2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Did anyone notice how when Joe Buck was announcing the players before the game, it was Miguel Cabrera's turn and he says, "From the Seattle Mariners, Felix Hernandez"...you gotta be kidding me.

No.

Also, was Buck announcing the lineups? That was a disaster too.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone gonna acknowledge the latest baseball news? The Brewers are now legit NL contenders with K-Rod.

*AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!*

Oh wait, you're serious.

*AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It is when baseball fans voted him in as an All-Star starter. He at least owes the fans a tipping of the cap at the ballpark since the fans wanted him there.

More people voted for Jeter to NOT be the AL shortstop than voted for him to start. So Jeter simply pleased the majority of fans who thought he shouldn't be there.

I think any player who doesn't want to play in the All-Star game for any reason shouldn't have to, and should have no fear of punishment for not showing up.

Is anyone gonna acknowledge the latest baseball news? The Brewers are now legit NL contenders with K-Rod.

...Huh? His .342 BABIP is a lot worse than the average (the .270-.330 range) for closers, he's on pace for the second-worst K/9 mark of his career, and opponents are batting .260 against him so far this year (by far the worst he's been in that category). That plus his off-the-field issues would preclude him from single-handedly making any team a contender in my book.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Drew Magary's line-by-line takedown of that column is spot on and definitely worth reading, though.

It's articles like these that make me wish Fire Joe Morgan still existed beyond their yearly Deadspin reunion weeks.

I only made it through two paragraphs of that. Magary isn't FJM, and really needs to stop trying to be. Bleh.

I've gotten to the point where reading the snarky fisking of bad sportswriting is more painful than reading bad sportswriting. I hope you're happy, Mitch Albom.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

He tipped his hat the other day, in Yankee Stadium, in front of the only fans he has an obligation to.

Call it a hunch, but I think more than the complete seating capacity of Yankee Stadium voted him into the game.

So I guess this would also mean people are mad Derek Jeter didn't tip his hat to the Arizona Diamondback fans in Chase Field. It has nothing to do with television.

He tipped his hat the other day, in Yankee Stadium, in front of the only fans he has an obligation to.

Call it a hunch, but I think more than the complete seating capacity of Yankee Stadium voted him into the game.

So I guess this would also mean people are mad Derek Jeter didn't tip his hat to the Arizona Diamondback fans in Chase Field. It has nothing to do with television.

After the massive slurping Jeter got over the weekend, dude had better tip his cap in every stadium in baseball.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It'll take a lot of cap-tipping to make up for Ian O'Connor's Rockwellian clouds and red balloons. Jeter had better get cracking.

Why should Jeter tip his cap just because some toolbelt wrote some horrendous articles?

Yanks got lit up like a Christmas Tree tonight.

Not joking I heard it on the radio this morning

Derek Jeter made three errors because the turf is too worn-Joe Giradi

The Jays were stealing signs-Russell Martin

My hamstring was tight because and I could not get loose-Bartolo Colon

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The only one that I could understand of the three is the turf one. Who really knows about that one. And if it was too worn it definitely could've affected balls in play, but you would think it would affect the Jays as well. The Martin one is just the classic "my team gave up a huge amount of runs so I'll accuse the other team of stealing signs". And if Colon's hamstring was tight and it couldn't get lose, he shouldn't have went out there to pitch. He's already been battling injuries down there and at his age there should be no taking risks.

The only one that I could understand of the three is the turf one. Who really knows about that one. And if it was too worn it definitely could've affected balls in play, but you would think it would affect the Jays as well. The Martin one is just the classic "my team gave up a huge amount of runs so I'll accuse the other team of stealing signs". And if Colon's hamstring was tight and it couldn't get lose, he shouldn't have went out there to pitch. He's already been battling injuries down there and at his age there should be no taking risks.

While I'll say that playing on turf is a bit annoying as an infielder, he's been around long enough. The turf is installed new every year in Toronto (IIRC), and why would nobody else have had issues with it all year long? If it was worn last night, it would've been worn for the past couple of weeks.

6fQjS3M.png

The Cubs found yet another way to lose last night. Up 2-0 going into the ninth, Carlos Marmol walks the first three batter (12 balls, 1 strike.) The next batter comes up and double to right, scoring the first two runs to tie it. Then the lead run is rounding third and slips, completely wiping out. He would be dead at home by a mile but the cut off throw flies over the catcher's head and the Cubs are down 3-2. I was there and don't really remember how, but the Marlins got three more runs that inning somehow.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

While I'll say that playing on turf is a bit annoying as an infielder, he's been around long enough. The turf is installed new every year in Toronto (IIRC), and why would nobody else have had issues with it all year long? If it was worn last night, it would've been worn for the past couple of weeks.

Yeah that's what I mean, but if there was something wrong with it you would think that the Jays would be complaining about it as well. Considering that they play 80+ games a year there. Also you'd think that other visiting teams would complain as well. I think this is just a case of the Yanks making excuses.

Archived