2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

However, in ASU's case, if black is an OFFICIAL ATHLETICS COLOR, how is it BFBS?

Semantics.

Technically, since it's now officially in the athletic color scheme, ASU can wear anything black.

If black was not an official color, and black was worn of emphasized, it's BFBS. Now that black IS an official color, it's not BFBS.

Since ASU never had black in its scheme before, and there is a huge emphasis on it, redesigning the identity with black is BFBS.

There's 2 different differentiations of BFBS....wearing black when it's not in your scheme, or when it consistently has been limited to trim only (like Ohio State or Boston College, for example).

The other instance is what ASU did...redesign the entire athletic identity to include black.

When Boston College added black, its logos were cleaned up. The traditional maroon and gold eagle was muddy and overly detailed. Black was added as an outline, which made the eagle easier to read and reproduce in a number of media. The maroon was also darkened, and the gold made metallic.

In ASU's case, the primary logo (Sparky), which had minimal black if any (the eyes and mustache?), was reduced to secondary status. The primary logo is either the trident or the ASU monogram, done in one color. Black wasn't incorporated into the identity so much as they just reproduced it in black. Sort of like taking the ESPN logo and printing it in black.

Considering how much ASU emphasizes black with its new uniforms, they were lazy in the way it was integrated into the identity.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

It's Bleacher Report. Therefore there's a 99% chance it's bull :censored:.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Do you really not know the difference between wear and where? Have you ever asked someone what they're whering?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Do you really not know the difference between wear and where? Have you ever asked someone what they're whering?

bacon

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Did you know that reading bleacher report increases your chances of being afflicted with testicular or prostate cancer by 400% and brain cancer by 700%?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Think about it...as much as Nike wants to add colors, the school colors for Oregon will always be yellow and green. They're never going to change to red, navy, and baby blue like a pro sports team might do.

I still don't see how a team can add a school color but not have it be a school color.

As ColorWerx has mentioned many times before, a school's athletic colors can be different from their administrative colors. Boston College's admin colors are maroon and gold. Athletic colors are black, maroon and gold. Black was added with the redesigned identity over 10 years ago, and in most cases, it's limited to a trim color. It also seems that basketball and football are removing it as trim as well, so it only remains in the logo.

Oregon's athletic and administrative colors are green and gold. Oregon can continue to wear anthracite, black, silver, gray, neon, fluorescent yellow, etc, but that doesn't make them official athletic colors.

Since the identity redesign, Arizona State's official athletic colors are black, maroon and gold. So even though black was added to be trendy, wearing uniforms emphasizing the color means they are promoting the new brand.

Okay, so I guess I've been confused at the "great" debate when people continually complain about lack of team colors in uniforms. I was thinking people where whining about lack of athletic colors or addition of OFFICIAL athletic colors, not INSTITUTION colors.

However, in ASU's case, if black is an OFFICIAL ATHLETICS COLOR, how is it BFBS?

If you don't understand at this point, I have to believe it's because you don't want to.

I mean I want to understand the MAIN reason CCSLC is so obsessed with calling BFBS. I swear half the time it shouldn't be a surprise when a team with black IN THEIR COLORS gets a black jersey yet it's called BFBS.

I also don't see why if you officially add a color to your official athletic colors why it's not an official color. It's like the style guide means nothing if it has black in it.

I also don't see why if you officially add a color to your official athletic colors why it's not an official color. It's like the style guide means nothing if it has black in it.

This has been covered to death, but it does seem like you understand it, at least in your first sentence.

If the team officially adds it to the athletic color scheme, it's an official color.

The style guide means nothing if you randomly add any other color to the uniforms just because you feel like it.

If a team uses ANY color specifically as trim, or otherwise minimally, and decides to emphasize it "just because", that's where many people have issues. Black has consistently been the offending color over the past 20 or so years, but others include Navy Blue, Powder Blue and Gray/Silver/Anthracite.

If Michigan decides to wear a black jersey "just because", it's BFBS.

If Michigan decides to add black to the maize and blue, and wear black jerseys, then they are just expanding their color scheme. But the act of officially adding black to a color scheme just to be trendy and/or sell merchandise is also BFBS.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

This has been covered to death, but it does seem like you understand it, at least in your first sentence.

If the team officially adds it to the athletic color scheme, it's an official color.

The style guide means nothing if you randomly add any other color to the uniforms just because you feel like it.

If a team uses ANY color specifically as trim, or otherwise minimally, and decides to emphasize it "just because", that's where many people have issues. Black has consistently been the offending color over the past 20 or so years, but others include Navy Blue, Powder Blue and Gray/Silver/Anthracite.

If Michigan decides to add black to the maize and blue, and wear black jerseys, then they are just expanding their color scheme. But the act of officially adding black to a color scheme just to be trendy and/or sell merchandise is also BFBS.

No I understand that. I don't understand people telling me that Arizona State's brand new black uniforms along with the brand new style guide which officially added black as a color, is BFBS

No I understand that. I don't understand people telling me that Arizona State's brand new black uniforms along with the brand new style guide which officially added black as a color, is BFBS

Because they didn't use black before, and they only added it as an official color to be trendy.

gbaCXZn.png

Because there was no good reason for adding it besides looking "kool."

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

It was still officially added therefore by everyone's reasoning, it is NOT BFBS

Making it official isn't everything. The motives also play into it, and ASU didn't have a truly valid motive for adding it besides trying to appeal more to fashion-minded recruits and merchandise buyers.

I think you may have skipped over a couple parts of Slapshot's (and other member's) post. Here is a portion of Slapshot's previous post.

But the act of officially adding black to a color scheme just to be trendy and/or sell merchandise is also BFBS.

gbaCXZn.png

I think you may have skipped over a couple parts of Slapshot's (and other member's) post. Here is a portion of Slapshot's previous post.

But the act of officially adding black to a color scheme just to be trendy and/or sell merchandise is also BFBS.

New Term Coined: BOAFBSTSMAHR = black officially added for black's sake to sell merchandise and help recruiting

New Term Coined: BOAFBSTSMAHR = black officially added for black's sake to sell merchandise and help recruiting

That just about summarizes it. But then again, if you're a program like ASU, who struggles to get fans to see their football games, anything helps right? Plus the new uniforms look awesome. Not that old ones were bad, in fact, I really liked them, but these are fiercer and more aggressive than a smily cartoon devil.

Archived