2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Season

NEW.ERA

As much as I rather not care For Jimmie, he actually makes a pretty good point to add more road courses, even expand NASCAR into Canada.

Jimmie Johnson would like to see more road courses added to the Sprint Cup schedule and believes a race in Canada is something NASCAR should explore.

The reigning Cup champion, only once a winner on a road course in NASCAR, would favor the addition of a race in Canada to the top-level series' schedule in the future, as he sees major interest from fans in the neighbor country who often make the trip south of the border to attend Cup events.

"My perspective on heading north and into Canada to race is from a fan hunger standpoint," Johnson said. "We have a huge racing audience in Canada. The Canadian fans travel to Michigan, to Loudon even further south to come see our sport, and their presence is felt. We sing their national anthem at certain racetracks for a reason. I think it is an untapped market of sorts in an area where we can see some growth.

http://www.racer.com/johnson-wants-cup-race-in-canada/article/209995/

baltimoreravens.png

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I rather not care For Jimmie, he actually makes a pretty good point to add more road courses, even expand NASCAR into Canada.

Jimmie Johnson would like to see more road courses added to the Sprint Cup schedule and believes a race in Canada is something NASCAR should explore.

The reigning Cup champion, only once a winner on a road course in NASCAR, would favor the addition of a race in Canada to the top-level series' schedule in the future, as he sees major interest from fans in the neighbor country who often make the trip south of the border to attend Cup events.

"My perspective on heading north and into Canada to race is from a fan hunger standpoint," Johnson said. "We have a huge racing audience in Canada. The Canadian fans travel to Michigan, to Loudon even further south to come see our sport, and their presence is felt. We sing their national anthem at certain racetracks for a reason. I think it is an untapped market of sorts in an area where we can see some growth.

http://www.racer.com/johnson-wants-cup-race-in-canada/article/209995/

Not like there aren't any road courses in Canada:

Toronto

Montreal

If they'd prefer permanent road course, there's this place east of Oshawa.

I personally wouldn't mind NASCAR trying out the new Circuit of the Americas near Austin, TX.

I'm all for at least two more Road Courses. NASCAR will never go to a street circuit, so that pretty much leaves Montreal as the only choice which is totally fine, and I'm with AstroBull and getting NASCAR to head to the Circuit of the Americas.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Well now I want to discuss my fantasy NASCAR scheduling :P

There is probably only one track that'd I give a second race to and that's Las Vegas. It's the only Speedway Motorsports Inc track (minus Infineon and Kentucky) that doesn't have a second race. That second Vegas race should be the season finale race, Homestead never did it for me, and I wouldn't shed a tear if it magically was booted off of the sked. Pocono and for god sake who's bright idea was it to give Chicago and Kansas a second race.

Montreal > Early Pocono

Circuit of the Americas > Kansas

2nd Texas Race > Give Darlington it's fall race

Las Vegas > Homestead finale

Homestead > Chicago

Having Montreal replace the Early Pocono race, might be a bit to close to Infineon, but you could have Infineon in the first half of the year, Montreal at the start of the summer, Watkins Glen at the end of the Summer and CoAmerica's in the Fall for the Chase.

Having a road course in the Chase is vital, be it Infineon or the new CoAmericas.

Leading up to Chase

1. Michigan

2. Watkins Glen

3. Bristol

4. Atlanta (Or give it to Darlington for their Labour Day Weekend Race)

5. Richmond

My Chase would be

1. Darlington (Could be Atlanta)

2. Homestead

3. New Hampshire

4. Dover

5. Circuit of the Americas

6. Charlotte

7. Martinsville

8. Talladega

9. Phoenix

10. Las Vegas

Well now I want to discuss my fantasy NASCAR scheduling :P

There is probably only one track that'd I give a second race to and that's Las Vegas. It's the only Speedway Motorsports Inc track (minus Infineon and Kentucky) that doesn't have a second race. That second Vegas race should be the season finale race, Homestead never did it for me, and I wouldn't shed a tear if it magically was booted off of the sked. Pocono and for god sake who's bright idea was it to give Chicago and Kansas a second race.

Montreal > Early Pocono

Circuit of the Americas > Kansas

2nd Texas Race > Give Darlington it's fall race

Las Vegas > Homestead finale

Homestead > Chicago

Having Montreal replace the Early Pocono race, might be a bit to close to Infineon, but you could have Infineon in the first half of the year, Montreal at the start of the summer, Watkins Glen at the end of the Summer and CoAmerica's in the Fall for the Chase.

Having a road course in the Chase is vital, be it Infineon or the new CoAmericas.

Leading up to Chase

1. Michigan

2. Watkins Glen

3. Bristol

4. Atlanta (Or give it to Darlington for their Labour Day Weekend Race)

5. Richmond

My Chase would be

1. Darlington (Could be Atlanta)

2. Homestead

3. New Hampshire

4. Dover

5. Circuit of the Americas

6. Charlotte

7. Martinsville

8. Talladega

9. Phoenix

10. Las Vegas

Consider me a fan of this. Get a NASCAR race at the Circuit.

baltimoreravens.png

I've always thought Homestead was a lame place to have the final race of the Chase. I mean it's good and all, but it just doesn't have the pizzaz that Vegas would bring, or the history that Charlotte would bring.

I don't mind Homestead being on the schedule, but definitely not for the finale.

First of all, Montreal is actually a horrible road course race. It's too tight of a course and provides no real racing. I'm pretty sure that NASCAR is not too upset at losing the race/track. If NASCAR really wanted Montreal, they wouldn't have let it get to the situation it's gotten to. Honestly, I don't think they really like the racing that the track provides, so they are secretly glad Montreal is having problems so they can go find somewhere else to race instead. I think they want to be in Canada, but I think they want to go somewhere else as the Montreal track is just too much of a headache for them being on an island. If they could get to Mosport, then I think they'd be happier and possibly even think about bringing Cup up there.

As far as Vegas getting a second date let alone the last race of the season makes me sick. First of all, the hype surrounding Vegas comes from Bruton Smith (aka B.S.). Vegas wouldn't even get a sniff for a second date let alone the last date if it wasn't for B.S. and his mouth. I understand as a destination Vegas is a spot to go to. As far as racing goes, I know B.S. hates to hear this, but the Vegas races aren't anything to write home about. You can put Vegas in the same category of racing as Michigan, California, Texas, Charlotte, and Pocono. Large tracks that produce long green flag runs, but the exciting side by side beating and banging racing is not there. Are Vegas races bad? No. They just aren't great either. Vegas deserves one date, just like the tracks above I mentioned. If you want to have a season ending race that provides excitement, then you go to the Glen, Sears Point, Daytona, Talladega, Bristol, or Richmond. If you want to have great racing and a track that provides excitement, then you go to Richmond. Richmond always provides great racing and enough banging that it is the perfect track to end the season.

The Montreal race reminds me of Infineon without the hills. The races there are always exciting, and the fans really were into it.

On a related note, Ambrose has a winning streak, Carpentier's crew members pulled Steven Wallace's hair, and DANICADANICADANICA, she finished 24th, give it a rest.

I've always thought Homestead was a lame place to have the final race of the Chase. I mean it's good and all, but it just doesn't have the pizzaz that Vegas would bring, or the history that Charlotte would bring.

I don't mind Homestead being on the schedule, but definitely not for the finale.

Remember that before Homestead, the series ended in Atlanta, a SMC (Smith) track like what Las Vegas and Charlotte are.

As long as there is a warm weather option for NASCAR, they will stay "at home" and start/end on an ISC (publicly owned, but still France family run) track. in mid to late November in Richmond could be iffy weather wise. The fact that Chicagoland was added illustrates that ISC is at least trying to change the image of that venue. Craig Rust was removed as CEO there, but prior to this year they used to make you buy tickets to all events (Sprint Cup, Indy Car, and lesser NASCAR series) before , thus were losing out to the second hand market.

If they wanted the banquet in LVMS and Auto Club/Fontana actually drew, then that would be the site for the season ending race.

Remember that before Homestead, the series ended in Atlanta, a SMC (Smith) track like what Las Vegas and Charlotte are.

As long as there is a warm weather option for NASCAR, they will stay "at home" and start/end on an ISC (publicly owned, but still France family run) track. in mid to late November in Richmond could be iffy weather wise. The fact that Chicagoland was added illustrates that ISC is at least trying to change the image of that venue. Craig Rust was removed as CEO there, but prior to this year they used to make you buy tickets to all events (Sprint Cup, Indy Car, and lesser NASCAR series) before , thus were losing out to the second hand market.

If they wanted the banquet in LVMS and Auto Club/Fontana actually drew, then that would be the site for the season ending race.

Fontana does draw, the past showed that. It's just the fact that when they went to two races, the allure of it being a hot ticket in town went away because you had a choice. Before California got two dates it was a sellout. I don't see California ever having the season ending race for a few reasons. One, November is the end of fire season and to have the last weekend of the season postponed due to wild fires is a possiblity. Secondly, the end of the season is right about the time that the NHRA is ending about 20 minutes away in Pomona and that would be gridlock hell. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a written agreement between Fontana and Pomona never to compete on the same weekend. Throw in the fact that Homestead has never had a rain problem at the end of the year and there is no chance that another track will ever get the last race of the year. They want to know that the last races of the year are going to happen as scheduled and not be postponed at all.

Well, Kyle just got his shot at the chase after yesterday's win @ Michigan. Most of my friends have said if anyone that drives a Toyota has a chance of stopping Jimmie's Six peat... is him

Speaking of Toyota they are announcing the 2012 Camry with.... "a special NASCAR-related announcement will be made as part of the program." I'm hoping they're making the chasis look different or it could be the whole TRD engine. All will be revealed tomorrow.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/global+launch+of+all+new+2012+toyota+camry.htm

baltimoreravens.png

As of today, the favorites to win the championship would be Jimmie (for obvious reasons, and throw in the fact that they look like they've got their pit issues worked out), Kyle, and the Blue Deuce. Yes I did say Kesolowski. I have never been so impressed by a driver than I have over the last three weeks. This kid has dug down deep and is driving like a champion. Of course the challengers will change once the chase starts. It's just those three teams are showing what it takes right now heading into the Chase, what it takes to win. The rest of them are just there.

Toyota debuted the look of the 2012 Camry today and the new headlights make their debut this weekend at Bristol on Joe Gibbs Racing cars. It's one ugly looking car! http://joegibbsracing.com/2011/08/23/first-look-2012-toyota-camry-racecar/

Is it bad that I looked at the new Camry & automatically thought that it was a Civic with a Toyota badge?

baltimoreravens.png

BK2 making the blue deuce look like it's 1998 again at Bristol! I've been looking for a new driver to cheer for since Rusty hung it up. I think BK might just get my vote.

This kid is for real, and he will make the Chase and be a threat! Because as of right now, if he makes it, he'll go into Chicago as the second guy in points because of his 3 wins.

Archived