2011 NFL Offseason Thread

Cujo

Also remember the Eagles signed Kearse the same year they got TO

Technically they traded for TO.

Thanks guys for the addition and cliarification, I was brainstorming about teams/players in the gym this morning

Replace Jevon for T.O., and I still get three signees, if Berry was considered a "blue chip" or "red chip" when he left DEN.

Recently, I still cannot name a major player who moved to make a team a championship team. I am not sure if Plaxico going to the NYG in 2005 is red chip? That would be another, but they are still rare.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it interesting that not that many teams recently have gone from being perennial challengers to anything putting them over the edge. The Steelers maybe, the Bucs and Colts after the coaching switcheroo, but most Superbowl winners have either come from almost nowhere or have won the Superbowl in the last few years.

Truth is the Chargers probably need to take a step back before they can move forward and really challenge for the Superbowl again. Perhaps they need to find a talented bunch of young draftees, in the way you can only do with early draft picks, and then fit some good veterans around that. That's how most Superbowl teams are built surely?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I find it interesting that not that many teams recently have gone from being perennial challengers to anything putting them over the edge. The Steelers maybe, the Bucs and Colts after the coaching switcheroo, but most Superbowl winners have either come from almost nowhere or have won the Superbowl in the last few years.

Truth is the Chargers probably need to take a step back before they can move forward and really challenge for the Superbowl again. Perhaps they need to find a talented bunch of young draftees, in the way you can only do with early draft picks, and then fit some good veterans around that. That's how most Superbowl teams are built surely?

Those guys had the league's top rated overall offense AND defense this past season...and still missed the playoffs..the only NFL team ever to have pulled off that trifecta. That's not a lack of talent; it's piss-poor coaching and management. Unfortunately for Chargers fanatics, unless the Spanii somehow or other or remove themselves from the equation, I don't see things improving there anytime soon.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Those guys had the league's top rated overall offense AND defense this past season...and still missed the playoffs..the only NFL team ever to have pulled off that trifecta. That's not a lack of talent; it's piss-poor coaching and management. Unfortunately for Chargers fanatics, unless the Spanii somehow or other or remove themselves from the equation, I don't see things improving there anytime soon.

The team was also dead last in Punting. It is the bottom of the 53 and gameday 45-man roster are those who play special team and when those guys are 4th round picks and below, then it really does not matter if you have the 18th pick or the 28th pick in that round since one is trying to draft for "need". Part of it is talent evaluation, part of it is the player's desire/ability, part is also just the randomness of the NFL and how even teams are overall.

I am not talking about a lack of talent. It isn't. But go look at the records, teams who don't win reasonably quickly don't win, usually. At some point you have to question, not just coaching, but desire. It takes a certain type of player to win in the regular season but often a different type in the post season. The Jets, for instance, seem to me to have been recruited and coached to win in the playoffs. The Chargers are good during the regular season, but poor post season. At some point, if you want to go all the way, you have to strip back and rebuild. Unless of course you happy going 10-6 regular season but then 1-1 or worse post season!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I am not talking about a lack of talent. It isn't. But go look at the records, teams who don't win reasonably quickly don't win, usually. At some point you have to question, not just coaching, but desire. It takes a certain type of player to win in the regular season but often a different type in the post season. The Jets, for instance, seem to me to have been recruited and coached to win in the playoffs. The Chargers are good during the regular season, but poor post season. At some point, if you want to go all the way, you have to strip back and rebuild. Unless of course you happy going 10-6 regular season but then 1-1 or worse post season!

So even with the draft picks they have, what should the Partiots do next? The NFL is the most random league in North America. We have seen that for decades as half the playoff teams change every year.

So even with the draft picks they have, what should the Partiots do next? The NFL is the most random league in North America. We have seen that for decades as half the playoff teams change every year.

Even the Patriots can find something useful. if I were them in the early rounds I would take pretty much the best player available at the moment. One thing Belichick has been great at is knowing when to ship players out, because he knows the cover he has for veterans can step up.

The other key is playing leadership. The Pats have Brady, but haven't won a Superbowl since giving up some key defenseman. Have the Chargers ever had great defensive leadership? Or offensive leadership when Tomlinson hasn't been around? It's alright griping about coaches, but they don't cross the line. You need leadership amongst those that do cross the line as well.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The team was also dead last in Punting. It is the bottom of the 53 and gameday 45-man roster are those who play special team and when those guys are 4th round picks and below, then it really does not matter if you have the 18th pick or the 28th pick in that round since one is trying to draft for "need". Part of it is talent evaluation, part of it is the player's desire/ability, part is also just the randomness of the NFL and how even teams are overall.

Which reinforces piss-poor coaching and management. (And in this quoted case, scouting.)

It's been said that a good coaching can make an an average player good, and a good player great. Of course, no amount of coaching in the world can help correct a woeful kicker...but good scouting and management can find and bring in a better one. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

The Chargers do have leaders in all three phases: Rivers and Gates on offense, Cooper on defense, and Binn on special teams. It's the coaching and drafting that is doing the Bolts in.

I just don't think it's that easy. The Chargers have done pretty well over the last, what, decade? Really bad coaching and bad drafting doesn't achieve those results (go ask Lions fans about that). Does that mean Turner etc is the answer? No. But getting rid of the management isn't going to be an instant solution either. Players need to step up as well.

And just on player leadership, is Rivers really a leader? Good QB possibly, but is he a leader in the way Brady, Manning or Brees for instance are? He doesn't have the playoff record that would suggest he does? Given his stats in 2010, and his teams win loss I am not convinced that's real on field leadership either. Seems a bit like getting the easy yards, then dissapearing when it really matters!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Eagles promote OFFENSIVE LINE coach Juan Castillo to DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR.

I don't know anything about coaching, but first reaction is WTF? He would have succeeded Morningwheg as OC if he got a head coaching job, so maybe they were afraid of losing him and wanted to keep him locked up on staff? But DC???

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't know anything about coaching, but first reaction is WTF? He would have succeeded Morningwheg as OC if he got a head coaching job, so maybe they were afraid of losing him and wanted to keep him locked up on staff? But DC???

Man...that IS kinda strange. I can't recall having seen anything like that happen before in NFL coaching ranks. Who knows..maybe the guy does know some defense. At the very least, maybe he could give the D-linemen inside pointers on how to handle/beat their opponents on the other side of the line...I guess???

But yeah-peculiar move there.

Man...that IS kinda strange. I can't recall having seen anything like that happen before in NFL coaching ranks. Who knows..maybe the guy does know some defense. At the very least, maybe he could give the D-linemen inside pointers on how to handle/beat their opponents on the other side of the line...I guess???

Would be vaguely understandable if Reid's background was defense, but he was a former offensive line coach himself. Interesting move, I suppose an O-line coach needs to know how to read defensive set ups, so you'd have that level of understanding defensive play calling.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It is not that weird. I do not want to upset Tnak, but in the Miami Herald blogslast week, beat writer Armando Salguero released facts about the new Dolphins offensive braintrust.

From the blog:

Quarterback coach Karl Dorrell has never been a quarterback coach before on any level.

Fact is running back coach Jeff Nixon has never been a running backs coach in the NFL.

Fact is tight end coach Dan Campbell has never been a position coach at any level before.

Fact is wide receivers coach Steve Bush has never filled that job at any level.

Fact is wide receiver assistant Ike Hilliard has never coached in the NFL at all.

Fact is five of the six new hires the Dolphins just made to coach offense will be new to their jobs either because they never coached the position before, never held an assistant's job for that position in the NFL before, or never coached in the NFL.

Offensive coordinator Brian Daboll Miami's most experienced new hire. Daboll has two years experience as an NFL offensive coordinator as he was the Cleveland Browns OC in 2009 and 2010.

I just don't think it's that easy. The Chargers have done pretty well over the last, what, decade? Really bad coaching and bad drafting doesn't achieve those results (go ask Lions fans about that).

We've been going downhill ever since Norv was hired. We won one less playoff game every year from 2007-2009, and then failed to make the playoffs or even win the division this year. What's next - the basement of the AFC West?

The Lions' situation is not comparable to the Chargers' situation. The reason why the Bolts are still "good" is because of smart drafting by John Butler and then by AJ during the Schottenheimer era. We still have plenty of talented holdovers from that time period. But the drafts have been getting worse and worse since Norv was hired, leaving not a lot of young talent to replace the older guys. I mean, Buster Davis? Larry English? Really? And Ryan Mathews was benched by Norv the second he made a rookie mistake this season. How's he supposed to get better? It's just lunacy in San Diego.

And just on player leadership, is Rivers really a leader? Good QB possibly, but is he a leader in the way Brady, Manning or Brees for instance are?

Maybe not on the level of Brady/Manning/Brees, but Rivers does have a reputation of leadership. The players and local media praise his leadership often.

He doesn't have the playoff record that would suggest he does?

Let's take a look at those playoff losses, though:

2006 vs. Patriots - Marlon McCree inexcusably fumbles the interception that would have iced the game for the Chargers. Reche Caldwell returns the fumble for a Patriots touchdown. On the Chargers' final drive, Rivers gets them down to the 36-yard line, but Kaeding misses the game-winning field goal. I don't see how you can blame Rivers for that loss.

2007 vs. Patriots - Rivers played on a torn ligament. It's a miracle the game was that close considering Rivers' injury. Again, I can't blame him for that loss, in fact, I'm still impressed that he played.

2008 vs. Steelers - The Chargers didn't touch the ball for the entire third quarter. That's the fault of the defense and special teams, not the offense.

2009 vs. Jets - Kaeding misses THREE easy field goals. If he makes even two of them, the Chargers win. Again, not Rivers' fault.

Rivers has actually performed well in the playoffs, but every single year he's made it there, it's inevitably spoiled by either Kaeding or injuries. Just goes to show that playoff performance doesn't always determine leadership ability.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Former players are saying that he used to stay up overnight with the late Jim Johnson working on ways to attack different protection schemes, and that a lot of Johnson's unorthodox blitzes were designed along with Castillo. At the presser today, he claims that he is a defensive guy trapped in an offensive-coaching position (guys will coach anything wen they're trying to break in). Of course, his only actual defensive coaching experience was as a defensive coordinator... for a high school!

Reid said that he had considered him to replace Johnson, but he was too valuable as the OL coach. He waited so long to make the move because he wanted to secure a strong replacement, which he did by luring Howard Mudd out of retirement. Steve Mariucci, Ron Jawarski, and a few former players were asked about this move today, and were all completely shocked. They all said that he's a very respected coach, but that it's shocking that they'd make him the DC.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I just don't think it's that easy. The Chargers have done pretty well over the last, what, decade? Really bad coaching and bad drafting doesn't achieve those results (go ask Lions fans about that).

We've been going downhill ever since Norv was hired. We won one less playoff game every year from 2007-2009, and then failed to make the playoffs or even win the division this year. What's next - the basement of the AFC West?

The Lions' situation is not comparable to the Chargers' situation. The reason why the Bolts are still "good" is because of smart drafting by John Butler and then by AJ during the Schottenheimer era. We still have plenty of talented holdovers from that time period. But the drafts have been getting worse and worse since Norv was hired, leaving not a lot of young talent to replace the older guys. I mean, Buster Davis? Larry English? Really? And Ryan Mathews was benched by Norv the second he made a rookie mistake this season. How's he supposed to get better? It's just lunacy in San Diego.

And just on player leadership, is Rivers really a leader? Good QB possibly, but is he a leader in the way Brady, Manning or Brees for instance are?

Maybe not on the level of Brady/Manning/Brees, but Rivers does have a reputation of leadership. The players and local media praise his leadership often.

He doesn't have the playoff record that would suggest he does?

Let's take a look at those playoff losses, though:

2006 vs. Patriots - Marlon McCree inexcusably fumbles the interception that would have iced the game for the Chargers. Reche Caldwell returns the fumble for a Patriots touchdown. On the Chargers' final drive, Rivers gets them down to the 36-yard line, but Kaeding misses the game-winning field goal. I don't see how you can blame Rivers for that loss.

2007 vs. Patriots - Rivers played on a torn ligament. It's a miracle the game was that close considering Rivers' injury. Again, I can't blame him for that loss, in fact, I'm still impressed that he played.

2008 vs. Steelers - The Chargers didn't touch the ball for the entire third quarter. That's the fault of the defense and special teams, not the offense.

2009 vs. Jets - Kaeding misses THREE easy field goals. If he makes even two of them, the Chargers win. Again, not Rivers' fault.

Rivers has actually performed well in the playoffs, but every single year he's made it there, it's inevitably spoiled by either Kaeding or injuries. Just goes to show that playoff performance doesn't always determine leadership ability.

^ Bravo...very good job at digging into the details of that there.

Ya done done good, Lil' Boy Blue...ya done done good.

------------------------------------------

And now, to the surprise of absolutely no one, the 2010 AP Coach of the Year award goes to (drumroll please)...the Hoody.

Take your best guess as to who came in, albeit very distant, second place. Yup--none other than Tampa Bay's Raheem Morris.

Ya done done good, Mo-Mo...ya done done good.

If he had a torn ligament, was he really helping the team by being out there? I get the tough guy thing, and that it's admirable, but wouldn't a 100% backup (don't know who it was) be better than a starter with a torn ligament? I don't know the specifics of this situation, but that would seem the case to me.

Archived