2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Season

NEW.ERA

This Edwards vs. Stewart championship battle's gonna be a ton of fun. Today's race was hyped as a showdown between the two at TMS and they didn't disappoint, finishing 1-2. The way these two have been running, it could very well go down to the last turn at Homestead. Even with Harvick out of the mix, this is will be a hell of a ride to watch Smoke and Cousin Carl to finish the season

Carl is done. Yes, he had a good run today, but he knows that it's just a matter of time before he gives up the Championship to Tony. I've seen enough winners and Tony's just playing with him getting ready to throw the knockout punch. What he said last week in Victory Lane and winning this week shows that he knows that he's won the title and there's nothing Carl can do about it. Carl is in the unfortunate position of just keeping it warm for Tony. Then again, I've never believed that Carl would win the Championship. Two quotes from Edwards that shows he knows it's over, "I hope this roll doesn't last much longer, otherwise this is going to be really tough", and "I'm proud of my guys for hanging on and still having the points lead."

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think consistency should be rewarded, but once you get down to the chase, I don't think you can justify having the guy who's won four of the eight races in the chase being in second place to a guy that hasn't won any. Makes those "this year winning means more" campaign seem laughable.

IUe6Hvh.png

Excuse me, but NASCAR giving a $50,000 fine to someone who didn't do anything wrong is just flat-out ridiculous.

Wait...what?

He completely admitted to taking out a title contender on purpose, in a series he's not even competing for points in (meaning he couldn't care less about getting paid back by Hornaday), 15 laps into a 148 lap race.

This was the equivalent to Justin Verlander going down to Double-A and admitting throwing a 99mph fastball at the head of batter who showed him up in the 2nd inning of a game, in the middle of a pennant race.

What about that isn't wrong?

Excuse me, but NASCAR giving a $50,000 fine to someone who didn't do anything wrong is just flat-out ridiculous.

Wait...what?

He completely admitted to taking out a title contender on purpose, in a series he's not even competing for points in (meaning he couldn't care less about getting paid back by Hornaday), 15 laps into a 148 lap race.

This was the equivalent to Justin Verlander going down to Double-A and admitting throwing a 99mph fastball at the head of batter who showed him up in the 2nd inning of a game, in the middle of a pennant race.

What about that isn't wrong?

You're exactly right, of course. However, what's definitely wrong here is that you're replying to the willmorristrollbot. He is incapable of rational thought. And incapable of not trolling. Please just ignore him...everyone, please ignore him. I can't stress this enough.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The new Phoenix configuration took a bit to get used to watching it yesterday, but it looks like even with new pavement and a "green" track (meaning all the rubber washed away from rain the previous night), the racing was good. Once that pavement settles in I think the races at Phoenix are gonna become more and more fun to watch, especially with all the cars diving to the apron on the backstretch (which is more like a 5th turn now)

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

The new Phoenix configuration took a bit to get used to watching it yesterday, but it looks like even with new pavement and a "green" track (meaning all the rubber washed away from rain the previous night), the racing was good. Once that pavement settles in I think the races at Phoenix are gonna become more and more fun to watch, especially with all the cars diving to the apron on the backstretch (which is more like a 5th turn now)

I thought the diving down on to the apron was a little weird... on one lap Hamlin was at least 25 feet below the racing surface. Could be dangerous if multiple cars are doing it and trying to merge back up at the same time. Wonder if NASCAR will make them add some grass or rumble strips down there before the next race at the track.

I thought the diving down on to the apron was a little weird... on one lap Hamlin was at least 25 feet below the racing surface. Could be dangerous if multiple cars are doing it and trying to merge back up at the same time. Wonder if NASCAR will make them add some grass or rumble strips down there before the next race at the track.

I do agree that it was weird watching it, but it provided for quite a few good passing opportunities. I do see your point about that it could potentially become a mess, though. For now, as long as the driver's are driving with their heads, it's fine

Also just bouncing this off WillMorris' post, with the new points system, remember that the race winner also gets 3 bonus points. While the difference between positions is one point, 1st to 2nd IIRC is a 4 point swing. That basically means Stewart can win the championship with a win, unless Edwards leads the most laps and finishes 2nd (46 to 44 points gained)

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I do agree that it was weird watching it, but it provided for quite a few good passing opportunities. I do see your point about that it could potentially become a mess, though. For now, as long as the driver's are driving with their heads, it's fine

Also just bouncing this off WillMorris' post, with the new points system, remember that the race winner also gets 3 bonus points. While the difference between positions is one point, 1st to 2nd IIRC is a 4 point swing. That basically means Stewart can win the championship with a win, unless Edwards leads the most laps and finishes 2nd (46 to 44 points gained)

I love that Tony Stewart can win this, it would be a great story if he does.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This is what I got out of Phoenix. I'd like to see NASCAR do something about the apron on the backstretch. The guy who developed the track, obviously has never watched a race before, otherwise he'd known that the drivers would use the apron as a racing surface and cut the corner. Kasey Kahne has shown some balls, but will probably struggle for the first 6 months over at Hendrick. Look how long they struggled at Red Bull and that was before the announcement that Red Bull was leaving. The new point system makes watching the championship race so much easier, you can sit there and actually know on each lap who's leading the championship. Thank you NASCAR. Brian Vickers and his Vickernism needs to be quarantined. He has a horrible wrecking disease that is contagious. I think he got it from Stephen Wallace and Brian Scott in the Nationwide Series. But whatever is Vickers problem, he really does need to sit out in Homestead. I mean if people are going to jump all over Kyle Busch for wrecking Ron Hornaday under caution on purpose, then they need to slam Vickers for wrecking Kenseth on purpose at about 160 miles an hour. And if you don't believe he did it on purpose than why did he just keep driving Kenseth into the wall? Hmmm...? I do believe in the Racing Gods and when you upset them, them come down hard on you. Kyle, I hate to say this, but you might have pissed off the Racing Gods. You lost two motors this weekend, one in the first practice and the second when you moved your way up to third and had possibly the strongest car. Yeah those Racing Gods are a Royal _itch! Speaking of pissing off the Racing Gods, Kevin Harvick has done it. Let's see Kevin, you sit there and dump drivers year in and year out, and now when one of your drivers gets dumped you whine about it in the media. Hmmm, so what happens when a second KHI driver is going for a championship? That's right he gets dumped on purpose taking him out of the championship hunt. Kevin, the Racing Gods are a Royal _itch aren't they. Actually, the only difference between Kyle and Kevin, is Kyle doesn't pop off in the media and twitter and doesn't run behind his scrawny wife. Oh, and now we know why Jason Leffler won't have a Cup ride ever, dumping Elliott Sadler on purpose? Another case of Vickernism. On to Homestead.

Not quite. Stewart gets 43 + 3 +1 for leading a lap (the last one, at least) - so 47 to 44 and a title on tiebreaker.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived