2011 NFL Offseason Thread

Cujo

I just don't think it's that easy. The Chargers have done pretty well over the last, what, decade? Really bad coaching and bad drafting doesn't achieve those results (go ask Lions fans about that).

We've been going downhill ever since Norv was hired. We won one less playoff game every year from 2007-2009, and then failed to make the playoffs or even win the division this year. What's next - the basement of the AFC West?

The Lions' situation is not comparable to the Chargers' situation. The reason why the Bolts are still "good" is because of smart drafting by John Butler and then by AJ during the Schottenheimer era. We still have plenty of talented holdovers from that time period. But the drafts have been getting worse and worse since Norv was hired, leaving not a lot of young talent to replace the older guys. I mean, Buster Davis? Larry English? Really? And Ryan Mathews was benched by Norv the second he made a rookie mistake this season. How's he supposed to get better? It's just lunacy in San Diego.

And just on player leadership, is Rivers really a leader? Good QB possibly, but is he a leader in the way Brady, Manning or Brees for instance are?

Maybe not on the level of Brady/Manning/Brees, but Rivers does have a reputation of leadership. The players and local media praise his leadership often.

He doesn't have the playoff record that would suggest he does?

Let's take a look at those playoff losses, though:

2006 vs. Patriots - Marlon McCree inexcusably fumbles the interception that would have iced the game for the Chargers. Reche Caldwell returns the fumble for a Patriots touchdown. On the Chargers' final drive, Rivers gets them down to the 36-yard line, but Kaeding misses the game-winning field goal. I don't see how you can blame Rivers for that loss.

2007 vs. Patriots - Rivers played on a torn ligament. It's a miracle the game was that close considering Rivers' injury. Again, I can't blame him for that loss, in fact, I'm still impressed that he played.

2008 vs. Steelers - The Chargers didn't touch the ball for the entire third quarter. That's the fault of the defense and special teams, not the offense.

2009 vs. Jets - Kaeding misses THREE easy field goals. If he makes even two of them, the Chargers win. Again, not Rivers' fault.

Rivers has actually performed well in the playoffs, but every single year he's made it there, it's inevitably spoiled by either Kaeding or injuries. Just goes to show that playoff performance doesn't always determine leadership ability.

But they all highlight the lack of player leadership in one way or another at crucial times in games. And if you can't blame Rivers for those defeats, how can you blame Turner or management?

One of the kicks Kaeding missed was a 57 yarder(not an easy one). Against the Steelers, Rivers did throw a pick after a big Sproles return. Still, though against the Jets one of the picks you had to have hats off to Revis for the play. That game, the defense let Greene walk right in, and part of me feels that first touchdown to Keller could've been batted down. Also, that Patriots team in 06' didn't have Moss or Welker, and had an over-the-hill Corey Dillon and a rookie in Laurence Maroney as RBs, so it's like how the hell do you blow that?

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure whether to put this here or in the Super Bowl thread (or if it's even been discussed already), but I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this:

If next season is wiped out, including what's supposed to be Super Bowl XLVI in Indy, does the NFL plan to just skip over that Roman numeral and keep calling the 2013 New Orleans game Super Bowl XLVII, or would they renumber the 2013 game as Super Bowl XLVI?

CCSLC signature.png

Not sure whether to put this here or in the Super Bowl thread (or if it's even been discussed already), but I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this:

If next season is wiped out, including what's supposed to be Super Bowl XLVI in Indy, does the NFL plan to just skip over that Roman numeral and keep calling the 2013 New Orleans game Super Bowl XLVII, or would they renumber the 2013 game as Super Bowl XLVI?

Trust me, this is the same league that acts like Professional Football never existed prior to the merger. So of course they'll simply call the Super Bowl in New Orleans, Super Bowl XLVI, and probably give Indianapolis a Super Bowl after the New York/New Jersey one.

Tom Brady is the first unanimous MVP.

Yet another thing for egotistical, entitled, bandwagon-jumping Pats "fans" to crow about. Brady's a great player but he isn't God, like the media seems to think he is.

I'm shocked Vick and Rodgers didn't get any votes. If I had a vote, I would have easily voted for one of those two.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

OK, I'm not exactly a Brady fan, but based objectively on this year's regular season, who would you vote for instead?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Already said it:

I'm shocked Vick and Rodgers didn't get any votes. If I had a vote, I would have easily voted for one of those two.

Michael Vick and Aaron Rodgers didn't have the best numbers, but Vick resurrected his career, put up some legendary performances (shredding the Redskins on MNF, first and foremost) and led the Eagles to the playoffs in the first year of the post-McNabb era. Rodgers led his team to the Super Bowl, which Brady failed to do, and did that in only his third year as a starter. He also put up some great numbers of his own AND finally made the recent Packers known for something other than Favre and his drama.

And most importantly, I'm tired of the MVP always being Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Frankly, there's other great quarterbacks in the league who deserve recognition besides those two.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Already said it:

Michael Vick and Aaron Rodgers didn't have the best numbers, but Vick resurrected his career, put up some legendary performances (shredding the Redskins on MNF, first and foremost) and led the Eagles to the playoffs in the first year of the post-McNabb era. Rodgers led his team to the Super Bowl, which Brady failed to do, and did that in only his third year as a starter. He also put up some great numbers of his own AND finally made the recent Packers known for something other than Favre and his drama.

And most importantly, I'm tired of the MVP always being Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Frankly, there's other great quarterbacks in the league who deserve recognition besides those two.

Playoffs are irrelevant to the awards, so Rodger's performance this postseason is not up for consideration. Based on the regular season, Rodgers helmed an erratic team that displayed an (at times) almost fatal lack of clutchness (losing to Detroit?! In a playoff race?! Really?!). Vick got his recognition as the Comeback Player of the Year.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Already said it:

I understand where you're coming from, but your hatred of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning is really unfounded. The NFL's Most Valuable Player Award, is one that's bestowed upon someone for their efforts in the regular season only, not regular season and playoffs. I could possibly see Michael Vick in the discussion, but not Aaron Rodgers. It also didn't help the fact that Michael Vick flamed out at the end of the season rather badly, and Aaron Rodgers had his worst season statistically speaking.

Already said it:

The award isn't about the nicest story, its about the best player. I think a defender like Clay Matthews or Troy Palomalu would be a better shout if you wanna go down the yawn yawn not Brady again route. But even still, in a QB league, is there another QB around who has performed as well as Brady, and led his team to as good a record?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Tom Brady is the first unanimous MVP.

Yet another thing for egotistical, entitled, bandwagon-jumping Pats "fans" to crow about. Brady's a great player but he isn't God, like the media seems to think he is.

Woohoo, yeah, Tom Brady is God, he is the MVP baby! Go Steelers!

...yeah. Would you prefer that Rivers won MVP to extinguish your West Coast conspiracy complex, or even Rodgers because he's in the Super Bowl even though this is a regular season award? Me too. You seem to care about who wins MVP more than anyone I know, especially Brady himself. Sure it's nice, but we all already know he's a great player and it doesn't put the Patriots in the Super Bowl right now.

And come on... there really wasn't any better QB this year, stats wise. Plus he was on the team with the best record, which means a lot to voters.

Welcome to the dark side of social media, where any chucklehead can post something on their wall or twitter feed, and JESUS CHRIST IT MUST BE TRUE BECAUSE ITS THE INTERNET!

/Seriously, who stages a palace coup at this point in the offseason?

Today, we are all otaku.

Local idiot and former fullback Kyle Eckel started this rumor as a joke on his facebook and people ran with it. He's been on every radio show on every station apologizing for making it up.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There was another rumor circulating today that the last 6 years of Mike Patterson's contract were voided because of the CBA, but that isn't true either.

The Eagles did announce a signing though....Phillip Hunt, the CFL's top DE (16 sacks this past season)

Those "other great QBs" (Who are we kidding? We both know you mean Rivers) aren't better than Manning or Brady. Sorry but it's true. I'm always up for some Patriot/Boston bashing but as Rams80 pointed out, who had a better season than Tom Brady? (I suppose we could throw out the names of a few defensive players or something but again; who are we kidding? The NFL MVP award is basically the "best QB award.")

And how do you not know that the postseason has nothing to do with MVP voting? That's not meant as a knock on you. I'm honestly surprised by it.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived