Dark numbers on dark jerseys

jake22

It seems that I'm in the serious minority here, but I really like color-on-color numbers for baseball. Not for other sports, but it works in baseball where numbers don't really serve much of a purpose. The Giants black lettering on black jerseys is one of my favorite baseball jerseys of the past decade and I tend to be more of a traditionalist.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'm not sure red on black really counts as dark on dark. Its all about contrast. Another thing to consider in creating color contrast is warm / cool relationships. Green on navy is tougher than red on nany, etc...

goes back to value. no matter the tint/shade of your hue, contrast is needed.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I always thought the Bulls jerseys were hard to read in person and on TV. To me, red pops out of black better than black pops out of red.

201009250022022942398749200.jpg

again, it goes to value. your eye is attracted to the lightest value, this case being red (not counting white). this shade of red being very bright and intense, it screams for attention. there is some visuale vibration here but i like any combination of red/black/white

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

It works at the lower levels where people are closer and there's not as much TV coverage, but at the major-league level, it's tough to read even red on black from many stadium seats, and announcers / writers have complained about this as well. HDTV has made it OK for TV though, but I still find it much easier to watch white / yellow / light color on dark.

If you look back, the Senators changed their red out for white, the Eagles wanted green on their black jerseys but had to go with white, and I know that there are other examples of teams that had to give up and change from colors to white but I can't think of them.

Baseball is a little different, since numbers don't really matter anymore. That's why you'll see the Giants black on black, the Angels red on red, the Braves navy on navy, etc. IMO those three examples all suck FWIW.

I agree for the most part, but I did the announcing for my sons youth football team (4th-5th grade) and we had teams with dark/dark and even from a HS press box it could still be brutal, especially for teams that did not have TV numbers.

I think it depends on the sport, baseball, basketball and soccer would be better than football, hockey and lacrosse.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I remember the Flint Generals had blue-on-gold numbers on their blue road (blue) jerseys during the 2000-01 season. I don't have a picture, but I remember the numbers being kind of hard to read, since they were the exact same shade of blue as the jersey.

The Gens went back to gold-on-white numbers for their road jerseys the following year, and it was much easier to read.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Noel-350.jpg

Don't mean to thread jack, but is that a Brewers' logo on their jerseys?! Can someone explain this to me? I'm not really up on hockey at all.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Noel-350.jpg

Don't mean to thread jack, but is that a Brewers' logo on their jerseys?! Can someone explain this to me? I'm not really up on hockey at all.

Every AHL team has a jersey sponsor (for the Bulldogs it's Pepsi) The Brewers are the jersey sponsor for the Admirals.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

How about the opposite? Raiders silver numbers on white.

And the Saints numbers in gold?

The Patriots red numbers on the 1993 jersey?

The Browns orange numbers on the 1984 preseason jersey?

These unis (especially the pant stripes) looked fantastic. the only thing i didn't like was the TV numbers not being outlined.

84094665.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548EAF39F06AFFC6649EBE58FDA3EA66C5E560F1ACBD70B8969

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Watching the Miami UNC game I think that the Miami black jerseys that have orange numbers and script fit into this catagory. I can easily read the Carolina blue numbers on a white jersey from far away but the orange on black is very hard to read if it's not an up close shot.

I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned Syracuse basketball's duct-tape numbers on their white uniforms. (And hell, even on their orange ones...)

Yeah--think it's time to kill that experiment, Nike.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived