2011 NFL Offseason Thread

Cujo

Rick Reilly with a rare and dubious achievement in his most recent piece on the lockout and how unsympathetic the owners are: he manages to destroy the entire premise of his column in just the first sentence! Some of the less talented wretches in the Cloying, Smarmy, Pseudo-Intellectual More Than A Mere Sportswriter phylum--your Plaschkes, your Telanders, your Alboms--sometimes go ten, twelve paragraphs before putting forth some asinine fallacy, oversight, or contradiction that categorically undermines the entire argument and makes you realize you've wasted your time, but this, this! To lead off with a crescendo of emotional appeals and utterly blow the very first one? Good god, that's journalistic excellence. Behold:

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6177574

Are you the kind of person who loves hearing the bug zapper?

No, I like to sit and read on the patio and get lots of mosquito bites. Dumbass. Also, by equating NFL ownership with a device most commonly used for killing mosquitos, you've circumlocutionally insinuated that the players, their agents, and their union are a bunch of bloodsuckers. Bra-vo. Booyah. Didn't even have to read another word.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saints signed Pierre Thomas to a 4-year deal and that makes me happy. The guy's stats won't blow anybody away but he's the poster boy for the saying, "big time players make big time plays." Regular season, playoffs, Super Bowl...the guy just comes up big. He's the anti-Reggie. Best of all, he's a certified Falcon-killer. He always has great games against Atlanta.

Oh, and I have his jersey, so there's that. B)

They also gave K Garrett Hartley a 5-year deal.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Rick Reilly with a rare and dubious achievement in his most recent piece on the lockout and how unsympathetic the owners are: he manages to destroy the entire premise of his column in just the first sentence! Some of the less talented wretches in the Cloying, Smarmy, Pseudo-Intellectual More Than A Mere Sportswriter phylum--your Plaschkes, your Telanders, your Alboms--sometimes go ten, twelve paragraphs before putting forth some asinine fallacy, oversight, or contradiction that categorically undermines the entire argument and makes you realize you've wasted your time, but this, this! To lead off with a crescendo of emotional appeals and utterly blow the very first one? Good god, that's journalistic excellence. Behold:

No, I like to sit and read on the patio and get lots of mosquito bites. Dumbass. Also, by equating NFL ownership with a device most commonly used for killing mosquitos, you've circumlocutionally insinuated that the players, their agents, and their union are a bunch of bloodsuckers. Bra-vo. Booyah. Didn't even have to read another word.

Football is a distant third to hockey and baseball on my favorite sports list so I won't care either way if the NFL locks out their season, but I can't decide what will be worse. If the season is played will ESPN's typical "every other sport is a mere idiotic distraction to the NFL, the one true athletic competition played by gods among men" coverage be more annoying than the incessant "whahh, we have nothing to talk about. We could focus on these other sports, but there's no football wahhh." coverage of the lockout?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Football is a distant third to hockey and baseball on my favorite sports list so I won't care either way if the NFL locks out their season, but I can't decide what will be worse. If the season is played will ESPN's typical "every other sport is a mere idiotic distraction to the NFL, the one true athletic competition played by gods among men" coverage be more annoying than the incessant "whahh, we have nothing to talk about. We could focus on these other sports, but there's no football wahhh." coverage of the lockout?

I'm kinda hoping that they don't focus on college football like they do the NFL. I can't stand their NFL coverage, but their college football coverage (well, aside from the occasional dumb comment from Mark May & Lou Holtz whenever he decides ":censored: it, I'm Lou Holtz, I do what I want.") is brilliant and has been for about a decade now. Lord knows I want no part of Trent Dilfer on College Football Live.

Why are you reading him at all now?

Rick Reilly® consistently rewrites his stories.

Then he will go caddy for someone for TV and try to be slightly funnier than Kenny Mayne. Sadly, it still gets him paid.

I'm gon laugh like hell if he even thinks about trying to jump onto his brother's squad. (It also wouldn't surprise me one bit...Tampa's starting to get about as bad as Denver is about stockpiling RBs.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Yeah, Carnell is entering free agency, so it is entirely possible. Still, it'll be funny as hell to see.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm gon laugh like hell if he even thinks about trying to jump onto his brother's squad. (It also wouldn't surprise me one bit...Tampa's starting to get about as bad as Denver is about stockpiling RBs.)

Well, now that Shanny's in DC...and Ryan Tourain was the starting tailback at the end of last season, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Tiki suiting up for the 'Skins. Not that I want to see it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Tiki is a failure.

His TV career fizzled.

His NFL career ended too early and he has less than zero chance at Canton. The only way he gets enshrined is if he kills Rhonde and assumes his life.

He has not played in five years and now he tries to comeback at the age of 36. Nobody is going to want him.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Tiki is a failure.

His TV career fizzled.

His NFL career ended too early and he has less than zero chance at Canton. The only way he gets enshrined is if he kills Rhonde and assumes his life.

He has not played in five years and now he tries to comeback at the age of 36. Nobody is going to want him.

This assumes Ronde is a HOFer. Which I don't think he is.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Tiki is a failure.

His TV career fizzled.

Failure is a harsh word, I prefer unsuccessful person.

Tiki is a failure.

His TV career fizzled.

Ronde is a lock for the Hall of Fame. He has been an All-Pro five times, and a top Defensive Back on a Super Bowl winning team. No CB in NFL history has more sacks, and is the only player with 25 sacks and 40 ints in a NFL career.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Tiki is a failure.

His TV career fizzled.

Ronde is a lock for the Hall of Fame. He has been an All-Pro five times, and a top Defensive Back on a Super Bowl winning team. No CB in NFL history has more sacks, and is the only player with 25 sacks and 40 ints in a NFL career.

Ronde Barber deserves HOF induction about as much as I do.

BB52Big.jpg

Tiki is a failure.

His TV career fizzled.

So were Todd Lyght and Dexter McCleon, and you don't see me advocating their Hall of Fame cases.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Tiki is a failure.

His TV career fizzled.

The Argonauts LOVE guys like this. How's his professional relationship with Cleo Lemon?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Tiki is a failure.

His TV career fizzled.

So anything less than a HoF career and your a failure? That's a bit harsh.

I'm also not convinced you can say his TV career is over exactly. There are plenty of color commentary gigs he could get, I am sure. Maybe the guy just wants one last chance to show what he can do on the football field.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived