2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Yea but the thing about the Pirates is that they haven't been even much of a tease since 1992. They have been really bad and they have expected to be really bad. The Pittsburgh fans have not had to endure gut-wrenching playoff races that came down to the final day and the Pirates didn't get in. By this time any chance of a playoff spot is long gone. So I say embrace this competitive baseball Pirates fans. Don't worry about if they fall flat in September or lose on the last day. At least you guys have something to cheer for. I couldn't be happier for the Pittsburgh team. I hope they do well.....until they play the Braves ;)

They've had a damn good football team (one that's been competitive for around 80% of the last 40+ years) and a damn good hockey team recently. They've had something to cheer for.

/anti-Pittsburgh mini-rant. <_<

Yeah I agree 100 percent. It's not like Pittsburgh is a city of losers and gets an occasional winning/decent team in one sport. Basically we're trying to make it sound like these fans have had nothing to cheer about for 18 years. When in that time they've got to see 4 Super Bowl appearances, 2 Super Bowl wins, 2 Stanley Cup appearances, and a Stanley Cup win. There's a reason Pittsburgh is known as the "City of Champions".

Being a Pirates fan does not automatically make one a Steelers or a hockey fan.

I understand that, but you could say that it's very likely that most of them are.

So, according to you guys, someone like myself, for example, who hasn't seen anything better than mediocre baseball in his lifetime isn't allowed to enjoy this because of the recent success of the football and hockey teams? Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Let us have our moment, please.

That's not what I said at least. Epper said "at least you guys have something to cheer for." I took "you guys" to be Pittsburgh fans (because let's face it, there aren't many strictly Pirates fans, we both know that), and you've had something to cheer for over the past 18 years. All things considered, I'm happy for guys like you, maz. It's just that you've had something to cheer for. That's the point of the argument I wanted to rebuff.

Here's to hoping to a Cleveland/Pittsburgh World Series. ;)

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely. What is there to dislike about the team? If you just hate the city of Pittsburgh....good luck with that. Regardless, Andrew McCutcheon is probably my favorite baseball player, at least this season. Pure swag

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

If you're not rooting for the Pittsburgh Pirates this summer, there's a good chance you don't like baseball.

Or you cheer for one of their division foes.

I might change my tune if I knew a Pittsburgh win of the NL Central would precipitate an ouster of Tony La Russa.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If you're not rooting for the Pittsburgh Pirates this summer, there's a good chance you don't like baseball.

My incredible dislike for the Steelers and Penguins makes it very difficult to root for any team in Pittsburgh. That said I would like to see them do well and contend for a playoff spot. Which is very possible considering how mediocre the NL Central has been this year. I still think at one point the Cardinals are going to get hot and win like 9 out of 10 and probably pass the Pirates. They (Pirates) just need to avoid having a long losing streak of 5+ games. If they do that they will give people in Pittsburgh something to watch until September when the Steelers start.

I'm sick of this NL Central is mediocre :censored:. The records aren't the best because you have 4 pretty good to very good teams beating up on each other. Even the Cubs are decent when they want to be.

The Astros however, just suck.

I'm sick of this NL Central is mediocre :censored:. The records aren't the best because you have 4 pretty good to very good teams beating up on each other. Even the Cubs are decent when they want to be.

The Astros however, just suck.

The AL East has 3 (and 4 if you count the Jays) teams "beating up on each other, and all of them are doing pretty well this season. Let's face it, NL Central is a bunch of mediocre teams beating up on each other. Look at the Brewers for example, in second place currently and just a half game out. But their record on the road this year is 19-32. I'd hardly call that good to very good. Sure they're a good team at home but they are crap on the road. Easy sign of a mediocre team. Teams like the Mariners and Dodgers have as many or near as many road wins as them. Look at Cincinnati 3 games under but just 5 games out. Put them in the NL East and they'd be tied for last and 13.5 out of first. Put them in the NL West and they're 9.5 games out. I'm not trying to say that these teams all suck. But if I were a fan of the Phillies, Braves, or Giants I'd welcome playing them in the playoffs.

The AL East has 3 (and 4 if you count the Jays) teams "beating up on each other, and all of them are doing pretty well this season. Let's face it, NL Central is a bunch of mediocre teams beating up on each other. Look at the Brewers for example, in second place currently and just a half game out. But their record on the road this year is 19-32. I'd hardly call that good to very good. Sure they're a good team at home but they are crap on the road. Easy sign of a mediocre team. Teams like the Mariners and Dodgers have as many or near as many road wins as them. Look at Cincinnati 3 games under but just 5 games out. Put them in the NL East and they'd be tied for last and 13.5 out of first. Put them in the NL West and they're 9.5 games out. I'm not trying to say that these teams all suck. But if I were a fan of the Phillies, Braves, or Giants I'd welcome playing them in the playoffs.

Kind of like teams "welcomed" the chance to play the light hitting Giants last year? While your numbers are correct, they are also meaningless. Anything can happen in a playoff series. Just ask the 2004 Yankees.

BB52Big.jpg

Kind of like teams "welcomed" the chance to play the light hitting Giants last year? While your numbers are correct, they are also meaningless. Anything can happen in a playoff series. Just ask the 2004 Yankees.

I know Phillies fans certaintly didn't want to play the Giants last year. I don't know a single person that took that series for granted.

Now the NLDS vs. the Reds however, that was a different story.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well yeah, young team with no playoff experience save a couple of players. I was hoping, but not expecting to beat the Phillies. Fact is, you aren't giving the teams the credit they deserve. Its a little different when we can't buy our wins with sometimes overpriced free agents. Damn East Coast hipster bastards :P

I know Phillies fans certaintly didn't want to play the Giants last year. I don't know a single person that took that series for granted.

Weren't the Giants considered the "weakest" of the playoff teams last season? I may be remembering it wrong.

BB52Big.jpg

Weren't the Giants considered the "weakest" of the playoff teams last season? I may be remembering it wrong.

If so, not around here. I think that everyone knew that they were the only team who could match the Phillies starting pitching in a 7 game series and shut down their offense. I know that was the one team that nobody here wanted to see them play... going back to even before the playoffs started.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Uh oh, the Tigers still in first! Will they choke?

Yes. The Tigers will choke, the White Sox will continue their season-long choke, the Indians will fall apart because they aren't really that good, and the mother:censored:ing Twins will win the division again, with mediocre pitching and half their roster on the DL, only to get swept effortlessly by the Yankees again. I have seen this movie before. I'm not a fan.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yes. The Tigers will choke, the White Sox will continue their season-long choke, the Indians will fall apart because they aren't really that good, and the mother:censored:ing Twins will win the division again, with mediocre pitching and half their roster on the DL, only to get swept effortlessly by the Yankees again. I have seen this movie before. I'm not a fan.

I'm not so sold on the Twins yet like everyone else is. The Tigers have complete dominance over them this year. I should be a fight to the finish.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

The Twins pitching is actually what has kept them in the race so far. They arguably have the best five man rotation in the division. Sure, the Tigers have Verlander and Scherzer, but I'd take the Twins rotation over the Tigers rotation any day in the regular season. But with the disappointing hitting the Twins have had lately, I find it hard to believe they will stick around for too long. As Mauer heats up, the rest of the lineup has cooled dramatically. I think the Tigers will choke and still win the division.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

The Twins pitching is actually what has kept them in the race so far. They arguably have the best five man rotation in the division. Sure, the Tigers have Verlander and Scherzer, but I'd take the Twins rotation over the Tigers rotation any day in the regular season. But with the disappointing hitting the Twins have had lately, I find it hard to believe they will stick around for too long. As Mauer heats up, the rest of the lineup has cooled dramatically. I think the Tigers will choke and still win the division.

Don't bring Scherzer into this, ALL we have is Verlander. We have one of the worst rotations in baseball. Today, we have Duane Below pitching. See what I mean? The only reason we're here is our sluggers. With one or two more solid starting pitchers, the Tigers are a lock for the playoffs.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Yea some people were already saying the Atlanta/San Francisco NLDS was just a series to determine who the Phillies would beat on the way to the World Series.

Archived