New Project

eddie010

Alright, everyone. This is my first major project, I'm freakin' excited about it.

It's the NHL Soccer Crossover Project!

First, a few explanations:

As you may or may not know, soccer jerseys are different, as they have one or many sponsors as the dominating logo on them. Therefore I took the names of the NHL teams' respective arenas and used the logo as the shirt's sponsor (i.e. Corel Centre=Corel logo).

As for the teams' logos, they are usually located in the top-right corner, as a small embroidered patch. In the other corner, the manufacturer's logo can be found. For these instances, CCM - home, Koho - road, alt.

Also, soccer jerseys are designed to be worn tucked in, therefore the bottom striping will be a little higher than usual. Soccer uniforms are also different because they have more than one pair of shorts and socks, whereas the NHL has but one pant colour. So I decided to be somewhat creative and make as many different shorts as possible.

Thanks to Roger Clemente & ColeDMD for the template. All uniforms were created using MS Paint. :blush:

And now, the unveiling. I'll start off with the Canadian clubs :flagcanada: ...

Calgary Flames - Pengrowth Saddledome= Pengrowth as the sponsor. All three unis are there for the viewing, pretty much duplicates of the actual hockey sweaters.

Edmonton Oilers - Rexall Place means the pharmaceutical company is the jersey's sponsor. For the home and roads, i went with the hoops, ripped from my team, Celtic FC. (Hail Hail!). Nothing special with the alt.

Montréal Canadiens - Bell Centre - Bell sponsor; getting the picture yet? My personal favourites, so far.

Ottawa Senators - Corel is the shirt's sponsor. Home and road are pretty much what everyone would expect. As for the alt, I put in the laurel leaves; hopefully I pulled it off. The Corel logo is simply the 'C' w/o the word mark (a lot of alternate soccer jerseys do the same thing).

Toronto Maple Leafs - To my chagrin and disgust, I created a set for these aging wonders. Used the same 'alternate logo' idea for the alt. If it makes any Leaf Nation citizen feel better, the home set's all-white design is the same as European powerhouse Real Madrid's scheme. Heard of them?

Vancouver Canucks - All three collars are the 'thicker V-neck-style collars' according to the Templates thread; so, as I did with Ottawa's road and Edmonton's home and road, I adjusted the situation correctly. The alt was a pain-in-the-arse, but I think it came out quite nicely.

That's it for now, folks! Hope you'll enjoy these marvels o' mine. Please, feedback and criticism is always welcomed and appreciated. Next up will be the remaining Original Six.

NHLPlayoffSigOTT.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eddie010,

these are great! Very nice work - I love the Canucks unis. :D

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Terriffic idea for a concept. Awesome effort and work here. Good jobn spending so much time on these.

BUT....

The template blows. It makes these look horrible.

If Nitro's overhwelming victories in contests can teach us anything, it is that clean, exacting design can carry you much further than any other single element.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Ouch. I know the template is bad...

Honestly, though, if I could somehow find a decent template for Paint, I'd go for it.

But Paint is all I have, sadly. I'm sure there are some great vector templates out there, though. Help, anyone?

NHLPlayoffSigOTT.gif

Ouch. I know the template is bad...

Honestly, though, if I could somehow find a decent template for Pain, I'd go for it.

But Paint is all I have, sadly. I'm sure there are some great vector templates out there, though. Help, anyone?

Ah, but you are mistaken. Most of the templates we have are raster (Paint-compliant) templates, and only relatively recently have we begun the task of vectorizing some of the more common ones. At the very least, every vector template has a raster version as well...

All except the last hockey template (by shiznit) on the SSUR's template resource page are either gifs or jpgs. Go nuts!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Ah, but you are mistaken. Most of the templates we have are raster (Paint-compliant) templates, and only relatively recently have we begun the task of vectorizing some of the more common ones. At the very least, every vector template has a raster version as well...

All except the last hockey template (by shiznit) on the SSUR's template resource page are either gifs or jpgs. Go nuts!

I know, I use most of the fine templates on that page, but there isn't a decent SOCCER template out there... :cry:

NHLPlayoffSigOTT.gif

There were better soccer templates here before--check with paynomind he had a good one on the Stampman challenge--and won with it!

As to the unis--the Canucks one is great, the others just look generic--and the Canucks already have a corporate logo on their hockey jerseys!

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

"As you may or may not know, soccer jerseys are different, as they have one or many sponsors as the dominating logo on them. Therefore I took the names of the NHL teams' respective arenas and used the logo as the shirt's sponsor." (i.e. Corel Centre=Corel logo)

Okay, what about the New York Rangers, who play at Madison Square Garden and the New York Islanders, who play at Nassau County Veterans' Memorial Colisseum or the Detroit Red Wings, whose home ice is Joe Louis Arena, or even the Phoenix Coyotes, who play at Glendale (AZ) Arena? They don't have corporate sponsors who pay to splatter their corporate name all over the place. And what about the Gaylord Entertainment Center, home to the Nashville Predators? I don't see a Gaylord corporate logo anywhere. Quoting Karl Malden, "What do you do, what do you do?"

BTW, going a bit off topic for a moment, the Fleet Center may be changing its' name in September to reflect the merger with Bank of America. Probable name will be Bank of America Garden.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

"As you may or may not know, soccer jerseys are different, as they have one or many sponsors as the dominating logo on them. Therefore I took the names of the NHL teams' respective arenas and used the logo as the shirt's sponsor." (i.e. Corel Centre=Corel logo)

Okay, what about the New York Rangers, who play at Madison Square Garden and the New York Islanders, who play at Nassau County Veterans' Memorial Colisseum or the Detroit Red Wings, whose home ice is Joe Louis Arena? They don't have corporate sponsors who pay to splatter their corporate name all over the place. And what about the Gaylord Entertainment Center, home to the Nashville Predators? I don't see a Gaylord corporate logo anywhere. Quoting Karl Malden, "What do you do, what do you do?"

What do I do? I thought someone would ask of this situation, but nobody worry...as soon as my next batch of jereys are unveiled, say, soon enogh, all will be amazed at my handling of the issue. United Centre, MSG, Joe Louis, Nassau Vet, etc, all will be taken care of.

As for the Fleet Centre, well, I'll edit when needed.

NHLPlayoffSigOTT.gif

Interesting concept. Some of them I like a lot. There were a few that still seemed to be too "hockey" like the Calgary whites, but the Oilers for example worked really well.

Fun stuff, and I'll checking back to see more.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Off to a great start! I actually like the Oilers the best... much more of a soccer feel. A better template would work wonders - I know I've seen a few good ones around - but these are still good.

I do have one suggestion... instead of using the arena sponsor, maybe you could pick a local company as the sponsor. That would require a bit of homework on your part, but would mean that the sets would be a bit less predictable as we go on.

Just a thought.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Red Wings = Little Caesar's (Owned by the Ilitches)

Rangers = Cablevision (Team Owners)

Islanders = Computer Associates (owned by Isles owner Charles Wang)

Coyotes = Arizona Lottery (The Coyotes sponsor the Pick 3 Lottery Game. Oh by the way, I personally e-mailed you a Arizona Lottery logo from their web site!)

Got it?

Oh, BTW, United is the rights holder for the Blackhawks' home arena, and they're an airline, but I thought it'd be good if you used their no-frills airline "Ted" in their place.

(Note: Damn, I'm doing too much editing on my posts!)

One incongruous thing with NHL jerseys on soccer shirts - the nature of the design. NHL jerseys often run shoulder/arm designs a long way down the sleeve, and have a complimentary design in the lower third (with the middle obviously being reserved for the team logo). Soccer shirts generally tend to either have one simple all-covering design (a la stripes, similar to what you've done with the Oilers pinstripe), or a very minimalist design to compliment a solid colour. "Bottom striping" as you mention it, is largely unseen.

My point? What you've done with the Oilers design is good, it actually looks like a soccer design. I think with the others you have stuck too rigidly to the actual NHL pattern and it doesn't come across as a soccer shirt, but more of an NHL T-shirt.

Speaking of templates, have you tried Dsicriminhater?

Archived