2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Is Philip Rivers manning the San Diego offense tonight?

Seriously, the Barry Zito the Giants have come to know reared it's ugly head tonight, and the Giants are down 8-1 after 4 to the Padres.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can a non-Tigers fan please give me a reason they won't choke again before I lose my mind into a coma?

Because the AL Central as a collective whole has a run differential of -31 and is 16 games under .500

Thank you, I'm almost secure. Also, the tigers being 18-10 against the Central helped a little. :D

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

CC has been a tank this year, and the Yanks need to do anything they can to resign him. If Colon falls off he really is going to be their only reliable starter down the stretch. Which scares me come playoff time. Hopefully they can acquire a decent starter at the deadline.

HOLY :censored: the Pirates are in first place. :jawdrop:

Not anymore.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not anymore.

They suck. It's easy to pretend they are good when they are playing a tough team like the Astro's...woo 30 games under .500 is pretty solid. I'd brag too..

The Rockies are telling interested teams that the price will be high, and that if Colorado deals him, the extraction of prospects needed in return will be painful. One evaluator's current odds of Jimenez being traded: 25 percent. "It has to be something that makes sense for the Rockies [right now]," said the evaluator.

The Rockies are targeting players who could help in the big leagues right now, or in the very near future.

The "other" less-famous Michael Martinez just hit his 1st career home run against the Mets today, and apparently some officials were in the stands afterward talking to the person who caught it - presumably trying to get the ball back for Martinez. It'll be funny if someone gets more for some rule-5 guy who won't even be in the majors next year's home run than that Lopez guy got for HOFer Jeter's.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Rockies are telling interested teams that the price will be high, and that if Colorado deals him, the extraction of prospects needed in return will be painful. One evaluator's current odds of Jimenez being traded: 25 percent. "It has to be something that makes sense for the Rockies [right now]," said the evaluator.

The Rockies are targeting players who could help in the big leagues right now, or in the very near future.

As much as I don't want it to happen, the Reds could be a very intriguing trade partner for Jimenez. The Reds have a handful of young pitchers (Bailey, Wood, Leake) and players that could help the Rockies right now (Juan Francisco, Zack Cozart, catchers Devin Mesoraco/Yasmani Grandal, and Yonder Alonso, who could play LF, then take over for Helton when he retires). I hope, for the Reds' sake, they keep the farm intact.

The NL Central has been mediocre for years, so this doesn't exactly come to a huge surprise to me.

That being said, first place or not, the Pirates will still find a way to be "sellers" at the trade deadline.

6uXNWAo.png

I'm only posting to share my new avatar with BBTV

You'll always be the original.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

First place or not, the Pirates will still find a way to be "sellers" at the trade deadline.

Nah, I don't see it. I think they stand pat; (they certainly won't be buyers) as they should. As all teams should for that matter. How many of these deadline deals really ever pay off? The price is usually too high for the return you get. I'm sure a lot of deadline deals have helped some but I can't really think of too many that made "all the difference." There are however, quite a few of these trades that, at best, changed nothing, and at worst, took a good team right out of contention. Wasn't it Bill Parcells who said "there's no such thing as being one player away?"

I believe that if your team is in serious contention, you should leave it alone. There's no need to upset the chemistry of a winning ball club; especially if you're giving up prospects. Adding a bat or an arm means that someone who helped get your team in contention has to go. With all due respect to BBTV's idea that it doesn't matter, messing with a winning chemistry is just asking for trouble. Management knows the difference between a real contender and a shot at getting smoked in the playoffs; if that.

Just my opinion.

BB52Big.jpg

First place or not, the Pirates will still find a way to be "sellers" at the trade deadline.

Nah, I don't see it. I think they stand pat; (they certainly won't be buyers) as they should. As all teams should for that matter. How many of these deadline deals really ever pay off? The price is usually too high for the return you get. I'm sure a lot of deadline deals have helped some but I can't really think of too many that made "all the difference." There are however, quite a few of these trades that, at best, changed nothing, and at worst, took a good team right out of contention. Wasn't it Bill Parcells who said "there's no such thing as being one player away?"

I believe that if your team is in serious contention, you should leave it alone. There's no need to upset the chemistry of a winning ball club; especially if you're giving up prospects. Adding a bat or an arm means that someone who helped get your team in contention has to go. With all due respect to BBTV's idea that it doesn't matter, messing with a winning chemistry is just asking for trouble. Management knows the difference between a real contender and a shot at getting smoked in the playoffs; if that.

Just my opinion.

It matters if you bring in a superstar who creates distractions, or a clubhouse cancer, or a guy who doesn't want to accept his new role, etc. My point wasn't that chemistry wasn't important, it that the "on field" gelling is overrated. What goes on in the clubhouse is very important.

Bobby Abreu for example. He and a still-living Corey Lidle get dealt for nothing, and the team gets better, because his ora of nonchalance and negativity is gone, and other players who's voices would normally get squalched were given the chance to step up and be leaders. What happened to Abreu that year? How many WS did he win on awesome teams?

Last year, the Phillies were in "serious" contention, and brought in Roy Oswalt. Worked out pretty well for them. This year it could be a rigt handed bat to play outfield or another reliever. It won't be someone who is anything other than so ecstatic to have this chance that he won't f ck it up by being a dick.

It matters if you bring in a superstar who creates distractions, or a clubhouse cancer, or a guy who doesn't want to accept his new role, etc. My point wasn't that chemistry wasn't important, it that the "on field" gelling is overrated. What goes on in the clubhouse is very important.

Bobby Abreu for example. He and a still-living Corey Lidle get dealt for nothing, and the team gets better, because his ora of nonchalance and negativity is gone, and other players who's voices would normally get squalched were given the chance to step up and be leaders. What happened to Abreu that year? How many WS did he win on awesome teams?

Last year, the Phillies were in "serious" contention, and brought in Roy Oswalt. Worked out pretty well for them. This year it could be a rigt handed bat to play outfield or another reliever. It won't be someone who is anything other than so ecstatic to have this chance that he won't f ck it up by being a dick.

Chemistry most definitely carries over to the field and "gelling on the field" is actually more important than you might believe. Then again, our ideas of what "gelling" means may be entirely different.

The Oswalt deal worked out so well that they didn't go as far in the playoffs as they did the year before. My point being that the Phillies most likely could have done that without Roy Oswalt. It might be smart to ask that new player if he's "ecstatic" about being traded to the Phillies to get a chance because in my experience, someone who is a dick doesn't stop being a dick due to a change of scenery. Not to mention that some guys don't want to get traded. Just ask Cliff Lee.

The Phillies have the best record in baseball. How does adding a bat improve on that? They have won 59 of the 94 games they've played without that RH bat to play outfield or another reliever. They're playing .628 baseball right now. I don't see much room for improvement.

Then again, what do I know? B)

BB52Big.jpg

Chemistry most definitely carries over to the field and "gelling on the field" is actually more important than you might believe. Then again, our ideas of what "gelling" means may be entirely different.

The Oswalt deal worked out so well that they didn't go as far in the playoffs as they did the year before. My point being that the Phillies most likely could have done that without Roy Oswalt. It might be smart to ask that new player if he's "ecstatic" about being traded to the Phillies to get a chance because in my experience, someone who is a dick doesn't stop being a dick due to a change of scenery. Not to mention that some guys don't want to get traded. Just ask Cliff Lee.

The Phillies have the best record in baseball. How does adding a bat improve on that? They have won 59 of the 94 games they've played without that RH bat to play outfield or another reliever. They're playing .628 baseball right now. I don't see much room for improvement.

Then again, what do I know? B)

They may not win the division last year without the Oswalt trade. They didn't go as far, but they wouldn't have even gotten there without that trade. They were not in first place for a lot of last season - 7 games back in June I think.

The trade gives everyone else a shot in the arm and rsgardless of the actual new player's performance, it can boost everyone's play.

They have the best record, but it's harder in the playoffs because you're playing a good team every game as opposed to beating on the weaker teams. Ask the Mariners how much a regular season record really means. Good teams will expose your weaknesses, so if you've spent this much and worked this hard, why not protect that investment and plug a hole?

Polanco might not be worth anything the rest of the year, Domonic Brown just isn't ready, John Mayberry is simply not a major league player, and who knows if the injured pitchers can come back and contribute or not.

You don't do something for the sake of doing it, if the right guy is out there then dammit go get him.

Archived