2011 NFL Offseason Thread

Cujo

But yet, it's the owners who take on massive financial risk in the first place by owning a team. And it's the owners - not the players - who shoulder the blame and negative publicity when ticket prices go up or highly-paid rookies turn out to be busts, etc. It's easy to pretend that the owners are these big bad secretive villains and the workers should have more power, but in reality, the owners have to put a lot of work, take huge risks, and take a lot of heat from the public while keeping their franchises afloat.

Furthermore, unlike most players, the owners invest wisely, save, and continue to make money. Why should the owners be criticized for that? Also, why can't more players save their money instead of blowing it all, demanding ever-increasing salaries, and then ending up in bankruptcy and foreclosure after their careers are over?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one should ever call paid work slavery (especially millionaire NFL players), but he is making a larger point: lots of American workers are making less while lots of American owners are making more.

It's a valid point that I'm happy to be see made by someone outside of the usual liberal intelligensia.

Technically slavery has nothing to do with whether you are paid to do the work you do. It is about your liberty to not do the work, and your freedom to seek other labor. So Peterson isn't a million miles away from the truth. But if he is comparing an NFL player of today to slaves of the 18th and 19th century, or even a baseball player of the early 20th century, he's still a long way from the truth.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Well, there is stuff like the combine, where the rich men come to examine all those strong southern black boys and decide which ones they want to run into the ground. With respect to the owners trying to get a bigger share of the revenue pie, I don't know what the hell he's talking about.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

How much money does Adrian Peterson make again? Like, $11 million per year?

... it's exactly like slavery. :rolleyes:

I tend to side with the players, but in this case... not so much. He has a choice. He doesn't have to play professional football if it's so bad. He could get a job straightening up clothes at Target if he really wants to.

barack.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Not sure I support Adrian Peterson using the title of "modern day slavery" for the NFL.

You're "not sure"? So just curious - what part aren't you sure about, and why?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not sure I support Adrian Peterson using the title of "modern day slavery" for the NFL.

I hope he thinks some more about it and decides he does support it.

BB52Big.jpg

BWAHAHAHAHA.

According to the Charlotte Observer, all signs point to the Panthers selecting Auburn QB Cam Newton at No. 1 overall.

This is either going to be a huge success or an awful, awful, awful football disaster, & I'm leaning towards the latter. I'm of the opinion that Cammy Cam's got a much better chance of being good at this level than his closest collegiate comparison (Tebow), but man. That's gonna be a terrible situation for him, & that's basically Carolina saying "O we :censored: ed up with Jimmy Clausen, woops." Plus, putting a rookie QB in one of the toughest divisions in the league? Okay, Panthers.

So yeah, I've got a feeling that there's some sort of ulterior motive behind this, possibly trying to force some sort of trade for picks. I'd be shocked if they actually drafted him, & even moreso if he stayed with the Panthers after the draft's over.

Please stop picking on me.

Nobody is picking on you. You felt the need to post that you are obviously having some kind of internal debate as to whether or not you think that playing in the NFL is modern slavery, and you've been asked to elaborate. If you post an opinion, prepare to discuss it. That's kind of the point of these things called message boards. If you have no real opinion or anything to add, then don't post.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

BWAHAHAHAHA.

According to the Charlotte Observer, all signs point to the Panthers selecting Auburn QB Cam Newton at No. 1 overall.

You can likely thank the Rams lucking out with Bradford for this. They are going to dick over the next 5 teams that pick #1 overall because you can't get lightning to strike twice but they're going to try anyway.

*maniacal laughter*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

BWAHAHAHAHA.

This is either going to be a huge success or an awful, awful, awful football disaster, & I'm leaning towards the latter. I'm of the opinion that Cammy Cam's got a much better chance of being good at this level than his closest collegiate comparison (Tebow), but man. That's gonna be a terrible situation for him, & that's basically Carolina saying "O we :censored: ed up with Jimmy Clausen, woops." Plus, putting a rookie QB in one of the toughest divisions in the league? Okay, Panthers.

So yeah, I've got a feeling that there's some sort of ulterior motive behind this, possibly trying to force some sort of trade for picks. I'd be shocked if they actually drafted him, & even moreso if he stayed with the Panthers after the draft's over.

I'm co-signing this. Cam in Carolina? If the Panthers do intend to draft and keep him, then I'm seeing "fail" written all over it. Besides having just drafted a damn supposed-to-be-hotshot rookie (unless something medically is going on with Clausen that the Panthers are hiding from the public), just who in the heck is am going to throw the ball to? They've got Steve Smith, and............

...don't worry, I'll wait.

Okay, granted, the Panthers have a pretty good ground game, when Stewart & Williams are healthy. The Panthers' defense ain't what it used to be, though. And as I'm sure smart observes have taken note of by this point, pre-existing strong running game + great defense = "success" for young QBs. Ask Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, or Mark Sanchez. And I'll even give Cam the benefit of possibly being able to use his legs to help win some games--it worked for Vince Young for a little while. But eventually defensive coordinators will figure out how to corral him, and then what?

So yeah...like Flame said, if true, this better be a ploy for some draft picks or something.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I can totally see why Carolina would do this.

-QB is a need.

-Cam Newton's presence will sell some tickets.

-Carolina most likely won't be able to acquire a veteran QB between now and the start of the season.

-The recent successes of Flacco, Ryan, and Bradford have GM's believing that QB's can develop quicker.

-Josh Freeman grew up awfully fast playing in the NFC South.

Please stop picking on me.

Nobody is picking on you. You felt the need to post that you are obviously having some kind of internal debate as to whether or not you think that playing in the NFL is modern slavery, and you've been asked to elaborate. If you post an opinion, prepare to discuss it. That's kind of the point of these things called message boards. If you have no real opinion or anything to add, then don't post.

Not to mention that I think both of us were just having a little fun with his post. If the kid can't take that type of reply, imagine what it's going to be like when someone really is picking on him.

BB52Big.jpg

-QB is a need.

-Carolina most likely won't be able to acquire a veteran QB between now and the start of the season.

-The recent successes of Flacco, Ryan, and Bradford have GM's believing that QB's can develop quicker.

All I can see is JaMarcus Russell, someone who is a flash in the pan that will go nowhere fast, now put him somewhere with a veteran QB presence and you could see him come out as a good Quarterback in the future, but I just don't see him as the next Flacco, Ryan or Bradford.

-QB is a need.

Hmmm....

I can totally see why we would do this.

-QB is a need.

-JaMarcus Russell's presence will sell some tickets.

-We most likely won't be able to acquire a veteran QB between now and the start of the season.

-The recent successes of Roethlisberger, Rivers, and Manning have GM's believing that QB's can develop quicker.

-Jay Cutler grew up awfully fast playing in the AFC West.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Why does everyone keep comparing Newton to Russell? Outside of the fact that Newton may be a high draft pick, they really have nothing in common. If Newton's play reminds me of anyone it's Ben Roethlisberger or maybe a bigger Steve Young.

BB52Big.jpg

Why does everyone keep comparing Newton to Russell? Outside of the fact that Newton may be a high draft pick, they really have nothing in common. If Newton's play reminds me of anyone it's Ben Roethlisberger or maybe a bigger Steve Young.

I don't see him as another Russell as far as his skill, I am comparing him to Russell as far as his he will be out of his league unless they make him a #1 pick and make him sit for a couple years to learn.

Archived