2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Once the 9th Inning arrives you cant save a game at home, so he brought Wilson in hoping to keep the tie and win it in the 9th, but Hairston's HR blew that up.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After Vin Scully I'd say Bob Costas is the best baseball announcer going.

It just sucks that we're stuck with Buck, McCarver and Fox for any really important game.

Nobody shills like Buck and nobody tells you the obvious like McCarver. Classic McCaverism its raining so any ground ball will be wet.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

There are "total dick" stories for every national broadcaster: Costas, Michaels, Joe Buck, Thom Brennaman, on and on. Though I haven't heard a personal account for Jim Nantz yet.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What's funny about Costas is I met him about a year and a half ago when he was doing a Q+A lecture at SU and he didn't come off anywhere near as smug as I thought he was gonna be. I don't know if it was because he was doing something for his alma mater or something but he was quite a nice guy to all of us in the audience and took pictures with us after the lecture and everything

Now when it comes to national announcers, I've heard nothing but great things about Doc Emrick, but I think we've covered him in 3 different threads by now ^_^

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Jeter hits #3000 and it's a Home Run.

Only the second to do it (Wade Boggs was the other to hit a dinger for #3000, in that funky Devil Rays uniform.) in MLB history. Well done, Jeter. Another feather in the cap of his HoF career.

Wow, Jeter gets it with a homer. I definetely didn't expect that, I expected something like some hard grounder up the middle or some akward-looking opposite field double, but either way, I'm happy for him. As much as I dislike the Yanks, it's hard to dislike Jeter. Pure class. Congrats, Derek.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

unknown Phillie reliever Juan Perez struck out 3 Braves on 9 pitches last night then got the win after Ibanez's walkoff HR in the bottom half. He's the first pitcher in ML history to accomplish it in his first ML win, and he's the first (and only other) pitcher in the last 88 years to do it in extra innings.

Wow, Jeter gets it with a homer. I definetely didn't expect that, I expected something like some hard grounder up the middle or some akward-looking opposite field double, but either way, I'm happy for him. As much as I dislike the Yanks, it's hard to dislike Jeter. Pure class. Congrats, Derek.

It was straight out of a movie. Packed crowd at Yankee Stadium, chanting his name, and bam, blast to LF. HBO must be salivating. They have been following him around the last few weeks for a special on his 3,000 hit, they just got a great ending.

For anyone who didnt see it.

http://www.yesnetwork.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=16783337

EDIT: And he just passed Roberto Clemente on the all-time hits list with hit # 3,001. Up next, Al Kaline at 3,007. He's also triple shy of the cycle....REALLY?

Congrats Derek, what an unlikely way for him to get it. The crowd was going absolutely crazy.

Just wait until they remember that Jeter's overpaid and can't field. B)

Hater.

Not really, he is overpaid. But that's no reason not to celebrate him getting his 3,000th hit.

And he's still "decent" in the field. :P

Archived