2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

It's always kinda weird when the crowd falls completely silent when they're in their "9th inning, one strike away from a win" cheer mode. You know how everyone stands for the final out and keeps cheering, but when the opposing batter fouls it off. They should keep it going through the whole at-bat, foul balls and all.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always kinda weird when the crowd falls completely silent when they're in their "9th inning, one strike away from a win" cheer mode. You know how everyone stands for the final out and keeps cheering, but when the opposing batter fouls it off. They should keep it going through the whole at-bat, foul balls and all.

Yeah, then the pitcher gets back on the mound and everyone starts cheering again. :blink:

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

The AL East has 3 (and 4 if you count the Jays) teams "beating up on each other, and all of them are doing pretty well this season. Let's face it, NL Central is a bunch of mediocre teams beating up on each other. Look at the Brewers for example, in second place currently and just a half game out. But their record on the road this year is 19-32. I'd hardly call that good to very good. Sure they're a good team at home but they are crap on the road. Easy sign of a mediocre team. Teams like the Mariners and Dodgers have as many or near as many road wins as them. Look at Cincinnati 3 games under but just 5 games out. Put them in the NL East and they'd be tied for last and 13.5 out of first. Put them in the NL West and they're 9.5 games out. I'm not trying to say that these teams all suck. But if I were a fan of the Phillies, Braves, or Giants I'd welcome playing them in the playoffs.

Kind of like teams "welcomed" the chance to play the light hitting Giants last year? While your numbers are correct, they are also meaningless. Anything can happen in a playoff series. Just ask the 2004 Yankees.

I know Phillies fans certaintly didn't want to play the Giants last year. I don't know a single person that took that series for granted.

Now the NLDS vs. the Reds however, that was a different story.

Weren't the Giants considered the "weakest" of the playoff teams last season? I may be remembering it wrong.

Yea some people were already saying the Atlanta/San Francisco NLDS was just a series to determine who the Phillies would beat on the way to the World Series.

Trust me - people around here wanted the Braves to win that. Maybe after Halladay's NLDS no-hitter people started getting a little carried away, but I know that the majority of people you'd hear talking and on the radio were all weary of the Giants. The Braves - not so much. However, this year is a little different.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Braves have been looking sharp lately, as they have the best pitching staff of any of the 15 NL teams. Mark them down in the World Series - they are easily the best team in the NL.

There are 16 NL teams. Unless you don't count the Astros, which would make sense. :P

25yzwqg.png

The Tigers will choke, the White Sox will continue their season-long choke, the Indians will fall apart because they aren't really that good, and the mother:censored:ing Twins will win the division again, with mediocre pitching and half their roster on the DL, only to get swept effortlessly by the Yankees again.

Only five-and-a-half ba-ack...

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Tigers will choke, the White Sox will continue their season-long choke, the Indians will fall apart because they aren't really that good, and the mother:censored:ing Twins will win the division again, with mediocre pitching and half their roster on the DL, only to get swept effortlessly by the Yankees again.

Only five-and-a-half ba-ack...

I know, but I saw it coming back in early May when the Twins had the worst record in baseball. They always go on second half runs. And until the White Sox get a manager who doesn't constantly fellate the Twins about "playing the game the right way" while creating a clubhouse atmosphere where the players are scared to death facing the Twins, even when 7/9 of their lineup are Rochester Redwings, as was the case when they were swept at Target Field a few weeks back, things won't change on the South Side.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Does Vance Worley have a shot at ROY?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Tigers acquire Wilson Betemit from Royals

Not a blockbuster deal, but it addressed a glaring hole in the lineup. Nice to have a third baseman whose batting average is higher than his weight. <_<

Praise the lord! Plus, Inge is going to AAA! I'm upset that I was at the game. Who let that David Purcey clown come in and walk three straight?

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

PHP4E279CA48AEFB.jpg500230.jpg

Stephen Drew's probably done for the year...face says it all.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I love the pure ignorance of anyone who backs the AL East and utters the phrase, "They are beating up on each other." Oh really, so the AL East plays only the AL East and no one els? Yet, when you see a team in another division play well against the opponents of their own division, that division is deemed "weak" by all the AL East backers.

I love the pure ignorance of anyone who backs the AL East and utters the phrase, "They are beating up on each other." Oh really, so the AL East plays only the AL East and no one els? Yet, when you see a team in another division play well against the opponents of their own division, that division is deemed "weak" by all the AL East backers.

Agreed. Not to mention all those idiots who insist on calling the team with the most losses in their history a good team. No they're not!

LvZYtbZ.png

Agreed. Not to mention all those idiots who insist on calling the team with the most losses in their history a good team. No they're not!

I was expecting a response to BBTV explaining why Worley shouldn't even be considered for Rookie of the Year because he's on the Phillies. This is just as ridiculous though.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Do you honestly expect any better from the majority of Red Sox and Yankees "fans"? At least Rays, Jays, and Orioles fans have perspective (mainly because ESPN doesn't obsess over every aspect of our teams). Seriously, thanks to freaking ESPN and the lack of a salary cap, the majority of the Red Sox and Yankees' fans (and somewhat even their organizations) feel entitled to the playoffs and a trip to the World Series every year. That's why they look down their noses at fans of other teams.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

What makes the whole "Division X beats up on each other" argument silly is that every division goes exactly .500 against itself. The AL East is a very tough division (in the sense that it has more good teams that are good to very good) evidenced by 4 of the 5 teams having .500 or better records.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Isn't the "eyeball" test enough to determine if a division is strong or weak? Or look at the records vs the top teams in other divisions?

I'll admit that I don't really follow the sport as much as I follow my local team, but as a casual observer, it seems like with the exception of the Giants, Phillies, and Braves, the entire NL is relatively weak. The Central is strong in that there are three good teams duking it out (the West seems to be the Giants and a bunch of crap, the East is the Phillies and Braves and crap) but those three teams aren't going to be a factor in October (just my opinion as of July 21.)

How does one define a "strong" division? I'd say that the 1-4 in the Central are overall better than the 1-4 in the East and West, but the 1 in the central isn't even in the same conversation as the 1 from the East and West, and the 1-2 isn't in the same conversation as the 1-2 in the East.

Is it fair to say that it's the most competitive division but still not strong?

Archived