2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Season

NEW.ERA

A serious question for folks here: Why do people like watching plate races? The first 400 miles are irrelevant since track position is meaningless. I guess you could say it's about the wrecks, but seriously... if I wanted to see a bunch of wrecks I would just watch demolition derby.

It's the same reason to watch any sport all the way through. It's called story lines and you want to know what happened and how they happened.

I'd agree with you on that point about the other 32 races on the schedule, but at Talladega and Daytona track position is pretty pointless since everyone runs at relatively the same speed and nobody can ever get very far ahead of anyone else. Even with the "tandem" racing that has been going on recently with the CoT and new racing surfaces, nobody can separate themselves as "the car to beat".

It makes for exciting finishes, I admit, but everything before that just seems like filler if you ask me.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uggggghhhhhh with Harvick crashing, but that could've been wayyy worse if it weren't for being able to fix the car up and the fact that other cars crashed out. At the very least he's still in it, but the way Edwards and Kenseth have been running I don't think he's gonna be able to catch up to them

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Does anyone else find it ironic that Edwards could very well win this thing in a manner very similar to how Matt won in 2003? With one victory and a host of top 5s? In 2003 it was such a "travesty" that we had to have the Chase implemented to avoid such a thing ever happening again. (Not my opinion...consistency is extrememly difficult)

How will this play if it holds? My guess is he'd largely get a pass and the irony would go unmentioned by the media. He has proven he can BE dominant and win races. (Victory lane what? 9 times a few years back?) He's also very good on camera and most importantly the final four races are liable to be much more exciting than the extended corronation that ended 2003. So, I'll concede...it's not EXACTLY the same.

But still. Wasn't this supposed to be put in place to guard against this exact scenario?

I still hold to what I've always thought. A season long points race is imminently fair. But if you choose to manufacture excitement for the modern attention-deficit viewership....you have to throw out all semblence of "fairness". Is the NCAA Tourney "fair"?. Only in it's unilateral unfairness. Only the seeding is fair. But one bad day can still waste a very good season. What we currently have in NASCAR is a hybrid. It's kinda fair..and kind of exciting...but already at least 7-8 guys are all but eliminated. I propose they set the Chase field the same way, but that the Chase be a single elimination tourney. Worst finisher each week is out. Points count for the record books, for Ownership title and for the top 35..but each week on track...there are no leads of any kind. THat would make for something much less fair, but it would be "must-see" for more casual fans in a crowded fall sports lineup. HOmestead would automatically have a three way dead heat for the title every season...like clockwork.

I would also consider starting active Chase participants at the front of the field (by points) and allowing anyone who wins any race an autobid into the Chase. (no limit).

THoughts?

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Does anyone else find it ironic that Edwards could very well win this thing in a manner very similar to how Matt won in 2003? With one victory and a host of top 5s? In 2003 it was such a "travesty" that we had to have the Chase implemented to avoid such a thing ever happening again. (Not my opinion...consistency is extrememly difficult)

How will this play if it holds? My guess is he'd largely get a pass and the irony would go unmentioned by the media. He has proven he can BE dominant and win races. (Victory lane what? 9 times a few years back?) He's also very good on camera and most importantly the final four races are liable to be much more exciting than the extended corronation that ended 2003. So, I'll concede...it's not EXACTLY the same.

But still. Wasn't this supposed to be put in place to guard against this exact scenario?

I still hold to what I've always thought. A season long points race is imminently fair. But if you choose to manufacture excitement for the modern attention-deficit viewership....you have to throw out all semblence of "fairness". Is the NCAA Tourney "fair"?. Only in it's unilateral unfairness. Only the seeding is fair. But one bad day can still waste a very good season. What we currently have in NASCAR is a hybrid. It's kinda fair..and kind of exciting...but already at least 7-8 guys are all but eliminated. I propose they set the Chase field the same way, but that the Chase be a single elimination tourney. Worst finisher each week is out. Points count for the record books, for Ownership title and for the top 35..but each week on track...there are no leads of any kind. THat would make for something much less fair, but it would be "must-see" for more casual fans in a crowded fall sports lineup. HOmestead would automatically have a three way dead heat for the title every season...like clockwork.

I would also consider starting active Chase participants at the front of the field (by points) and allowing anyone who wins any race an autobid into the Chase. (no limit).

THoughts?

Do you not pay attention? Every week basically someone is eliminated. This week Kyle Busch and Jimmie Johnson were eliminated. Next week will be Kevin Harvick. I figure going into the final race, it'll either be three or four drivers still in contention. Oh and by the way, Edwards will not win. Really it's between Matt Kenseth who's been running better week in and week out and Tony Stewart who's had quite possibly the most bizarre season, where races he looks good and races where he looks like crap. Honestly, for as well as Edwards has finished in these Chase races, he's not shown to me a dominance that proves he's the driver to beat. Matt Kenseth is that driver, and has been all Chase long.

THoughts?

Do you not pay attention? Every week basically someone is eliminated. This week Kyle Busch and Jimmie Johnson were eliminated. Next week will be Kevin Harvick. I figure going into the final race, it'll either be three or four drivers still in contention. Oh and by the way, Edwards will not win. Really it's between Matt Kenseth who's been running better week in and week out and Tony Stewart who's had quite possibly the most bizarre season, where races he looks good and races where he looks like crap. Honestly, for as well as Edwards has finished in these Chase races, he's not shown to me a dominance that proves he's the driver to beat. Matt Kenseth is that driver, and has been all Chase long.

Do I not pay attention? Is that rhetorical? 'Course I do. I'm just putting out there that NASCAR has attempted to frame their "postseason" like other playoffs in other sports, but has done so without the brutal and sudden finality we relish in other sports. The Chase, taken as it's own entity, is not a fair way to determine a champion. We all know this. Tony Stewart (2), Gordon, and Harvick have each been the "best" wire to wire during 4 of the #48s 5 consecutive titles. And I'm OK with that. It happens in other sports all the time. The '11 Phillies, the '98 Vikes and dozens of other teams have all been the "best" regular season teams...odds on favorites to win and ended up losing. But the Chase offers watered down unofficial eliminations. Yes, each week whomever finishes poorly is effectively eliminated. So why not officially eliminate them is my point? In the NCAA tourney (or any playoff tourney format) you are not penalized for how close you came to losing in the prior round. The fact that you survived is all that matters and you start the next round 0-0. In the Chase, you ARE penalized. You are now XX points behind making your next race (round) all the more likely to fail. As I stated, it's a hybrid. It's an elimination but it isn't. And for me at least, that doesn't work in terms of generating do or die excitement. Under my scenario? Hamlin eliminated week 1. (No big shock). Newman eliminated week 2. (no big shock) but Tony Stewart would have been eliminated Week 3 after winning the first two races!! That's harsh! Fair? No. But it's the kind of thing that other sports have and thrive on. That's the Falcons choking to the Packers last year as the #1 seed. That makes (or would make) the Chase worth watching...every lap. A blown engine or piece of debris could ruin a season in sudden fashion. Right now? It takes several weeks of subpar performace to fall out of contention...it's anticlimactic and tedious. I'm just making my case that a literal playoff solution exists if they were bold enough to try it. And it would be heartwrenching and impossible to take your eyes off of.

For the record, I prefer it the old way. But that cow is already out of the barn. Can never go back now (to no playoff) without acknowledging the Chase era as an aberration. So if we're in playoff mode....let's do playoff mode. Make every week the week you could be done. Under my scenario Carl could go home after Martinsville and someone like Kyle, Kurt or Jeff is still totally alive. Explain how that wouldn't be more exciting.

Hope you're right about Matt though. I'm definitely pulling for him to and I like his chances.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Chad Knaus still his old self

Knaus was caught on NASCAR.com's RaceBuddy feed telling the five-time defending Sprint Cup champion that "if we win this race, you have to crack the back of the race car. Got it?"

Knaus admitted he made the comments. He added it wasn't an attempt to cover up anything illegal, that he was being cautious in case bump drafting knocked the tolerances of the car beyond what NASCAR allows.

Knaus said Friday's meeting at Martinsville Speedway -- with NASCAR president Mike Helton, director of competition Robin Pemberton and Sprint Cup series director John Darby -- was held simply to clear the air.

"I have a very clear understanding of what they expect and the way they expect us to conduct ourselves," Knaus told ESPN.com immediately after the meeting. "I meant no disrespect to NASCAR or any of the competitors by no means."

NASCAR officials said no punishment would result from Knaus' comments and that the purpose of their discussion with him was to gather information.

"As the sport's governing body, we were doing our due diligence to look into this and gain some insight into the comments Chad made before the race at Talladega," NASCAR spokesman Kerry Tharp said. "We have a responsibility to the rest of the garage area to ensure that everyone is competing on a level playing field with the inspection processes we have in place.

"The 48 organization knows that from this occurrence that their car is likely to be a regular customer at the (NASCAR Research and Development) Center for post-race inspection the balance of this season."

NASCAR typically takes the winning car and one random selection to the Research and Development Center for further inspection.

Johnson obviously was caught off-guard by Knaus' comments, responding, "Really?"

Knaus responded by saying: "Yes, got it? You don't have to hit it hard, you don't have to destroy it. But you've gotta do a doughnut and you've gotta hit the back end, or somebody's gotta hit you in the ass-end or something. OK?"

Johnson said he'd never been asked that by Knaus before.

Knaus was caught on NASCAR.com's RaceBuddy feed telling the five-time defending Sprint Cup champion that "if we win this race, you have to crack the back of the race car. Got it?"

Knaus admitted he made the comments. He added it wasn't an attempt to cover up anything illegal, that he was being cautious in case bump drafting knocked the tolerances of the car beyond what NASCAR allows.

Knaus said Friday's meeting at Martinsville Speedway -- with NASCAR president Mike Helton, director of competition Robin Pemberton and Sprint Cup series director John Darby -- was held simply to clear the air.

"I have a very clear understanding of what they expect and the way they expect us to conduct ourselves," Knaus told ESPN.com immediately after the meeting. "I meant no disrespect to NASCAR or any of the competitors by no means."

NASCAR officials said no punishment would result from Knaus' comments and that the purpose of their discussion with him was to gather information.

"As the sport's governing body, we were doing our due diligence to look into this and gain some insight into the comments Chad made before the race at Talladega," NASCAR spokesman Kerry Tharp said. "We have a responsibility to the rest of the garage area to ensure that everyone is competing on a level playing field with the inspection processes we have in place.

"The 48 organization knows that from this occurrence that their car is likely to be a regular customer at the (NASCAR Research and Development) Center for post-race inspection the balance of this season."

NASCAR typically takes the winning car and one random selection to the Research and Development Center for further inspection.

Johnson obviously was caught off-guard by Knaus' comments, responding, "Really?"

Knaus responded by saying: "Yes, got it? You don't have to hit it hard, you don't have to destroy it. But you've gotta do a doughnut and you've gotta hit the back end, or somebody's gotta hit you in the ass-end or something. OK?"

<_< Idiot.... I mean Johnson & Knauss aren't exactly what some would consider "squeaky clean"

baltimoreravens.png

Between this and the "Stop being my cheerleader" comment from Johnson to Knaus a few weeks back, I wouldn't be surprised if Knaus is gone after the season.

Also makes me think of this:

Mark Martin to drive the 00 for MWR next season, meaning Kahne probably slots in driving the 5 at Hendrick.

The Kahne deal was finalized a long time ago. They even unveiled his car a month or two ago. This does make Reutimann's situation interesting.

Honestly haven't seen the Kahne car. Yeah kind of a :censored: deal for Reutimann who has done very well in that Car. He is under contract with MWR next year, but unless they want to run a fourth car, he's kinda the odd man out with Martin, Truex Jr and Bowyer.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Wasn't Martin going to retire at some point a couple of years ago? What happened?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Mark Martin to drive the 00 for MWR next season, meaning Kahne probably slots in driving the 5 at Hendrick.

The Kahne deal was finalized a long time ago. They even unveiled his car a month or two ago. This does make Reutimann's situation interesting.

Honestly haven't seen the Kahne car. Yeah kind of a :censored: deal for Reutimann who has done very well in that Car. He is under contract with MWR next year, but unless they want to run a fourth car, he's kinda the odd man out with Martin, Truex Jr and Bowyer.

Kasey Kahne's #5 rides

Sucks for David Reutimann, picked him up as my hometown guy since he lives down the road from my town.

It's soooo bad that Red Bull broke up, and Kahne is going to Hendrick. 17 years of hating Jeff Gordon, with a friendly rivalry with my dad, and now they're teammates? Lame. The cars don't look bad, though.

I'm sure someone picks up Reutimann, just based on experience. He's actually over 40, which was surprising. But a team that doesn't have a minor league system and wants a driver should get him.

As long as he's not a start'em-and-park'em driver.

Archived