2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's some truth to that, too. But I think we're both right. If fans didn't automatically assume "we're at home, we're going to win" and decide not to go to the games, Boise wouldn't have to depend on visiting fanbases so much.

I don't like it but hopefully the renovation can fix that attitude.

I just can't buy that argument.

Boise State has 6-7 home games a year. Granted, the opponents usually aren't the most glamourous, but the home folks only get 6-7 days out of the year to come out and support the football team on game days. Considering that supply is outnumbering demand, tickets won't be anywhere as expensive as they'd be for the likes of Georgia, Ohio State, and Alabama when they're playing crap teams, yet still fill the joint to maximum capacity.

4514990717_ba1b7cf514_b.jpg

That is one nice looking render. Well done TCU.

I just think it looks too old-timey and anachronistic for such a "modern" program. The new stadium doesn't fit the program's image as trendy outsider at all, IMO.

TCU's a modern program? Their football program's been around since 1896. They're older then the Arizona Cardinals. They won two national titles in the 1930s. This is a program with a deep, rich history, and they want to honour that with their stadium expansion. The old timey look seems fitting.

4514990717_ba1b7cf514_b.jpg

That is one nice looking render. Well done TCU.

I just think it looks too old-timey and anachronistic for such a "modern" program. The new stadium doesn't fit the program's image as trendy outsider at all, IMO.

TCU's a modern program? Their football program's been around since 1896. They're older then the Arizona Cardinals. They won two national titles in the 1930s. This is a program with a deep, rich history, and they want to honour that with their stadium expansion. The old timey look seems fitting.

Thats just beautiful. Its what a football stadium should look like. Maybe this is a start of a "Football Cathedral" trend =)

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

Things designed to look old in these times are crap. Can't recall the past by mimicking it. Its entirely anachronistic and crappy design. You can't have a dialogue with the past without conversing with the present.

End architecture rant.

Boise_State_Stadium_Expansion.gif

Sheer awesomeness, and it's far easier on the eyes than TCU's clunky-looking proposal for Amon G. Carter:

I wouldn't exactly call it that. It looks like they've just half a$$ threw some 3 story endzone seating in there with a building that not only doesn't fit the style of the rest of the stadium but doesn't even connect into the seating that's already there! :cursing:

rant off

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

Does anybody really want to see a gold Florida State alternate?

51t7bfFM9iL.jpg

Fine with me.

Just the jersey looks fine to me, but I question how it would look as part of the full set with a gold helmet. (Then again, I generally hate when the helmet and jersey share the same color).

Just the jersey looks fine to me, but I question how it would look as part of the full set with a gold helmet. (Then again, I generally hate when the helmet and jersey share the same color).

Maybe pair it with their Pro Combat helmet, then.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

That's why I put "modern" in quotes. I realize that they were a great program in the 1930's, but I'm pretty sure the average person doesn't think of Sammy Baugh when they think of TCU. The TCU name more readily conjures up the image of LaDainian Tomlinson, Andy Dalton, this year's Rose Bowl, and BCS busting in general, which are all recent images.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I guess I wouldn't mind if Miami went back to the 80's era with the simple stripes on the sleeves. But I would much have them go back to the 2001 uniforms. They where sexy.

IMO, The 80s unis are the best ever; the '99-03 unis are a very close second; the current looks is 3rd; the 90s shadow-numbers are 4th; 2004-2008 octopus stripes are dead last.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

There's some truth to that, too. But I think we're both right. If fans didn't automatically assume "we're at home, we're going to win" and decide not to go to the games, Boise wouldn't have to depend on visiting fanbases

what kind of lousy fanbase doesn't want to watch the team win?!

I just think it looks too old-timey and anachronistic for such a "modern" program. The new stadium doesn't fit the program's image as trendy outsider at all, IMO. But that's just me. Meanwhile, Boise State got it right - the design reminds me a little bit of Autzen Stadium mixed with Reser Stadium. It's an aesthetic that works with the location and the program's image.

I also don't really like the looks of that yellow brick building from the rendering, but it might look better in real life.

BTW, who's calling the new Amon G. Carter "the Camden Yards of college football"? TCU fans?

Also, the blue turf could plausibly have been called a gimmick in the '80s when it was introduced. Now, though, it's been used for so long that it has become a tradition instead of a gimmick.

I would have said something about that "modern" program comment, but someone beat me to it.

The people calling it the "Camden Yards of College Football" are the people behind the building of the stadium. It's called this because like Camden Yards, It's a modern stadium that honors tradition. TCU's stadium is being built this way to match its surroundings and Fort Worth's art deco style/beaux arts. As someone who actually appreciates the program and someone who's actually been a longtime fan, back when they were losing and had those plain ass purple and silver uniforms (gag), I'm glad the boosters are taking the traditional route instead of trying so damn hard to look ultra-modern. We already have a stadium like that in DFW with a 1.3 billion dollar price tag....

BTW, TCU has actually had a few sellouts the past couple years and gained much more butts in seats since 2001. Of course, when you play in a conference everyone says is "weak" and several big name schools refuse to play you in youre own building in an area where there' more to do than just go to a game, it's hard selling out EVERY game. I think for a little private school that has less than 10,000, it does pretty well for itself. This phase should be done by 2012.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

There's some truth to that, too. But I think we're both right. If fans didn't automatically assume "we're at home, we're going to win" and decide not to go to the games, Boise wouldn't have to depend on visiting fanbases

what kind of lousy fanbase doesn't want to watch the team win?!

It's not that they don't want to watch the team win. It's really two factors:

1. Who honestly wants to go see NMSU or SJSU get drummed out of the stadium?

2. Our best OOC games are almost always away or at a neutral site, and there were only a couple of other good teams in the WAC, leaving people with very few good games to go see at Bronco Stadium.

It's not that people don't want to see the team win, it's that fans want to go to an exciting game. Blowing out a bad team 70-0 because you desperately need style points to stay near the top of the polls doesn't really achieve that.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

These are my favorite Miami uniforms:

http://www.heritagesportsart.com/images/products/ncaamh1970opt1pics.jpg

Unfortunately, they get no love because the program stunk in the '70s.

Those would look great with their current helmet.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived