2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

You can't say any moves. No, they shouldn't sacrifice key prospects for what's honestly a pretty quixotic pennant chase, but there might be small moves they can make. Past the waiver deadline, you can always make a savvy, low-risk addition if you know where to look. You can also sign Alex Rios. But I wouldn't shut the door altogether on the Pirates buying.

My point was that any deadline trade the Pirates are in a position to make isn't going to be enough to put them into serious World Series contention. As you stated earlier, anything can happen in the playoffs. Should the Pirates actually get there, they have a puncher's chance. There just isn't any deadline deal that they can make that will make enough of a difference to make it worth giving up good prospects. By that I mean that they aren't in a position to out deal the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, et al. The Pirates gain nothing by making a deadline deal if it means giving up part of their future. My guess is if the Pirates are buyers at the deadline, they'll be buying from the bargain bin.

Look the Pirates are 1 game out of first after 98 games. All they have to do is make the playoffs and they have a chance. A team that makes a bunch of changes at the trade deadline isn't going to win anyway, but one or two key moves and you'd be shocked at what that can do. I mean what if they pick up Hideki Kuroda and Rafael Furcal from the Dodgers and let's say Heath Bell or even Ubaldo Jimenez from Colorado, you're not saying that wouldn't make them better?

If Pittsburgh can get Furcal and Jimenez, I can't see why you don't give up a few suspects for a free agent to be in Furcal and a couple prospects for a 27 year old pitcher who's under contract through 2014? Both those moves make the team better and with Jimenez signed through 2014 there's a future improvement also.

Of course grabbing those players would make them better. But we both know there's very little chance they'll get any one of those players, let alone all three. The Pirates are a.) not in a position to outbid the "big teams" to get any of those players, and b.) they are not willing to trade away their future for one season of moderate success.

Look at tonight's game. This is the real Kevin Correia, not 11-win All-Star Kevin Correia. They scare absolutely no one, especially not legit contenders.

So you're basing your assessment on one bad game? Correia "lucked" his way to 11 wins? And after all that, he's finally been exposed as the player he really is? Doesn't that type of logic run in direct contrast to "statistical metrics?"

Look, no one is saying that the Pirates are a legitimate threat to win the World Series. All I'm saying is that to write off 98 games of .520 baseball as pure luck is just silly. Unless I'm completely misreading what you're trying to say, that seems to be exactly what you're doing here. Teams get "lucky" for a week or maybe a 10-12 game stretch. Luck isn't capable of .520 baseball for 100 games.

EDIT: I confused Correia's ERA with Karstens'.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like Boston has dropped out of the Beltran sweepstakes. It is also very unlikely that Atlanta will give up what the Mets want to get him. This leaves it down to Texas, Philly, and maybe San Fran. My gut feeling tells me Beltran will be playing in Arlington this October.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

I watched the Pirates-Cardinals game two nights ago, and I could tell that there is no chance they can beat out the Brewers/Reds/Cardinals for the division. They just looked outmatched to me. They're a good little team, but not playoff material. Making any moves would just be stupid.

Ding ding ding. I don't "hate" anything about stats/results. I'm just saying more likely than not the Pirates are going to be exposed and this feel-good story is going to disappear.

Look at tonight's game. This is the real Kevin Correia, not 11-win All-Star Kevin Correia. They scare absolutely no one, especially not legit contenders.

People forget that the Pirates were terrible until they hit that winning streak. The same winning streak that saw them play what seemed like 30 games against the Cubs and Astros. When they play real teams they get smoked! Ask the Cardinals and Indians how tough it was to beat the pirates...

I watched the Pirates-Cardinals game two nights ago, and I could tell that there is no chance they can beat out the Brewers/Reds/Cardinals for the division. They just looked outmatched to me. They're a good little team, but not playoff material. Making any moves would just be stupid.

Ding ding ding. I don't "hate" anything about stats/results. I'm just saying more likely than not the Pirates are going to be exposed and this feel-good story is going to disappear.

People forget that the Pirates were terrible until they hit that winning streak. The same winning streak that saw them play what seemed like 30 games against the Cubs and Astros. When they play real teams they get smoked! Ask the Cardinals and Indians how tough it was to beat the pirates...

Frankly, I'm not getting this Pirates bashing. Where has anyone said the Pirates are some sort of juggernaut? All people have been saying is it's fun to see them winning. You guys are acting like we are claiming the Pirates are a lock for the NL pennant and we're too blind to see it any other way. Yeah, we get that they're not a great team. Hell, they're barely a good team. To bash them takes all the effort and character it takes to kick puppies and kittens.

"The Pirates aren't legitimate...blah blah blah." What's next guys, Thursday follows Wednesday? :rolleyes:

BB52Big.jpg

Furthermore, the Indians are hardly "legitimate" themselves. Look at how quickly they faded after that hot start to the year. Hell, they've now handed Detroit a several-game lead in the second half of the year! Usually it's Detroit doing that around this time of year.

I don't think they handed that to Detroit. Great hitting and the rotation showing life has been a huge part of it.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Frankly, I'm not getting this Pirates bashing. Where has anyone said the Pirates are some sort of juggernaut? All people have been saying is it's fun to see them winning. You guys are acting like we are claiming the Pirates are a lock for the NL pennant and we're too blind to see it any other way. Yeah, we get that they're not a great team. Hell, they're barely a good team. To bash them takes all the effort and character it takes to kick puppies and kittens.

"The Pirates aren't legitimate...blah blah blah." What's next guys, Thursday follows Wednesday? :rolleyes:

Pittsburgh fans have always been bandwaggoners. When their teams lose they disappear and when they win they are in your face bragging every chance they get. It's obnoxious and it's sad the way they act makes the entire city look bad. This is why I hate the pirates, and every other team from that city.

Drew Stubbs with the walk off winner to beat Atlanta tonight. This is the first time since June 15 and 16 that the Reds have won back to back games. That's ridiculous and they should be out of the race at this point, but there they are, 3 games back. If they were in the east, the season would be over for Reds fans, but it's not crazy to think they could get back in this. Thanks, NL central.

Pittsburgh fans have always been bandwaggoners. When their teams lose they disappear and when they win they are in your face bragging every chance they get. It's obnoxious and it's sad the way they act makes the entire city look bad. This is why I hate the pirates, and every other team from that city.

Yeah, cause the Indians didn't finish dead last in attendance last year or anything.

I know a few Pirates fans and they're not in my face bragging. They're like everyone else saying "can you believe this? I can't believe this? I'm going to enjoy this for as long as it lasts".

and this is a post coming from the biggest Pittsburgh hater on the boards. Every Pirates fan I know has been perfectly reasonable and behaved exactly as they should. Plus, can you blame them for not supporting that ownership group when the team wasn't winning? I can't.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Cubs beat the Astros in extras today for to go on a 3 game win streak. I'm not sure if it's worse that it took this long to win 3 in a row or that it came against the Astros.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Oh please. Like the exact same thing didn't happen with the Indians in 1994? Then the minute the team wasn't a contender, Progressive Field emptied out like it was on fire or something. Hell, the Indians are in the hunt in July and they're still drawing like :censored:. The Indians drew all of 20,252 fans today. Where's all that "we're Cleveland fans, we support our teams no matter what, that's why we're more legitimate than Pittsburgh fans...blah blah blah" this season? Hypocrite. And people wonder why I've walked away from the teams I grew up rooting for. Cleveland fans are all but insufferable.

BB52Big.jpg

The Cubs beat the Astros in extras today for to go on a 3 game win streak. I'm not sure if it's worse that it took this long to win 3 in a row or that it came against the Astros.

Meaningless series sweep. The Cubs simply beat up on the one team in the NL who's actually worse than them. Blah. Just end the season.

6uXNWAo.png

2011 Pittsburgh Pirates = 2002 Kansas City Royals? (I think it was '02, anyway.)

Could it be? We'll just have to wait and see...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2011 Pittsburgh Pirates = 2002 Kansas City Royals? (I think it was '02, anyway.)

Could it be? We'll just have to wait and see...

Just checked out of curiosity. It was 2003. 83-79, 7GB, anyways I think out of that entire roster only Carlos Beltran is still playing.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived