2011 NFL Offseason Thread

Cujo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is Fisher still considered a quality head coach? The Titans missed the playoffs five times in his last seven years with them. They haven't played a truly meaningful playoff game since 2002, and their pattern of choking and underachieving is no better than the Chargers under Marty and Norv. He got the Titans to the Super Bowl once in his sixteen seasons as head coach, and surprise surprise, they choked that game up. A large part of the Titans fanbase has wanted him gone for years, and to top it all off, he's known for pulling a-holish stunts like this:

jeff-fisher-peyton-manning-jersey.jpg

Fisher's been good enough to cling on to his job for sixteen years, but let's not pretend like the Titans just drove Bill Freaking Belichick out of the organization.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

My ideal choice is Gruden. Easily one of the smartest and hardest-working NFL head coaches in recent memory, and he would give the Chargers the ass-whooping they sorely need to play hard ALL season instead of just in November and December.

Plus it would get him off ESPN, where he's proven to be one of the most grating and annoying commentators ever. :P

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

My ideal choice is Gruden. Easily one of the smartest and hardest-working NFL head coaches in recent memory, and he would give the Chargers the ass-whooping they sorely need to play hard ALL season instead of just in November and December.

Plus it would get him off ESPN, where he's proven to be one of the most grating and annoying commentators ever. :P

Well yeah, I'd love to have Chuckie rocking the powder blue as well. I think he's happy in his comfy commentators job, however :(

How is Fisher still considered a quality head coach? The Titans missed the playoffs five times in his last seven years with them. They haven't played a truly meaningful playoff game since 2002, and their pattern of choking and underachieving is no better than the Chargers under Marty and Norv. He got the Titans to the Super Bowl once in his sixteen seasons as head coach, and surprise surprise, they choked that game up. A large part of the Titans fanbase has wanted him gone for years, and to top it all off, he's known for pulling a-holish stunts like this:

jeff-fisher-peyton-manning-jersey.jpg

Fisher's been good enough to cling on to his job for sixteen years, but let's not pretend like the Titans just drove Bill Freaking Belichick out of the organization.

I disagree with your assessment of that being an a-holish stunt, but I agree (I can't believe I just said that) with the rest. He's certainly a good coach. I'm not sure that's arguable. But great? Belichickish? Hardly.

Of course I do wish that the Eagles had promoted him in '91 instead of Rich Kotite, but whatever.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Gruden? Are you sure?

He is average at best, but he, along with Cowher have that "tough guy aura" which the media eats up.

Following his Super Bowl win, his coaching record is under .500 (45-49). While HC in Tampa, he he never even drafted a player to make the Pro Bowl, so he isn't that good at evaluating talent.

You know also has a Super Bowl win and an even better winning percentage for his career? Brian Billick. Want him? Didn't think so.

I recall him saying on MNF last year that if the Chargers came calling, he would take the job in a heartbeat.

Then we hit pitfall number 2. Namely AJ Smith being to full of himself for his own good.

I just remember that Titans fans were up in arms at the sight of their head coach wearing the jersey of a division rival's quarterback. There's a reason you don't see Belichick strutting around in a Sanchez jersey.

Because Belichik has no personality and can't poke fun at himself.

Jeff Fisher out as Titans head coach.

Fans of the Browns, Cowboys, and Bengals are really happy with their teams coaching decisions right about now.

Browns wouldn't have wanted him anyways. Holmgren wanted an offensive guy. But yeah, I'm sure Jerry Jones is thrilled.

6fQjS3M.png

Jeff Fisher out as Titans head coach.

Fans of the Browns, Cowboys, and Bengals are really happy with their teams coaching decisions right about now.

Browns wouldn't have wanted him anyways. Holmgren wanted an offensive guy. But yeah, I'm sure Jerry Jones is thrilled.

The Tennessean reports that Fisher received a buyout from between $4-8M. With that money should not coach this year, since a lockout is looming. He could just wait a year to see is Lane Kiffin is making progress at USC, or even if the UCLA job is open. He has options.

I just remember that Titans fans were up in arms at the sight of their head coach wearing the jersey of a division rival's quarterback. There's a reason you don't see Belichick strutting around in a Sanchez jersey.

Because Belichick knows better than to wear the jersey of a mediocre QB?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ron Rivera has been a Rooney Rule interview, and he's Puerto Rican, so the minority candidate doesn't have to be black, but obviously, it's specifically meant to help black people. Nobody laments the legions of Pakistanis who can never go beyond being mere players.

Ok, that is hilarious.

BB52Big.jpg

I don't want Fisher. It'd be Marty all over again - dominant regular season followed by going out with a whimper in the postseason - and that's if he doesn't start any feuds with his own players (which, considering the VY debacle, is not a given).

You know Fisher has won in the playoffs before. Granted he hasn't won in the playoffs since Steve McNair, but he did win in the playoffs.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Gruden? Are you sure?

He is average at best, but he, along with Cowher have that "tough guy aura" which the media eats up.

Following his Super Bowl win, his coaching record is under .500 (45-49). While HC in Tampa, he he never even drafted a player to make the Pro Bowl, so he isn't that good at evaluating talent.

You know also has a Super Bowl win and an even better winning percentage for his career? Brian Billick. Want him? Didn't think so.

First BBTV agrees with Lights Out and now this... I actually agree with dfwabel. This 2012 end of the world thing may have some merit after all. Anyway...

Never have I understood the fascination with Gruden. What's the guy done besides win a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's team? He's hype personified. Fans get all moist in their nether regions over Gruden because he put on a good show for NFL Films. He's "tough." He's "Chucky." Etc. The media fellates Gruden because he's always good for some copy. The truth is that Gruden is about as overrated as they come. If you're going to get aroused over a former coach turned TV guy you all may be better served spending your time fantasizing about Bill Cowher. In either case, I'd say be careful what you wish for.

PS: Does anyone outside fans really give a flying :censored: that Jeff Fisher wore a Colts jersey? Honestly, how is that even relevant when assessing his coaching ability?

BB52Big.jpg

Archived