2011 NFL Offseason Thread

Cujo

This may just be a bit cliche but...how is it that the Seahawks and one of Seattle's more well-known businesses haven't entered into a naming rights deal yet? (Of course, I guess "Starbucks Field" or "Boeing Field"* just don't have the same ring to it.)

*yes I know Boeing is actually hq'd in Chicago--but, still...

because neither Starbucks or Boeing need the advertising!!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New CBA would have a 16 week Thursday Night Game in 2012

What they also announced that Thursday Night Football would be sold to the highest bidder. So ESPN, CBS, FOX, ABC or NBC?

Doubt it'd be ESPN....I think they prefer the Thursday night college football games.

Whichever network wants it bad enough would likely be bidding against the NFL Network, and I'd think the NFL wouldn't mind staging a bidding war.

New CBA would have a 16 week Thursday Night Game in 2012

What they also announced that Thursday Night Football would be sold to the highest bidder. So ESPN, CBS, FOX, ABC or NBC?

Sounds pretty stupid and borderline overkill. As others have said, keep it Sunday/Monday/Thanksgiving/Thursday at the end of the season (or even better, Saturday double/tripleheaders after college football season like the good old days!) I can see NBC/Versus making a play for the Thursday package, though.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

The NFL is going down the wrong road. Sure, it's popular, but I'm about as enthusiastic an NFL fan as you'll find and much of what they're up to is a huge turn-off. I sense others feel this way but can only speak for myself.

To me, from the primetime draft to international games and now the possibility of Thursday night games every week, an 18-game schedule, and possibly expanding the playoffs...no, no, no. I really think, should all those things come to pass, they'll soon reach critical mass on jumping the shark. And that's a shame.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

^ That ship sailed when the Tom Brady Tutu Rule went into effect. :P

Like you Russ I certainly do hope the heads at the NFL can dig their--well, heads out of their own asses soon before the NFL becomes an oversaturated superwatered down shell of itself (which some would argue it already is).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The NFL is going down the wrong road. Sure, it's popular, but I'm about as enthusiastic an NFL fan as you'll find and much of what they're up to is a huge turn-off. I sense others feel this way but can only speak for myself.

To me, from the primetime draft to international games and now the possibility of Thursday night games every week, an 18-game schedule, and possibly expanding the playoffs...no, no, no. I really think, should all those things come to pass, they'll soon reach critical mass on jumping the shark. And that's a shame.

Count me among those that feel the same way. One of the reasons the NFL is the monster it is is because the exposure of the actual product (games) is relatively limited. You start adding games, extra days, and extra playoff teams and your product isn't as "special" as it was. More games during the week means more exposure, less compelling match-ups, and a watered down product. If the NFL really wants to look at the longview and make a real cash grab, they should eliminate Thursday night games. They're at a popularity peak right now. Jack your ad rates, make better rights deals, but whatever you do, do not start overexposing your product. It's a cautionary tale. Ask NASCAR how grabbing every dollar you can't get your hands on and overexposing your product during a hot streak in popularity works out.

BB52Big.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhh TO Bad

Looks like we have seen the last of T.O.

Sources: Terrell Owens had surgery

Terrell Owens, who has placed himself among the NFL's all-time leading receivers with plans to play a 16th season, has undergone surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in one of his knees following a previously undisclosed injury this offseason, according to sources familiar with the injury.

Owens, 37, was unavailable for comment but sources said the surgery by noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews occurred within the past month.

One source said Owens was hurt while on site taping a television show for VH1.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Apparently, Deadspin has gotten some NFL financials. Recall, they also got the MLB finances of several teams including the Marlins, which Team President David Samson did not deny were true but talked about the spiller breaking the law.

Look at the part in which the NFL gave teams money under the G-3 program, as it indicates that the teams owe the NHL (fellow owners) $800M. Only Kansas City seems to pay off the balance and interest.

I have not looked through it all, but D&T's statements but will tomorrow since it is a slow sports day. If it was, then NFL finances are much more than the union knows.

I will try to look through these this afternoon while watching either Copa America or the Women's US Open*.

*-As much as I like the Seoul Sisters (Se-Ri Pak), I'll probably root for one of the rudest players in any tour, the former chubbie Cristie Kerr.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6756301

^ Sources say that deal (in principle) is eminent, targeting July 21st league meeting in Atlanta for resolution.

I think that as early as a week ago, it's become not been a matter if, but when, the season starts. Both sides are working and feeling the pressure, and most of the major hurdles have been cleared. We still have had issues with things like right of first refusal and rookie pay scales, but I just don't see those 2 things keeping the NFL and the Player's Union from reaching a deal when they've agreed on just about everything else.

If anything, I see a compromise for those 2 things for this year, then both sides will have all next off-season to iron out the details, but things don't look to be going that way.

We might lose/reschedule the Hall of Fame Game and the first week of the preseason, but I don't see the lockout affecting the actual season.

Free Agency is going to be crazy, then you have 3 to 4 weeks to get your Rookies and Free Agents to learn the system. Start of the season should be very interesting to watch.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived