2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sort of OT: If anyone wants a good book that features a bunch of great photos from Oregon's football history, I strongly recommend "Gameday: Oregon Football" by Athlon Sports. Great photos of the uniforms from the late 80s through ~2006. Green and gold is such a great combination...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Is there not a freaking moderator somewhere to take care of all this childish arguing? Holy crap, create a seperate thread for this trash. I'm tired of having to scroll through a million posts of the same pointless arguing to see new uniform news.

Guess what? Some people like old uniforms, some people like new uniforms. You're not going to change people's opinions and there is no right and wrong answer. What all this hot air has to do with next years uniforms is beyond me.

A thought occurred to me about the impact High Definition TV will have, and has had, on uniform design. Take WSU's new look, specifically the alternate helmet. It's a matte grey helmet with a lighter grey logo. Even ten years ago this would have been pointless, you would barely have been able to make out the logo on a standard television. Now, with the advent of HD, designs like this are within the realm of possibility.

We've seen the impact of tv on football uniforms before. Helmet logos used to be huge, for the purposes of fans in the stands being able to make them out. When the television audience for football started to grow, however, the logos got smaller (Dallas, Minnesota, and New Orleans offer the best examples of this trend). The Cowboys' silver green pants were designed so they would appear as standard silver on older television sets, but now they face a problem with the advent of high definition. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Cowboys quietly go to a more standard silver set of home pants.

So we end up at the current trend of NCAA football uniforms. WSU's grey on grey alternate helmet and an older yellow Oregon helmet with "ghost flames" seem to be the first steps into a new realm of uniform design. Teams and manufacturers can now experiment with more subtle design elements as HD technology no longer renders subtle design pointless.

For the record, those WSU alternate uniforms have really grown on me :P

Because I seemingly have to....

Exactly. I think it's funny how we're being accused of "over the top hysterics, over-generalizations, and name calling" when we're clearly not taking the argument half as seriously as he is.

Well you're being accused of those things because you've done them. This post included.

Enlighten me: exactly where in that one sentence was I at all hysterical, generalizing, or name-calling?

Lets not pretend you haven't done these things in the past, in this thread.

As for this specific post, over-generalization: "...we're not taking the argument half as seriously as he (ie me) is." It's standard really. You want to distance yourself (and your side) from this argument, and at the same time you want to paint me as the EVVVILLLL traditionalist so you claim I'm doing nothing but obsessing over this argument, treating it like it's the "end of the world." It's basic "hey I know I've contributed to this ongoing argument just as much as he is, but look how cool I am, he's the obsessed one, amirite?" behaviour. In short you've over-generalized my motives and opinions rather then engage in intelligent discussion.

Like I said, I've been pretty calm about this whole discussion, and I've never once called anyone a name for simply disagreeing with me. Plus I've shown a willingness to compromise on the subject and end the debate on a common ground note. So not only did you attempt to over-generalize my opinion, you missed the mark.

During Michigans spring game today they are wearing last years jerseys but they have a spring game patch on them which i think is pretty cool.

ap-30b1e81adaea4a0e990c5ff284c29841.jpg

ap-6def1215b3b947d19addbf4d82da0a00.jpg

I guess they need every opportunity to celebrate since they barely made a bowl last year

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

You know what? I'm done, Ice_Cap. There's clearly no convincing you that you're being extremely annoying about this argument, because every time I tell you that you need to chill out, you turn it around on me. And no matter what, because I got off to a bad start on here and don't have a great reputation, I'm going to get all the blame for this argument because it's easier that way, even though it takes two (or more) to argue. And then I have to read another round of "Lights Out is an idiot, worst member on the forums, blah blah blah" which I'd rather not have to read. So with that said, I'm done with this stupid Oregon argument for good.

And by the way, I'm not "frustrated or angry." I'm just burnt out over Round 365 of the same old :censored:.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

You have a PM.

Anyhow....

I like TCU's number font. Is it custom for the sake of custom? Yes. It's done so in a way that's not forced though. It's custom, but it still looks simple and classy enough. I like it. I only wish they kept the frog on the helmets. He's awesome.

What I've never quite understood about Nikegon is their Soviet Propaganda-esque trumpeting of the SHEER NUMBER OF COMBINATIONS they can wear. Assuming you are playing a game in Hawaii, the most games you can play are 15. You most likely max is 14. And you're going to add to/change the uniform selection next season. What is the point of mentioning all of these combinations if you are only going to use a small fraction of them?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What I've never quite understood about Nikegon is their Soviet Propaganda-esque trumpeting of the SHEER NUMBER OF COMBINATIONS they can wear. Assuming you are playing a game in Hawaii, the most games you can play are 15. You most likely max is 14. And you're going to add to/change the uniform selection next season. What is the point of mentioning all of these combinations if you are only going to use a small fraction of them?

Yep. Oregon's uniforms worn from 2006 to 2008 had 96 possible combinations for a maximum of 39 games.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I still don't understand why you guys get so fired up about Black, your team gets black jerseys for a game it makes the players feel special, makes the student section have a blackout. Its all in good fun.

Because in most cases, it's not all in good fun. It's all in good merchandising, which is a horse of a different color.

Why does it have to be a blackout? Arizona basketball was very successful with its whiteout this past season and Arizona football has had several successful redouts. Virginia Tech has its annual Maroon and Orange Effect games. You shouldn't need weird uniforms to excite your fans.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Why does it have to be a blackout? Arizona basketball was very successful with its whiteout this past season and Arizona football has had several successful redouts. Virginia Tech has its annual Maroon and Orange Effect games. You shouldn't need weird uniforms to excite your fans.

Hell, Boise State has done tri-color crowds before.

DYSKRZXQSIAPKKZ.20100913195353.jpg

9071722-large.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

ap-30b1e81adaea4a0e990c5ff284c29841.jpg

But I thought they were getting rid of the extraneous striping on the white jerseys

I believe they are, which is why I wonder why they would roll out a patch on these. The one jersey that was shown in the video looked 10 billion times better than this because it looked like a Michigan shirt and not a hot mess on acid. I just hope adidas fixes the nameplates so they are readable. they should just screen print the names on if they need to

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Hell, Boise State has done tri-color crowds before.

DYSKRZXQSIAPKKZ.20100913195353.jpg

Wait, their student section is all the way up there? That sucks.

Honestly, I love the 2010 Ducks uniforms, I just wish they'd keep what they have instead of changing it every damn year.

But what's this rumor of Miami changing their uniforms? I haven't seen or heard anything.

2qty4pu.jpg

Honestly, I love the 2010 Ducks uniforms, I just wish they'd keep what they have instead of changing it every damn year.

But what's this rumor of Miami changing their uniforms? I haven't seen or heard anything.

The rumor I've heard is something like the Schnellenberger/Johnson/Erickson-era uniforms.

Archived