2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

It's not off-topic but it IS pissing people off, and it's become an extremely annoying vicious cycle. Both sides literally say the same exact things every single time. What's the point?

I've never been pissed off because of the Ducks discussion. I've gotten into lengthy debates over it, I've stated my opinions on the matter, but I've never gotten angry or frustrated because of it.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do colors not become a team's even if they wear them across sports?

Don't you know? They're not considered team colors until the geniuses around here say they are. Apparently even if they are used in every sport, or in the schools style guide it doesn't matter. Always Nike's fault! duh

If Oregon consistently uses highlighter yellow, anthracite, silver, black, etc. to the point that people stop thinking of Oregon as green and gold, then sure, go ahead. Otherwise we may as well say that black is an official color for Arizona State, Washington, Middle Tennessee, Mississippi State, West Virginia, North Texas, and so on and so forth.

Maybe if the NCAA institutes a limit to the amount of jerseys you can have and goes with three. And then Oregon comes out with silver roads, anthracite homes, and highlighter yellow alts, and sticks with those colors, then maybe Oregon can call those its colors.

The problem is that anytime anything is brought up it is immediately compared to Oregon. Can everyone just knock if off? If it is directly related to Oregon (like the discussion about potentially wearing those 2 uniforms this year), fine, talk all you want. But why must the Ducks be brought up for everything else?

I think that's a bigger compliment in itself for Oregon rather than teams following the Oregon trend. The fact that Oregon is THE example for uniforms (for better or worse) is a pretty big statement.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The fact that they are basically the center of uniform talk means Nike has successfully branded Oregon and promoted them. Whether or not we use our 2 school colors we are still talked about just like the rest of the traditional powers

The fact that they are basically the center of uniform talk means Nike has successfully branded Oregon and promoted them. Whether or not we use our 2 school colors we are still talked about just like the rest of the traditional powers

Not to flame or further move the conversation away from 2012 unis, but shouldn't you have said "still talked about just like the traditional powers." With all due respect to the 2 straight PAC 10 titles and MNC appearance, I think the majority of college football fans wouldn't consider Oregon to be a traditional power but rather a new millennium success story.

Doesn't make them look any less stupid.

Considering their jerseys sell, I'd say the majority of people think differently than that.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Honestly, this discussion is pretty dumb imo. Who cares if they use black and white and silver or whatever on their jerseys. ITS A NEUTRAL COLOR. As far as I'm concerned, any and every team can use those colors on their jerseys if they want. It doesnt have to be an "official" color.

and whoever said you have to have a "traditional" jersey to win a championship....SMH

just saying

Black is absolutely not neutral. And while gray may be neutral, charcoal, silver, graphite, carbon, anthracite and highlighter are not neutral. Even if you are talking about a neutral color, it's no longer neutral if it is the primary color on a jersey or helmet.

Black is definitely a neutral color. A neutral color is considered a color without saturation, like white, grays, and black

charcoal- dark gray

graphite-dark gray

carbon- dark gray

silver- light gray

anthracite-gray

highlighter-yellow/green (neon) (yellow and green are both primary colors for oregon)

whatever names you guys have for them, they are all pretty much different shades of gray (in other words, NEUTRAL colors)

and who says a color isnt neutral anymore if it is the primary color of a jersey or helmet. Im sorry, but that is nonsense

There's nothing wrong with a team having a black jersey, just like there's nothing wrong with a white jersey

so...lemme guess...white isnt a neutral color anymore?

numerous teams have black jerseys and helmets.

The raiders for example. Are their colors no longer neutral since their whole entire uniform is made up of black, white, and gray?

San Antonio Spurs...same thing

The falcons have a black jersey even though their primary color is red. Is that bad too?

pretty much every single pro sports team uses a white jersey...and white is a neutral color

there is no need to change the definition of a neutral color because some team choses to make their uni's that color

I think the majority of college football fans wouldn't consider Oregon to be a traditional power but rather a new millennium success story.

So what? Program tradition is easily the most overrated aspect of college sports. You can't tradition your way to wins no matter how much the BCS wishes it were so.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Regarding neutral colors: I think y'all are debating different points.

Falcons11497, I believe you are correct in your definition of neutral colors being ones absent saturation. However, I believe what TheOldRoman is eluding to is the fact that certain colors (white in particular) have long been accepted as necessary elements of design and have therefore appeared on uniforms as highlights and backgrounds for years without much fuss.

Black has also had the privilege of appearing outside the realm of traditional school colors for the express purpose of bringing school colors into clear focus.

- Exhibit A: the black highlighting around the numbers of the Rutgers football jerseys.

- Exhibit B: the shadow on the Wisconsin "W" helmet logo

As a result, TheOldRoman deigned white a "neutral" color, though more precisely he might have written, "a highlight color accepted as appropriate for use by any team in small doses." I agree with TheOldRoman's sentiment; white is appropriate for all teams to use in design. I would even go so far as to agree with black being included in that statement as long as we are talking about mere highlights and in support of school colors.

Why do I (and others) rebel against black alternate jerseys and their ilk? Because I love the colors of college football (even if Ohio State is playing at Wake Forest). Oregon's green helmet is one of my favorites and it's sad to see them lose that look in favor of something sterile and, in my opinion, generic. Arizona State has (had?) an amazing color scheme of maroon and varsity gold. Now those colors are taking a back seat to black. Maybe it's the way things are moving and eventually all teams will have a black jersey and an away jersey with an alternate color. /rant

Go Cougs.

I think the majority of college football fans wouldn't consider Oregon to be a traditional power but rather a new millennium success story.

So what? Program tradition is easily the most overrated aspect of college sports. You can't tradition your way to wins no matter how much the BCS wishes it were so.

You might be able to tradition your way to alumni dollars and recruits though. Then you can recruit and dollar your way to wins (or so the theory goes).

Go Cougs.

Considering their jerseys sell, I'd say the majority of people think differently than that.

And they'll look tacky and outdated in the next decade just like with any other fad.

Tradition is one of the only things that sets college football apart from the NFL. It's certainly not the level of play or the fairness of the system that makes people love the sport. It's the tradition and atmosphere and the passion. The love of your alma mater/local school. If it wasn't for those things very few people would care about college athletics.

Black is definitely a neutral color. A neutral color is considered a color without saturation, like white, grays, and black

charcoal- dark gray

graphite-dark gray

carbon- dark gray

silver- light gray

anthracite-gray

highlighter-yellow/green (neon) (yellow and green are both primary colors for oregon)

whatever names you guys have for them, they are all pretty much different shades of gray (in other words, NEUTRAL colors)

and who says a color isnt neutral anymore if it is the primary color of a jersey or helmet. Im sorry, but that is nonsense

There's nothing wrong with a team having a black jersey, just like there's nothing wrong with a white jersey

so...lemme guess...white isnt a neutral color anymore?

numerous teams have black jerseys and helmets.

The raiders for example. Are their colors no longer neutral since their whole entire uniform is made up of black, white, and gray?

San Antonio Spurs...same thing

The falcons have a black jersey even though their primary color is red. Is that bad too?

pretty much every single pro sports team uses a white jersey...and white is a neutral color

there is no need to change the definition of a neutral color because some team choses to make their uni's that color

I don't know who came up with that definition, but that is 100% false. Black is not neutral because it clashes with other colors. White and gray don't clash with other colors. Black clashes with navy and brown, and therefore, isn't neutral. The rest of your post is not even worth addressing.

Black has also had the privilege of appearing outside the realm of traditional school colors for the express purpose of bringing school colors into clear focus.

- Exhibit A: the black highlighting around the numbers of the Rutgers football jerseys.

- Exhibit B: the shadow on the Wisconsin "W" helmet logo

As a result, TheOldRoman deigned white a "neutral" color, though more precisely he might have written, "a highlight color accepted as appropriate for use by any team in small doses." I agree with TheOldRoman's sentiment; white is appropriate for all teams to use in design. I would even go so far as to agree with black being included in that statement as long as we are talking about mere highlights and in support of school colors.

The problem is, in most applications, black serves to only muddle the team colors. Take a look at the mess that is the NY Mets, as the black shadow takes away clarity from the wordmark. In terms of black uniforms, teams often have to jettison their primary color just to make it legible. For instance, ASU's black jersey has athletic yellow numbers with very little red. If the numbers were red, even with a yellow outline, they would blend into the jersey. Mississippi State showed what illegible crap you get when you make black uniforms featuring the team's dark primary color.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't know who came up with that definition, but that is 100% false. Black is not neutral because it clashes with other colors. White and gray don't clash with other colors. Black clashes with navy and brown, and therefore, isn't neutral. The rest of your post is not even worth addressing.

White clashes with baby blue, yellow and many more colors. Whats the difference?

What's with all the Oregon hate exactly? I know I am biased because I'm a fan, but does it really matter whether they use green, yellow, red, purple, orange or whatever? At the end of your day, if the color that a college football team uses bothers you so much, then you really should take a break from sports. Why should people care, is Oregon shoving their colors in your face? If you don't like, don't watch their games, that's all. Shouldn't lose sleep because a team decides to use a lot of colors.

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

What's with all the Oregon hate exactly? I know I am biased because I'm a fan, but does it really matter whether they use green, yellow, red, purple, orange or whatever? At the end of your day, if the color that a college football team uses bothers you so much, then you really should take a break from sports. Why should people care, is Oregon shoving their colors in your face? If you don't like, don't watch their games, that's all. Shouldn't lose sleep because a team decides to use a lot of colors.

I guarantee nobody loses sleep over it, but this IS the message board to express their opinions about it.

I guarantee nobody loses sleep over it, but this IS the message board to express their opinions about it.

But people are acting like it's the end of the world and everyone's going to die because Oregon uses colors that differentiate from their actual team colors.

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

White clashes with baby blue, yellow and many more colors. Whats the difference?

No it doesn't.

Find me a white jersey with yellow numbers or a yellow jersey with white numbers and they cant have a outline on them. Theres a reason why they never do that.

But people are acting like it's the end of the world and everyone's going to die because Oregon uses colors that differentiate from their actual team colors.

Uhh...no they aren't. Not even close.

Archived