2011 NFL Offseason Thread

Cujo

I wonder if the whole kick off thing would have even merited a shrug of the shoulders but for the strike at the moment. Feels a bit as if Goodell and the owners are in a box where they can do no right.

I tend to think the move is a decent enough one, it sounds like you might get a few more variations of kick off, and strategy of when to run it back or not will be interesting to see as well. If you have a Hester or a Cribbs, you're still gonna like your chances on a run back more often than not.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another interesting move, a good one IMO, is that the replay official will now automatically review scoring plays. The only weird thing is that a coach will still have to challenge if the ruling on the field is that it's not a TD, for example a receiver ruled out of bounds or a runner ruled short of the goal line. Why not just review them all?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I wonder if the whole kick off thing would have even merited a shrug of the shoulders but for the strike at the moment. Feels a bit as if Goodell and the owners are in a box where they can do no right.

I tend to think the move is a decent enough one, it sounds like you might get a few more variations of kick off, and strategy of when to run it back or not will be interesting to see as well. If you have a Hester or a Cribbs, you're still gonna like your chances on a run back more often than not.

You don't remember the bellyaching about the rules changes from last year (and the year before)? There was plenty of talk.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

You don't remember the bellyaching about the rules changes from last year (and the year before)? There was plenty of talk.

True enough I suppose, but I wonder if the sharpness of the tone, the direct criticism of Goodell (when it's the owners that agree to these moves) and the general negativity towards the direction of the game isn't at least partly strike related?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Another interesting move, a good one IMO, is that the replay official will now automatically review scoring plays. The only weird thing is that a coach will still have to challenge if the ruling on the field is that it's not a TD, for example a receiver ruled out of bounds or a runner ruled short of the goal line. Why not just review them all?

My only concern with this is the delays to the game. On the second point, I wonder if at least some referees might start out giving marginal decisions as TDs in order that they can be referred?

Personally if it were me, I would take the challenges away altigether and allow everything to be referred by the onfield referees. (Personally that's how I'd have it in all sports). Make sure refs only refer important calls and make sure players and coaches understand that refs calls aren't to be questioned either during a game or afterwards, publicly, whilst instituting tougher internal scrutiny of referees and decisions.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

My only concern with this is the delays to the game. On the second point, I wonder if at least some referees might start out giving marginal decisions as TDs in order that they can be referred?

Personally if it were me, I would take the challenges away altigether and allow everything to be referred by the onfield referees. (Personally that's how I'd have it in all sports). Make sure refs only refer important calls and make sure players and coaches understand that refs calls aren't to be questioned either during a game or afterwards, publicly, whilst instituting tougher internal scrutiny of referees and decisions.

Taking into account delays to the game being played on a field (a good point there, Saintsfan), I've long thought that any instant replay should be limited to sixty seconds. If the replay official can't find clear, irrefutable eveidence to overturn a call on the field, the play stands as called. Along with that, all fans in the stadium (if they don't already), in addition to those of us watching on TV (since we already do), should be able to see the same exact camera angles the replay official sees. That way, everyone sees the same thing and everyone's on the same sheet of music.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Taking into account delays to the game being played on a field (a good point there, Saintsfan), I've long thought that any instant replay should be limited to sixty seconds. If the replay official can't find clear, irrefutable eveidence to overturn a call on the field, the play stands as called. Along with that, all fans in the stadium (if they don't already), in addition to those of us watching on TV (since we already do), should be able to see the same exact camera angles the replay official sees. That way, everyone sees the same thing and everyone's on the same sheet of music.

Another thing I'd like to see, personally, is the on the field ref/umpire make the decision on video replay, from a big screen, rather than a guy in a booth, as some sports have now. I understand crowd influence over the ref is an issue but a strong ref should be able to make those decisions, blotting put crowd influence.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

One of the problems with instant replay is that it depends on who's telecasting the game. Some games have more cameras than others. If you're officiating an NBC game, you have more camera angles available to you than if you're officiating the Jaguars-Cardinals game at the bottom of the CBS early game coverage. So the extent of your football justice is based on how important the TV show is. If you get screwed, and the refs go to the G-level production truck, you're probably gonna stay screwed. Of course, you can't fix this by saying no more instant replay, you just sorta have to shrug and accept it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

^^ Didn't know that...thanks for the insight.

Even with that, or with whatever camera angles the replay officials have to work with, I still say they should have 60 seconds...after that, if the official can't make a determination while under the hood, then the play stands as called on the field, the challenging team keeps its timeout, and the game clock keeps a-churnin'.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Yes, there was.

BTW, during a recent visit to IKEA with my other half, I found this amusing, especially since your 'handle' here is Jigga.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

This is interesting. During the draft on the second day NFL legends will announce the picks for their past teams.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/04/21/former-players-to-announce-friday-picks

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Because college football games are taking longer than 3.5 hours to finish....

Hey, all. We need 10 or more so folks to hold a community mock draft. Choose a team from the list of available on page one of the Mock Draft thread.

We now need 9 times including the Cowboys, Texans, Bucs and Steelers.

A fascinating column by the commish...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704132204576285090526726626.html?mod=rss_opinion_main

Sounds like a lot of rubbish to me, classic exaggeration and fear-mongering... Am I wrong?

(Of course, the players' spokesmen are just as willing to use exaggeration and fear-mongering.)

May God bless you all and fill your hearts with faith, hope, and love!

Archived