Toronto Blue Jays Concept

vazquez

Hello all graphic designers and members, I have been an avid fan for a couple of months, just tending to stay back and read and follow some tutorials, and finally decided to start my account. I have come up with a new Toronto Blue Jays rebrand in a sense, due to the fact, I have loved the Classic Logo for an immense amount of time, so I spent all day(and night) working on my first concept, playing with the software, and learning alot along the way, but thats beyond the point.

My Concept is essentially a modern redo of the classic logo, which is this,

blue-jays.gif

While also keeping an eye on the future, so after a bit of sketching, and research, my concept came as follows....

toronto_blue_jays_concept_by_vazquezgraphics-d3azh86.png

C&C Would be much appreciated, thanks!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great concept, but a couple of things can really make it almost perfect!!

First, try to make the baseball a full circle, right now it is a little elongated at the top right.

Second, I would really try to work on the maple leaf a little more. Make it fit into the bird or something. Right now, it looks out of place with a smooth, curved out new bird.

Third, I would work on the cheek a little more. It looks like a rooster thing or something.

But overall this is really good. I can't wait to see what happens with revisions!

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Awesome design

Just as Defrank said about the baseball at the top. Omit the red straight line across, curve it so it's symmetrical with the rest of the ball.

Second, eliminate the new mean-looking oval eyeball and just put it a little glare square inside the eye like the older logo is.

Other than that the new logo would be a awesome modern version of the old one! :)

Cool! I'd personally taper the lower portion of the beak to be a bit shorter and then sharpen it all to make it more aggressive.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Upgrade over the classic or not, this is solid work for your first concept. I commend you on studying the tutorials and working until you had something solid and presentable. Some suggestions for you:

1. Separate the feather at the top of the head further from the maple leaf. Either tweak the bird or, most likely, make the leaf smaller. The conflicting line widths in that area are kinda bugging me - a little distracting.

2. Again on line widths (this is personal preference), widen the white outline around the bird so it's even with the baseball. It'll make the secondary logo sharper, too. He'll stand out more.

3. Work on the eye. Even the older logo has a splash of white in the eye. It always helps give it some personality. In this case, give him a pupil or something. He looks like a zombie. I used to use the "white eye" or "zombie eye" technique a lot, but once I got the hang of more detailed eyes, I much prefer them.

I hope we see more of your work, because this has promise.

I actually like the eye as-is. The leaf needs to be sharpened, and the others have pointed out the flaws with the baseball.

There are a few things with the wordmark.

1. The tail extending from the S is just not working. Lose it. Not sure what to fill in the space with, but maybe make the LUE JAY letters lower, so the space is on the top, and put a small "TORONTO" in there.

2. It's hard to judge without the context of the uniforms. For example, the "thing" with the classic uniforms was the awesome split number font, and how the wordmark matched. This wordmark would clash with that font (I think), so I'd have to see how you handled the numbers to fairly critique what you did here.

3. Conceptually, splitting the letters horizontally like that and using the lighter blue on top to mimic the bird head was a pretty good idea. Nice job there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Upgrade over the classic or not, this is solid work for your first concept. I commend you on studying the tutorials and working until you had something solid and presentable. Some suggestions for you:

1. Separate the feather at the top of the head further from the maple leaf. Either tweak the bird or, most likely, make the leaf smaller. The conflicting line widths in that area are kinda bugging me - a little distracting.

2. Again on line widths (this is personal preference), widen the white outline around the bird so it's even with the baseball. It'll make the secondary logo sharper, too. He'll stand out more.

3. Work on the eye. Even the older logo has a splash of white in the eye. It always helps give it some personality. In this case, give him a pupil or something. He looks like a zombie. I used to use the "white eye" or "zombie eye" technique a lot, but once I got the hang of more detailed eyes, I much prefer them.

I hope we see more of your work, because this has promise.

Thank you very much, hopefully with my college education, I can better myself that way as well. The eye particularly drives me insane, I have tried placement for the white, and have had little success. I can't decide between much things, and the Stroke is a definate fix.

Logo(s): A-

Sharpen the edges on the leaf. Also, round the top of the baseball. It looks like it is going in a horizontal pattern to the right. I do feel there need to be a different secondary logo. Maybe go back to the maple leaf with a baseball and the bird head in center?

Wordmark: C

Not a fan of this at all. I like the stike through the letters, but the line on the S has got to go. Defintely use another font.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Very good update. I still would change a couple of small things however. The beak should just be a little less "mechanized". A little shorter, pointed less upward and it looks great. Good work fixing up the rest of those issues though. This is a great concept.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Archived