Asheville Tourists New Logos

cmykenny

I was a fan of the old tourist bear, but I like this, the moon man reminds me of what Mr. Met might look like if the Mets ever did get around to moving to Mercury :hockeysmiley:

Beat me to it Discrim, handily. I was thinking Sandy Alderson shipped Mr. Met out because he's been associated with, mostly, decades of mediocrity. Part of Alderson's spring cleaning that's going to include changing everything but the players on the team. :mellow:

Anyway, love the job Plan B did here. Realy digging the stadium logo, very snazzy.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The perspective of the primary throws me off. The plate is in the bottom right, and the ball is being hit over the moon...but the ball looks like it's coming back toward the viewer, like it's being fouled off to the catcher's left.

If that moon-eating-ribs logo is on a hat, I'm buying it.

They should've gone full Asheville-eccentric and weird with this one - instead of home and road caps, they should've had different "day" and "night" caps with different "night" logos according to the states of the moon (full, crescent, etc) and wear whatever cap corresponds to the moon that night. Now THAT would've been awesome.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Great update, but again, it doesn't really scream "Tourists" to me either.

And this is why it is a problem. It is, no doubt, a fantastic identity. But when there is a disconnect between the team name and the logo, it makes it look like they don't care.

I love the package in and of itself, but they did sort of lose the beat along the way. The intrinsic value of a moon eating ribs is pretty awesome, but I fear Plan B was actually too clever on this one. They can't expect everyone else to get it. Most people will just wonder why the Tourists are from outer space now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Have any of you ever been to Asheville before? This identity doesn't "have to make sense"...much like the city is very different and eccentric in itself. A lot of things don't exactly make sense or seem like they belong in Asheville. I immediately got the moon/moonshine references along with the ribs reference. Asheville is such an interesting place because besides the fact that the people are awesome there, the weather is almost always perfect, the scenery is mindblowing, and it is geographically a great city...it's almost like the economy never hit that place at all. Did I mention they have a crazy amount of microbrews?!?

Seems almost all cities now have some closed down shops that are boarded up, vacant, and just have empty section of town...Asheville is scurrying with tourists every weekend with shops all filled and doors open wide...of course with all the odd and great shops you'd never expect when approaching this small city in the foothills of NC.

I absolutely love this package. From the colors, to the script, to the ingenious and well designed moon man...it's fantastic.

I keep finding stuff I like with these logos. The reflection of the baseball field on the sunglasses is a cherry on top. That hat is beautiful.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Have any of you ever been to Asheville before? This identity doesn't "have to make sense"...much like the city is very different and eccentric in itself. A lot of things don't exactly make sense or seem like they belong in Asheville. I immediately got the moon/moonshine references along with the ribs reference. Asheville is such an interesting place because besides the fact that the people are awesome there, the weather is almost always perfect, the scenery is mindblowing, and it is geographically a great city...it's almost like the economy never hit that place at all. Did I mention they have a crazy amount of microbrews?!?

Seems almost all cities now have some closed down shops that are boarded up, vacant, and just have empty section of town...Asheville is scurrying with tourists every weekend with shops all filled and doors open wide...of course with all the odd and great shops you'd never expect when approaching this small city in the foothills of NC.

Most of my weather experiences with Asheville have fallen into the ":censored: ing cold" range - but most of my visits have been at night during basketball season (UNCA plays in the Big South with Winthrop)...but that's pretty expected for the place being in the mountains.

Asheville is an awesome city, and this is just weird enough to work for it. Love it.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Most of my weather experiences with Asheville have fallen into the ":censored: ing cold" range - but most of my visits have been at night during basketball season (UNCA plays in the Big South with Winthrop)...but that's pretty expected for the place being in the mountains.

Yeah, it gets a little cold during that time of year...but during the winter when it is scorching hot everywhere in the South, the weather always just seems perfect there with a nice breeze. Every time I have went during the summer it seems the weather is always the same.

Am I the only one who's getting a McDonald's moon-head character vibe from the new look?

Not getting that at all - wasn't he a crescent?

He was indeed a crescent. What it is reminiscent of is the old NBC Late Night (the programming block, not the actual show) moon. It's the one used in the ads promoting Jay, Conan and Carson for later that night. I can't find it online right now, though.

The perspective of the primary throws me off. The plate is in the bottom right, and the ball is being hit over the moon...but the ball looks like it's coming back toward the viewer, like it's being fouled off to the catcher's left.

If that moon-eating-ribs logo is on a hat, I'm buying it.

They should've gone full Asheville-eccentric and weird with this one - instead of home and road caps, they should've had different "day" and "night" caps with different "night" logos according to the states of the moon (full, crescent, etc) and wear whatever cap corresponds to the moon that night. Now THAT would've been awesome.

It's listed as an alt cap logo on The Clink Room (Plan B's blog). It's not up on the Tourists' online store yet, but I hope it will be.

From the Clink Room:

Asheville-Rebrand.png

• 4 weeks later...

Is that a rack of ribs with a meat-cleaver bat? Really?

That may be the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Ever.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Archived