Notre Dame goes after a private Catholic high school.

nmsuaggie

Here in El Paso we have our oldest private Catholic boys high school celebrating their 85th anniversary this year and this is not a good way to kick off celebration. Cathedral High School is known as the Fighting Irish and they use the Notre Dame leprechaun all over campus. I figured you guys might enjoy talking about this. Is this trademark protection or Notre Dame bullying another Catholic school? Here is the link to the story. Enjoy!

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_17543105?source=most_viewed&_requestid=4347529

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"To allow others to use our trademarks as their own could weaken the University's rights to its own marks to the point where its legitimate property interests could be at risk," Brown said in the statement.

That's kind of funny coming from Notre Dame. They did "borrow" the interlocking ND from North Dakota, afterall. Now everyone associates it with Notre Dame, and North Dakota actually modified their own a couple of years ago.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

They did this a couple years ago with our Cathedral High School in Indianapolis. Not sure what the end result of it all was, though...

Can't really blame them. They own the trademark. If they don't defend it, they lose it. So it's in their interest to pursue litigation against anyone dumb enough to try and copy it.

They did this a couple years ago with our Cathedral High School in Indianapolis. Not sure what the end result of it all was, though...

Can't really blame them. They own the trademark. If they don't defend it, they lose it. So it's in their interest to pursue litigation against anyone dumb enough to try and copy it.

Exactly. I wish more colleges would do this - it's a double negative in my eyes. As a school, it's much better to have your own logo and it's also much better to not have to steal someone else's.

6fQjS3M.png

True enough. Theft is theft.

The headline is backwards - it should read: "private Catholic high school steals Notre Dame's intellectual property."

... They stole "Touchdown Jesus?" blasphemy!

I saw, I came, I left.

True enough. Theft is theft.

The headline is backwards - it should read: "private Catholic high school steals Notre Dame's intellectual property."

... They stole "Touchdown Jesus?" blasphemy!

There is nothing "intellectual" about Touchdown Jesus. In fact, I think that more falls into the "blasphemy" cetegory.

Seems like Notre Dame is going after privates all the time! Hey-hey! Happy Ash Wednesday, everybody!

What a surprise that a "douche-y" school is going after the little guy.

You;d think the Jesuits would know that money is the root of all evil

hmmmm

what I don't get is how they choose which school to go after...I mean..there's 'Notre Dame' high schools all over the country and there's a lot of 'fighting irish' nicknames out there too

my parents live in Peoria, IL and they have a 'Notre Dame' high school with nickname 'Fighting Irish'...don't know what logo or colors they use though

...and off the top of my head Quincy, IL has a Notre Dame high too...they are the 'Raiders' though but they do use the Notre Dame 'inspired' logos:

Scoreboard.jpg

QNDsports.png

that's just a couple schools off the top my head in Illinois...no telling what number of schools all over the country are doing this

here's one that pops up in the top page of a Google search for 'notre dame high school'...Notre Dame High (Belmont, CA)

top_r1_c1.jpg

^

and they even sell merchandise online

I say either bust em all or leave em all alone...

and to go even further I'm pretty sure there's some small colleges out there somewhere who use the logo

randomly busting a school here and there seems kinda pointless to me

Archived