want nothing to do with the Expos they didn't carry over any of the teams retire numbers) I never said I had a problem with minor league teams having silly names, I have a problem with putting an adjective in front of a name. Lastly teams don't have to be name after something ferocious but dealing with a high level contact sport (more then football) it makes more sense to be a little more creative then just naming a team something just because their arena that they play in looks like an igloo...I'll say it again since you missed it the last time igloos are from north pole, penguins from the south pole. Other then some penguins living in cold weather climates (not all) how couldn't it be more perfect?

3535rx3.jpg

"The team was named by Carol McGregor, who was the wife of the original owner of the franchise, Pennsylvania State Senator, Jack McGregor.

She claimed it natural since the team was playing in an arena which locals called "The Igloo""

I'll re-state my opinion that I prefer teams to change names when they move especially ones with significant history, that history was for their past residence not their current (i.e Browns moved to Baltimore to become Ravens they left all their history in Cleveland, Washington Nations want nothing to do with the Expos they didn't carry over any of the teams retire numbers) I never said I had a problem with minor league teams having silly names, I have a problem with putting an adjective in front of a name. Lastly teams don't have to be name after something ferocious but dealing with a high level contact sport (more then football) it makes more sense to be a little more creative then just naming a team something just because their arena that they play in looks like an igloo...I'll say it again since you missed it the last time igloos are from north pole, penguins from the south pole. Other then some penguins living in cold weather climates (not all) how couldn't it be more perfect?

Not sure what I said to give you the impression anything I wrote was directed at you. I'll leave the tearing-apart-of-everything-you've-said to others; they're doing a fine job.

Not sure what I said to give you the impression anything I wrote was directed at you. I'll leave the tearing-apart-of-everything-you've-said to others; they're doing a fine job.

ok :D

3535rx3.jpg

Someone brought up the Buffalo Bills, and asked "What is a 'Bill'?"

For me, a different question came to mind ...

If the Buffalo Bills and the Anaheim Ducks were to merge, (I know they're different sports, let me play!), would they become the Platypuses? :rolleyes:

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I don't know if this has been done before so if it has I apologies. So while watching the Rays play the other day against the Rangers I was thinking of how bad their team nickname was, Rays really after a ray of sunshine, or even a devil ray, they have two things they are named after. This got me thinking of what other teams in professional sports have stupid and awful nicknames. So with out further ado I present my top 10 worst team names in professional sports.

10)Cincinnati Bengals/Detroit Tigers, not only are there no tigers in the Cincinnati and Detroit but there are no tigers in America at all

9)Detroit Lions, Same as number 10 except for lions

8)San Diego Padres, I know California has a huge mexican background but their logo is a Friar

7)Pittsburgh Penguins, one not intimidating, and two since when are there penguins in a populated city like Pittsburgh

6)Minnesota Vikings, since when are there Vikings in a state that is no where near an ocean, where vikings used to travel via boat!

5)Washington Wizards, Name is way too geeky

4)Whitesox, My main problem they don't wear white socks, also they can't even spell socks right

3)Toronto Raptors, Last time I checked dinosaurs are extinct

2)Nashville Predators, predators really? Their logo is a saber tooth tiger much like dinosaurs they are also extinct

1)Utah Jazz, Now this name would not be in the top ten if the team were still in New Orleans but how is Jazz associated with Utah?

I would have put a lot of college teams on this list but since there are like over 1000 different schools it would be too hard to choose

But counting college teams Williams College Purple Cows would be the all time #1 worst team nickname.

It seems like your logic would preclude almost every single nickname currently in sports. Most, if not all, of these specific examples are not only dead horses, they've also been beaten, shot, and any other superfluous action imaginable.

Now, if you're talking about just plain dumb (rather than simply mis-associated) nicknames, I'd be amused to hear your 10.

ujsignature.png

I would have put a lot of college teams on this list but since there are like over 1000 different schools it would be too hard to choose

But counting college teams Williams College Purple Cows would be the all time #1 worst team nickname.

Quite a few things wrong with this one. For one, Williams College doesn't call its teams the "Purple Cows" - they're the Ephs, after the founder of the college, Ephriam Williams. The mascot is a purple cow, but nobody calls the teams the purple cows, just like nobody calls Stanford's teams the trees.

The reason Williams uses the color purple is sort of interesting. From Williams' website:

"Early in the summer of 1865 the Williams baseball team were about to leave Williamstown to play the final game of the series against Harvard, and just before our departure two young ladies -- my sister and my cousin -- who were very much interested in the result of the game, learned that while Harvard had adopted magenta as its College color, Williams was without any. They hurriedly purchased some royal purple ribbon and made small rosettes out of it, and pinning one on each member of the team, said "Let this royal purple be the Williams color, and may it bring you the victory over Harvard."

"The royal purple joyfully floated from the mast-head that next day, for the game was handsomely won. This victory gave Williams the championship in the intercollegiate contests between Princeton, Harvard and Williams, and the royal purple has ever since been the banner under which Williams has won so many brilliant victories."

Eugene M. Jerome (Williams Class of 1867) in The Williams alumni review, Apr. 1910.

The interesting part? Mr. Jerome's cousin, one of the ladies who picked the color, was Jennie Jerome. She later became Jennie Churchill - mother of Winston Churchill.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Quite a few things wrong with this one. For one, Williams College doesn't call its teams the "Purple Cows" - they're the Ephs, after the founder of the college, Ephriam Williams. The mascot is a purple cow, but nobody calls the teams the purple cows, just like nobody calls Stanford's teams the trees.

The reason Williams uses the color purple is sort of interesting. From Williams' website:

"Early in the summer of 1865 the Williams baseball team were about to leave Williamstown to play the final game of the series against Harvard, and just before our departure two young ladies -- my sister and my cousin -- who were very much interested in the result of the game, learned that while Harvard had adopted magenta as its College color, Williams was without any. They hurriedly purchased some royal purple ribbon and made small rosettes out of it, and pinning one on each member of the team, said "Let this royal purple be the Williams color, and may it bring you the victory over Harvard."

"The royal purple joyfully floated from the mast-head that next day, for the game was handsomely won. This victory gave Williams the championship in the intercollegiate contests between Princeton, Harvard and Williams, and the royal purple has ever since been the banner under which Williams has won so many brilliant victories."

Eugene M. Jerome (Williams Class of 1867) in The Williams alumni review, Apr. 1910.

The interesting part? Mr. Jerome's cousin, one of the ladies who picked the color, was Jennie Jerome. She later became Jennie Churchill - mother of Winston Churchill.

Wow....cool/interesting/informative story. I anxiously await ink's retort....

Rays- There is too much to put about how pathetic and sorry this team name is. They went from Devil Ray, with a cool logo and animal, to a ray of f$%%ing sunshine. Get the hell outta here. So weak.

Browns- no good.

49ers- I get it, I just don't like it. I'd rather Miners or something.

Maple Leafs- yeah, on the flag. Still, weak.

2ly2w09.jpg

Maple Leafs- yeah, on the flag. Still, weak.

They were named the Maple Leafs before the Canadian maple leaf flag was adopted.

Canadian flag in 1927, the year the St. Pats became the Maple Leafs.

There are maple leaves on that flag, however.

Yes there are. It's not the current maple leaf flag, however, the flag Legend was referring to. The reason the Maple Leafs are named what they are is the same reason why maple leaves are featured on all the older Canadian flags; the maple leaf has always been a national symbol and Conn Smyth (a Great War veteran), after buying the St. Pats, wanted a patriotic nickname for the team.

Ten bad names:

5. Carolina Hurricanes - I kinda figured the U had the name to themselves in the minds of Americans, plus it's not good to name a team for a meteorological enemy of the region.

No argument that the team could've had a better name, but given that the alternative publicly announced was that of the "Carolina Ice Pigs," I'll settle for Hurricanes any day.

As for my opinion... and sticking with the "big five" sports so as not to make "the ugly" list about 1,000 deep...

The Good...

Baltimore Orioles (MLB)

Chicago Fire (MLS) - swiped from the World Football League, but for good reason.

D.C. United (MLS)

Dallas Mavericks (NBA)

Milwaukee Brewers (MLB) - name wouldn't work virtually anywhere else, but it works there.

New Jersey Devils (NHL)

New Jersey Nets (NBA) - nice, short name that I'll actually be sad to see go.

Philadelphia Union (MLS)

Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL)

Texas Rangers (MLB)

The Bad...

Buffalo Bills (NFL) - Bisons would've been better; Nickels would've been funny.

Cleveland Indians (MLB) - love the team, but don't like the name.

Houston Texans (NFL) - other options they considered were better.

Miami Heat (NBA)

Orlando Magic (NBA)

Portland Trail Blazers (NBA) - I understand the meaning behind the name, but still don't like it.

San Diego/Los Angeles Clippers (NBA) - seriously, when's the last time you saw a clipper ship?

Washington Nationals (MLB) - should've just went with Senators. IMHO.

The Ugly...

Charlotte Bobcats (NBA) - simply atrocious.

Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL) - this city's so non-descript they had to use a Civil War reference to devise a name.

Kansas City Wiz (MLS) - since modified to "Wizards," but still awful.

Minnesota Wild (NHL) - perhaps the worst one on this list.

New York-New Jersey Metrostars / Red Bull New York (MLS) - a city so nice, it's team's had a ****ed up name twice.

Oklahoma City Thunder (NBA) - ugly more for its identity package than the name alone.

Real Salt Lake (MLS) - "Real?" In a nation that was founded on the basis of republicanism and kicking out royalty?

Tampa Bay Rays (MLB) - makes me think of Ray Romano. Stingrays would've been far better from the start.

Toronto Raptors (NBA)

nav-logo.png

Ten bad names:

5. Carolina Hurricanes - I kinda figured the U had the name to themselves in the minds of Americans, plus it's not good to name a team for a meteorological enemy of the region.

No argument that the team could've had a better name, but given that the alternative publicly announced was that of the "Carolina Ice Pigs," I'll settle for Hurricanes any day.

As for my opinion... and sticking with the "big five" sports so as not to make "the ugly" list about 1,000 deep...

The Good...

Baltimore Orioles (MLB)

Chicago Fire (MLS) - swiped from the World Football League, but for good reason.

D.C. United (MLS)

Dallas Mavericks (NBA)

Milwaukee Brewers (MLB) - name wouldn't work virtually anywhere else, but it works there.

New Jersey Devils (NHL)

Philadelphia Union (MLS)

Texas Rangers (MLB)

The Bad...

Miami Heat (NBA)

Orlando Magic (NBA)

Portland Trail Blazers (NBA) - I understand the meaning behind the name, but still don't like it.

San Diego/Los Angeles Clippers (NBA) - seriously, when's the last time you saw a clipper ship?

The Ugly...

Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL) - this city's so non-descript they had to use a Civil War reference to devise a name.

New York-New Jersey Metrostars / Red Bull New York (MLS) - a city so nice, it's team's had a ****ed up name twice.

Oklahoma City Thunder (NBA) - ugly more for its identity package than the name alone.

Real Salt Lake (MLS) - "Real?" In a nation that was founded on the basis of republicanism and kicking out royalty?

Tampa Bay Rays (MLB) - makes me think of Ray Romano. Stingrays would've been far better from the start.

Toronto Raptors (NBA)

I agree about the nets... It will be sorta sad to see it go, especially since "brooklyn nets" sounds so perfect, and so much better then either new york or new jersey nets. I've heard "jay-z" mention that he'd like to call them the brooklyn "ballers" (or perhaps, "ballerz"?) If that actually happens, it will easily pass the minnesota "wild" as the worst name in professional sports.

Agreed on most of the rest of your list aswell, except I don't see the "blue jackets" as a bad name at all, or anything wrong with going to the civil war for name inspiration. I really like it actually.

Ten bad names:

The Good...

Baltimore Orioles (MLB)

D.C. United (MLS)

Dallas Mavericks (NBA)

New Jersey Devils (NHL)

Philadelphia Union (MLS)

Texas Rangers (MLB)

The Bad...

Miami Heat (NBA)

Orlando Magic (NBA)

The Ugly...

Toronto Raptors (NBA)

I agree about the nets... It will be sorta sad to see it go, especially since "brooklyn nets" sounds so perfect, and so much better then either new york or new jersey nets. I've heard "jay-z" mention that he'd like to call them the brooklyn "ballers" (or perhaps, "ballerz"?) If that actually happens, it will easily pass the minnesota "wild" as the worst name in professional sports.

Agreed on most of the rest of your list aswell, except I don't see the "blue jackets" as a bad name at all, or anything wrong with going to the civil war for name inspiration. I really like it actually.

The Magic of Disneyworld perhaps?

Ten bad names:

Maybe they knew if they did that, the franchise would just leave again. :P Actually, given the history with both names, they may not be safe either way.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

Archived