2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

ap-30b1e81adaea4a0e990c5ff284c29841.jpg

But I thought they were getting rid of the extraneous striping on the white jerseys

I believe they are, which is why I wonder why they would roll out a patch on these. The one jersey that was shown in the video looked 10 billion times better than this because it looked like a Michigan shirt and not a hot mess on acid. I just hope adidas fixes the nameplates so they are readable. they should just screen print the names on if they need to

Adidas is allowing a few Michigan players to practice in the new prototype jersey and pants. More then likely, Adidas didn't have time to provide Michigan with 80+ prototypes to use for the spring game, so instead they just used the old uniforms.

As for the patch, I'd rather have that than some stupid "digi-camo" gimmick. :P

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are my favorite Miami uniforms:

ncaamh1970opt1pics.jpg

Unfortunately, they get no love because the program stunk in the '70s.

That helmet is yuck. Nothing can replace the current one.

I never said I liked the helmet that went with it. I think that one looks awful too. Illini1 is right on the money.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

http://www.heritagesportsart.com/images/products/ncaamh1970opt1pics.jpg

Those would look great with their current helmet.

They only change they would have to make to the helmet is to reverse the striping to make it match the uniform.

Or they could reverse the striping on the uniform instead.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

http://www.heritagesportsart.com/images/products/ncaamh1970opt1pics.jpg

Those would look great with their current helmet.

They only change they would have to make to the helmet is to reverse the striping to make it match the uniform.

Or they could reverse the striping on the uniform instead.

I think orange-green-orange would look the best IMO. It would "pop" more.

A thought occurred to me about the impact High Definition TV will have, and has had, on uniform design. Take WSU's new look, specifically the alternate helmet. It's a matte grey helmet with a lighter grey logo. Even ten years ago this would have been pointless, you would barely have been able to make out the logo on a standard television. Now, with the advent of HD, designs like this are within the realm of possibility.

We've seen the impact of tv on football uniforms before. Helmet logos used to be huge, for the purposes of fans in the stands being able to make them out. When the television audience for football started to grow, however, the logos got smaller (Dallas, Minnesota, and New Orleans offer the best examples of this trend). The Cowboys' silver green pants were designed so they would appear as standard silver on older television sets, but now they face a problem with the advent of high definition. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Cowboys quietly go to a more standard silver set of home pants.

So we end up at the current trend of NCAA football uniforms. WSU's grey on grey alternate helmet and an older yellow Oregon helmet with "ghost flames" seem to be the first steps into a new realm of uniform design. Teams and manufacturers can now experiment with more subtle design elements as HD technology no longer renders subtle design pointless.

For the record, those WSU alternate uniforms have really grown on me :P

True enough, but that doesn't keep either of those looks (new WSU alt and Oregon's ghost flames) from looking terrible.

You have a PM.

Anyhow....

I like TCU's number font. Is it custom for the sake of custom? Yes. It's done so in a way that's not forced though. It's custom, but it still looks simple and classy enough. I like it. I only wish they kept the frog on the helmets. He's awesome.

TCU is keeping the old helmet too.

I like the old helmet because it is the one most associated with TCU's recent success. (First season it was worn was 1998 when TCU beat USC in a bowl game to start the resurgence - and did so while wearing a bblack uniform.)

I think aesthetically, the arched TCU without the frog looks better and is easier to read.

But most importantly, IMO it doesn't make sense to have an image of a frog on top of a helmet made of frog skin. The frog has been relocated to the pants, so it's not like the school is getting rid of it.

And FWIW, I don't mind the new uniform font (wish it had an outline), but I would've preferred sticking with our pro combat number font or the 2007-2009 style rather than going to a custom one that looks like several other schools'.

Hell, Boise State has done tri-color crowds before.

DYSKRZXQSIAPKKZ.20100913195353.jpg

Wait, their student section is all the way up there? That sucks.

I'm thinking that might change with the upcoming expansion of Bronco Stadium, which is supposed to look like this:

Boise_State_Stadium_Expansion.gif

Sheer awesomeness, and it's far easier on the eyes than TCU's clunky-looking proposal for Amon G. Carter:

Amon+G.+Carter+Stad%238B85CAA.jpg

I hope that is a joke. In no way does TCU's new stadium look clunkier than that joke BSU is planning on building, but doesn't have funding for. (TCU is paying cash money for the new stadium).

edit: saw after posting that some already addressed this. Sorry for rehashing.

I think TCU's expansion looks good and not clunky. It should be about done right? I know that's why they moved the Armed Forces bowl to SMU so they could get started earlier on the construction. I'm really surprised Boise's student section isn't right behind the team or in the end zones like other stadiums.

The north endzone will be complete for the 2011 season. The lower and club levels of the west side will be ready. The west side upper deck and east side will be completed beatween the 2011 and 2012 season.

It isn't a rinky dink stadium like SMU and UCF have, so it will take a little time to build.

I just think it looks too old-timey and anachronistic for such a "modern" program. The new stadium doesn't fit the program's image as trendy outsider at all, IMO. But that's just me. Meanwhile, Boise State got it right - the design reminds me a little bit of Autzen Stadium mixed with Reser Stadium. It's an aesthetic that works with the location and the program's image.

I also don't really like the looks of that yellow brick building from the rendering, but it might look better in real life.

BTW, who's calling the new Amon G. Carter "the Camden Yards of college football"? TCU fans?

Also, the blue turf could plausibly have been called a gimmick in the '80s when it was introduced. Now, though, it's been used for so long that it has become a tradition instead of a gimmick.

Boise's stadium suits the program because it looks like a big carnival.

TCU's suits its program because it is classy. TCU won national titles and Heismans in the 30s. The stadium is the same style (and brick) as Fort Worth and the campus.

Ok, I'm going to be that guy.

Don't Boise State and TCU have trouble filling their stadia now? Why are they expanding capacity?

Firstly, no. Secondly, TCU is making the new stadium smaller. Newer doesn't have to mean bigger.

Well, technically, it will be bigger, but have fewer seats.

ap-30b1e81adaea4a0e990c5ff284c29841.jpg

But I thought they were getting rid of the extraneous striping on the white jerseys

I believe they are, which is why I wonder why they would roll out a patch on these. The one jersey that was shown in the video looked 10 billion times better than this because it looked like a Michigan shirt and not a hot mess on acid. I just hope adidas fixes the nameplates so they are readable. they should just screen print the names on if they need to

Adidas is allowing a few Michigan players to practice in the new prototype jersey and pants. More then likely, Adidas didn't have time to provide Michigan with 80+ prototypes to use for the spring game, so instead they just used the old uniforms.

As for the patch, I'd rather have that than some stupid "digi-camo" gimmick. :P

Exactly. And just about every team that uses real uniforms for spring games, use last years'. Nike doesn't usually have the new orders into teams until June/July.

Does anybody really want to see a gold Florida State alternate?

51t7bfFM9iL.jpg

Fine with me.

Just the jersey looks fine to me, but I question how it would look as part of the full set with a gold helmet. (Then again, I generally hate when the helmet and jersey share the same color).

I'd much rather see that than a BFBS jersey.

I hope that is a joke. In no way does TCU's new stadium look clunkier than that joke BSU is planning on building, but doesn't have funding for. (TCU is paying cash money for the new stadium)

Do your research. By February, Boise State had raised roughly half the money they need to do the first phase of renovations, and fundraising had only started last November.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I just think it looks too old-timey and anachronistic for such a "modern" program. The new stadium doesn't fit the program's image as trendy outsider at all, IMO. But that's just me. Meanwhile, Boise State got it right - the design reminds me a little bit of Autzen Stadium mixed with Reser Stadium. It's an aesthetic that works with the location and the program's image.

I also don't really like the looks of that yellow brick building from the rendering, but it might look better in real life.

BTW, who's calling the new Amon G. Carter "the Camden Yards of college football"? TCU fans?

Also, the blue turf could plausibly have been called a gimmick in the '80s when it was introduced. Now, though, it's been used for so long that it has become a tradition instead of a gimmick.

TCU's suits its program because it is classy. TCU won national titles and Heismans in the 30s. The stadium is the same style (and brick) as Fort Worth and the campus.

Yeah... so did about 45 other schools.

Edit- 29, to be exact.

camnewton2.jpg

Auburn University Alum

Yeah... so did about 45 other schools.

Yeah. There wasn't a corupt system that basically picked teams to play in it's championship game back then....

It doesn't take anything away from the program's history.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Archived