2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

I actually think that Jeter should have at least showed up to the game. Granted I'm as big of a Jeter fan as anyone else on the planet, but I have to say I don't agree with him. The idiots of ESPN who are trying to say he should play are completely wrong, as Dexter said there's no need for him to risk re-injury playing in a meaningless (let's be honest) game. But in my opinion he could've shown up for 2 or 3 innings, waved to the fans and left in the 4th, then he has a over a day to rest and do what he wants. That's just my opinion.

I just don't think the All-Star Game is important enough for him to fly across country for.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think that Jeter should have at least showed up to the game. Granted I'm as big of a Jeter fan as anyone else on the planet, but I have to say I don't agree with him. The idiots of ESPN who are trying to say he should play are completely wrong, as Dexter said there's no need for him to risk re-injury playing in a meaningless (let's be honest) game. But in my opinion he could've shown up for 2 or 3 innings, waved to the fans and left in the 4th, then he has a over a day to rest and do what he wants. That's just my opinion.

I just don't think the All-Star Game is important enough for him to fly across country for.

It is when baseball fans voted him in as an All-Star starter. He at least owes the fans a tipping of the cap at the ballpark since the fans wanted him there.

Here's the perfect way to make the Homerun Derby worth watching again (as well as cutting down on the actual length of the event...no way should this take over 3 hours).

1. Aluminum bats. Let's see balls routinely travel over 500 feet.

2. Pitching machines that throw the ball in the heart of the strikezone each time. Machine gets operated by an umpire.

3. Pitch limits per batter (15-20 sounds about right). No more "outs", but all you get is X-amount of pitches to hit homers. Fans don't pay big money to watch batters keep the bat on their shoulder and take about 55-60% of the pitches tossed their way.

4. None of these time-wasting shenanigans, whether it be a little kid bringing his dad Powerade or teammates/countrymen fanning the batter with a towel after each pitch.

5. Keep Chris "Back back back back back back back back, hello Poughkeepsie!" Berman the hell away from the broadcast booth.

1. The players would never enter. It would throw off their swing, and in addition could hurt some fans.

2. As Sam Fuld said last night, live arms are the way to go. I, personally, agree with that. Hitting is all about timing, and it's near impossible to time a pitching machine.

3. But the best part is seeing the players (like Josh Hamilton or Bobby Abreu) hit 25-30 homers!

4. That would ruin the whole fun aspect of this for the players. The players would never want to come if they couldn't have fun with it.

5. Agreed.

1. Batters alter their swings all the time. And ANY batted ball can hurt fans, idiot.

2. A pitching machine is the easiest thing to time. And it throws the ball in the same damn spot each time. You're telling me a MLB All-Star can't hit an 75mph fastball that's down the middle?

3. The best part about a Home Run Derby is seeing balls hit farther than we'd ever see during a game. Hitting 25 homers is nice, but it becomes dull if most of them are barely clearing the fence.

4. They can have the fun before and after their at-bats. You mentioned timing earlier...wouldn't these 30-second long breaks do more damage to rhythm and timing than a consistent pitching machine?

It is when baseball fans voted him in as an All-Star starter. He at least owes the fans a tipping of the cap at the ballpark since the fans wanted him there.

Wrong, his first obligation is to be 100% healthy and rested for the Yankees and their fans in the second half.

Wrong, his first obligation is to be 100% healthy and rested for the Yankees and their fans in the second half.

He can claim any injury he wants, but if the fans voted for you to be there, the least you can do is sit in the dugout, wave your cap to the fans during the introductions, and relax in the dugout again for 3.5 hours.

He can claim any injury he wants, but if the fans voted for you to be there, the least you can do is sit in the dugout, wave your cap to the fans during the introductions, and relax in the dugout again for 3.5 hours.

I guess I'll just re-post this, since I would be saying the same thing.

It's not his job to save MLB All-Star game from being even more boring than it always is. He tipped his hat the other day, in Yankee Stadium, in front of the only fans he has an obligation to.

He tipped his hat the other day, in Yankee Stadium, in front of the only fans he has an obligation to.

Call it a hunch, but I think more than the complete seating capacity of Yankee Stadium voted him into the game.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here's the perfect way to make the Homerun Derby worth watching again (as well as cutting down on the actual length of the event...no way should this take over 3 hours).

1. Aluminum bats. Let's see balls routinely travel over 500 feet.

2. Pitching machines that throw the ball in the heart of the strikezone each time. Machine gets operated by an umpire.

3. Pitch limits per batter (15-20 sounds about right). No more "outs", but all you get is X-amount of pitches to hit homers. Fans don't pay big money to watch batters keep the bat on their shoulder and take about 55-60% of the pitches tossed their way.

4. None of these time-wasting shenanigans, whether it be a little kid bringing his dad Powerade or teammates/countrymen fanning the batter with a towel after each pitch.

5. Keep Chris "Back back back back back back back back, hello Poughkeepsie!" Berman the hell away from the broadcast booth.

1. The players would never enter. It would throw off their swing, and in addition could hurt some fans.

2. As Sam Fuld said last night, live arms are the way to go. I, personally, agree with that. Hitting is all about timing, and it's near impossible to time a pitching machine.

3. But the best part is seeing the players (like Josh Hamilton or Bobby Abreu) hit 25-30 homers!

4. That would ruin the whole fun aspect of this for the players. The players would never want to come if they couldn't have fun with it.

5. Agreed.

1. Batters alter their swings all the time. And ANY batted ball can hurt fans, idiot.

2. A pitching machine is the easiest thing to time. And it throws the ball in the same damn spot each time. You're telling me a MLB All-Star can't hit an 75mph fastball that's down the middle?

3. The best part about a Home Run Derby is seeing balls hit farther than we'd ever see during a game. Hitting 25 homers is nice, but it becomes dull if most of them are barely clearing the fence.

4. They can have the fun before and after their at-bats. You mentioned timing earlier...wouldn't these 30-second long breaks do more damage to rhythm and timing than a consistent pitching machine?

1. Really? You're a complete asscrack. And using a much different bat can easily lift players -- especially the ones that are participating in the Derby that HAVEN'T altered their swing in a while That's why they're doing so well -- into a slump.

2. It isn't my opinion, it's the players. This was brought up last night, and Sam Fuld said that the majority of players prefer live arms over machines. It's not what I think, it's what the players think.

3. Fine. I suppose the pitch limit could work.

4. Fine.

25yzwqg.png

According to Ballpark Digest, the Astros will move to the AL West in 2013.

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/201107133996/major-league-baseball/news/astros-to-al-west-report

Can't say I'm going to miss that ballpark.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Always thought Milwaukee was a better fit for the AL.

And if the White Sox and Twins had fans that traveled well, you'd have a point.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived