2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A-Rod apparently is going to be back from his injury way ahead of schedule, this happened with him a few years ago as well. Makes you wonder when guys like A-Rod and Pujols come back so fast from injuries.

And why it takes guys like Mauer and Morneau double the time it should take for them to come back from injuries...

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

A-Rod apparently is going to be back from his injury way ahead of schedule, this happened with him a few years ago as well. Makes you wonder when guys like A-Rod and Pujols come back so fast from injuries.

What is Steroids Alex

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I got back from my road trip this morning, and thought I'd share the goings-on I was a part of when I went to a couple of ballgames this week.

I wanted an authentic Wrigley Field experience, and I pretty much got it. Day game at Wrigley, eating at the Cubby Bear beforehand, and a game full of Cubs tomfoolery. We went to the Phillies/Cubs game last Wednesday afternoon, and the shenanigans happened almost immediately. Second batter for the Phillies (Martinez?) hit a popfly in the vicinity of second base, and Starlin Castro promptly lets the ball fall for a hit. Cubs fell way behind early, Carlos Pena committed two errors on one play, and the home team was being no-hit until the 5th inning. I was wanting the Cubs to beat the Phillies, but if you're not a fan of either team when you go to Wrigley Field, you pretty much want to see the Cubs be the "Lovable Losers" we've come to know and love. You go to see bumbling play and the Cubs get blown out. I think the most-telling sign of the Cubs' efforts in the game came when the Cubs infielders were doing the normal before-play practice of the first baseman tossing groundballs to the rest of the fielders...and Castro and Aramis Ramirez were a couple feet away from each other towards third base when Pena rolled the ball their way. Either Castro and Ramirez were deep in discussion, or both thought the other one was gonna get it, because they just looked at each other as the ball rolled between them and into foul territory. The fans are kinda wimpy, at least when it comes to dealing with the heat. What their weather forecasters called "oppressive heat" is just another summer day in Atlanta.

We also went to the Braves/Reds game on Sunday night, and had a great time there as well. A lot more Braves fans in attendance than I was expecting, and the game was a well-contended one. I probably would have had a better time if I didn't have to worry about driving 7 hours to go home after the game. I like their game experience, though the desgin of their seating area leaves a little to be desired. The upper levels of their left-field seats look like it was put together at the last minute and caused the ballpark to look like it had a large crack in the stadium.

I was actually at that Cubs game last Wednesday. I'm pretty sure it was the hottest day of the summer this year by far. I wasn't dying or anything, but I was sweating my balls off the first 3 or 4 innings. In addition to the Cubs antics you described, there was a time when Soto got hit in the head by a water bottle (couldn't tell if it was thrown by someone in the row or two in front of me or the dugout) and started going off on somebody. Good to know you had a fun experience at Wrigley, though.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Well this is kind of funny. ESPN decided to pick up tonight's PIT-ATL game a few days ago (they were going to air NYM-CIN, but wanted PIT to get some national airtime for once due to their finally being good). So what happens? Longass rain delay in ATL, and they've been showing the NYM-CIN game instead. Some teams just can't catch a break.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I got back from my road trip this morning, and thought I'd share the goings-on I was a part of when I went to a couple of ballgames this week.

I wanted an authentic Wrigley Field experience, and I pretty much got it. Day game at Wrigley, eating at the Cubby Bear beforehand, and a game full of Cubs tomfoolery. We went to the Phillies/Cubs game last Wednesday afternoon, and the shenanigans happened almost immediately. Second batter for the Phillies (Martinez?) hit a popfly in the vicinity of second base, and Starlin Castro promptly lets the ball fall for a hit. Cubs fell way behind early, Carlos Pena committed two errors on one play, and the home team was being no-hit until the 5th inning. I was wanting the Cubs to beat the Phillies, but if you're not a fan of either team when you go to Wrigley Field, you pretty much want to see the Cubs be the "Lovable Losers" we've come to know and love. You go to see bumbling play and the Cubs get blown out. I think the most-telling sign of the Cubs' efforts in the game came when the Cubs infielders were doing the normal before-play practice of the first baseman tossing groundballs to the rest of the fielders...and Castro and Aramis Ramirez were a couple feet away from each other towards third base when Pena rolled the ball their way. Either Castro and Ramirez were deep in discussion, or both thought the other one was gonna get it, because they just looked at each other as the ball rolled between them and into foul territory. The fans are kinda wimpy, at least when it comes to dealing with the heat. What their weather forecasters called "oppressive heat" is just another summer day in Atlanta.

Isn't Atlanta the city that got shut down due to like 2 inches of snow? tongue.gif

But yeah, thats a pretty typical day at Wrigley. Pretty fun though

Also, Cleveland rookie Jason Kipnis hits a walk-off single today, his first career hit. He's an alum of my (now former) high school. Really nice guy, too. Just felt like sharing

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

16 and counting for the Mariners.

Just did some research about the longest losing streak in Baseball. 26 by the Louisville Colonels and 24 by the Cleveland Spiders if you include AL and NL.

Don't the Royals have the Modern Day record with like 19 or something?

I sure the hell hope they win tomorrow night.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

rjbison.jpg

For Philadelphians, the day the Giants returned to grace their village was the most important day in their lives, but for SF...it was Tuesday.

What the heck does this mean?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

rjbison.jpg

For Philadelphians, the day the Giants returned to grace their village was the most important day in their lives, but for SF...it was Tuesday.

It's what he does. Just go with it.

Also, you changed avatars? You've had the video game boxer guy for as long as I can remember. Is nothing sacred around here?

BB52Big.jpg

rjbison.jpg

Also, you changed avatars? You've had the video game boxer guy for as long as I can remember. Is nothing sacred around here?

Well, he still has the same slogan...

I saw, I came, I left.

rjbison.jpg

It's not the same. In fact, it doesn't make sense now. I say we start a petition to bring back bring back's original avatar. Some things simply can't be messed with. In a world filled with chaos and confusion, we need a little consistency.

BB52Big.jpg

rjbison.jpg

It's not the same. In fact, it doesn't make sense now. I say we start a petition to bring back bring back's original avatar. Some things simply can't be messed with. In a world filled with chaos and confusion, we need a little consistency.

I had thought he was always "35 - 0, 29 KO"

I saw, I came, I left.

Also, Cleveland rookie Jason Kipnis hits a walk-off single today, his first career hit. He's an alum of my (now former) high school. Really nice guy, too. Just felt like sharing

That's pretty awesome. But yeah, this team keeps managing to stay in this. They have the 5th-worst record in baseball after starting 30-15 and yet they're still only 1.5 back. The AL Central sucks.

And vmd9, please just shut the :censored: up and stop making the rest of us look bad. We're not supporting the Indians like we should be. There's no excuses, and you can't turn around and point to the 455 number as the catch-all. You just can't.

6fQjS3M.png

I had thought he was always "35 - 0, 29 KO"

I meant it's not the same without the accompanying avatar. As in (some TV show) just isn't the same without (some actor who left) not that it's not the same because it's a different slogan.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived