Dark numbers on dark jerseys

jake22

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked these except for the fact that black is not one of WVU's colors...

doc4baeb644501a0381696365.jpg

Perhaps that's why the uniform is navy blue (a very dark shade of navy blue, for that matter)...

Nope. Its black.

definitely looks blue to me

They're black uniforms. The numbers and the stripe going down the back is navy blue.

4053804768_0f1691bbd8_o.png

These are blue.

Devin-Ebanks-4.jpg

Class dismissed.

90758391980.gif

He's right. Those are black and the fact that everyone is having such a hard time telling the difference shows how silly they really were (or are. Is WVU still wearing them?)

PvO6ZWJ.png

Dark on dark typically looks very good. It's a clean and tasteful look as opposed to the usual chunky numbers that scream out.

promo.jpg

You mean like they're supposed to?

Numbers aren't there just to be there. They have a purpose and in sports like football and hockey they're essential to player identification. It makes sense to have them "scream out".

yeah, those numbers are essential for commentators, public address announcers, statisticians, etc. Even sleeve numbers. Nobody really thinks about those 4" numbers until you really need them. If they're light-on-light, or dark-on-dark (like Niagara University likes to do, purple outlined in silver on black...freaking brutal), it becomes very difficult to do a good job. Aesthetics take a back seat to functionality here, though it should never be forgotten.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Dark on dark typically looks very good. It's a clean and tasteful look as opposed to the usual chunky numbers that scream out.

[PIC]

You mean like they're supposed to?

Numbers aren't there just to be there. They have a purpose and in sports like football and hockey they're essential to player identification. It makes sense to have them "scream out".

yeah, those numbers are essential for commentators, public address announcers, statisticians, etc. Even sleeve numbers. Nobody really thinks about those 4" numbers until you really need them. If they're light-on-light, or dark-on-dark (like Niagara University likes to do, purple outlined in silver on black...freaking brutal), it becomes very difficult to do a good job. Aesthetics take a back seat to functionality here, though it should never be forgotten.

I can attest to that. I do the radio for Freed-Hardeman Univ., and our girls recently got black away jerseys with maroon numbers and white outline. They are awful, but they're not nearly as bad as half of the other teams in the conference. There's one team (Trevecca Nazarene?) has black roads with purple numbers and Vegas gold trim. They're nearly impossible to read.

Also, I went to tonight's Grizz/Clippers game and sat in the upper deck. I must say, the Clips' new numbers, both font and color, are hard to read from a distance. (I had to identify Chris Kamen by his bald spot.) That blue and red are too close in value. Either a thicker numeral/white outline or white numerals would fix it.

110105624-conley-110314-630.jpg

I liked these except for the fact that black is not one of WVU's colors...

doc4baeb644501a0381696365.jpg

Perhaps that's why the uniform is navy blue (a very dark shade of navy blue, for that matter)...

Nope. Its black.

definitely looks blue to me

They're black uniforms. The numbers and the stripe going down the back is navy blue.

4053804768_0f1691bbd8_o.png

These are blue.

Devin-Ebanks-4.jpg

Class dismissed.

It still looks blue to me in the top one, it looks lighter than the referees pants. However, the bottom two clearly aren't blue, so I'll take your word for it

Class dismissed.

Also folks, there is a new professor of logos here, 65 posts in he has claimed his throne

I'm flattered, but if you'll recall what we just talked about had nothing to do with logos.

Well this site is called sports logos community, so I figured you were new master of the entire site

Class dismissed.

Also folks, there is a new professor of logos here, 65 posts in he has claimed his throne

I'm flattered, but if you'll recall what we just talked about had nothing to do with logos.

Well this site is called sports logos community, so I figured you were new master of the entire site

They managed to clone CC? :shocked: Please don't let them clone willmorris next.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

If you sit in the upper deck of any sporting event you're going to have trouble identifying the players

If one pays any money to sit anywhere in a moderately-sized basketball arena, they should be able to see numbers on the backs of the players. I could see the Grizzlies' numerals plain as day. However, if I didn't know the obvious physical differences between Blake Griffin and Chris Kaman, I would've confused them based on not being able to tell the difference between a 35 and a 32. While it was mainly the font, the values of the red and blue didn't help at all.

Class dismissed.

oh, ok. :rolleyes:

90758391980.gif

If you sit in the upper deck of any sporting event you're going to have trouble identifying the players

The problem is that most broadcast booths (in hockey arenas at least) are above the nosebleeds. At Copps Coliseum, you have to climb a set of stairs that extend from the top row of the upper bowl. We're three stories above ice level.

coppscopy.jpg

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The problem is that most broadcast booths (in hockey arenas at least) are above the nosebleeds. At Copps Coliseum, you have to climb a set of stairs that extend from the top row of the upper bowl. We're three stories above ice level.

Wait Nash61 are you a commentator for that team?

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Wait Nash61 are you a commentator for that team?

I do Hamilton Bulldogs commentary for our college TV station. It's volunteer, but looks pretty nice on a resume.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived