Dark numbers on dark jerseys

jake22

I always thought the Bulls jerseys were hard to read in person and on TV. To me, red pops out of black better than black pops out of red.

201009250022022942398749200.jpg

again, it goes to value. your eye is attracted to the lightest value, this case being red (not counting white). this shade of red being very bright and intense, it screams for attention. there is some visuale vibration here but i like any combination of red/black/white

It seems black on red or red on black combinations have been brought up a few times in this thread and I just don't think they fit in this category. I don't think either one of those are dark on dark in any way. They may not be the most visually clear, but I still think they are more than distinctive enough to be separated by the eye. Same applies to orange and black and vice versa. Just my take on the subject.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's not dark on dark, but does anyone realize how difficult it is to read the Sacramento on the Kings home jersey? It's white with a purple outline.

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

Here's one. Not the numbers, but the names. Gold on black?

slideshow_1295877_pmx_hockey15.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I always thought the Bulls jerseys were hard to read in person and on TV. To me, red pops out of black better than black pops out of red.

201009250022022942398749200.jpg

again, it goes to value. your eye is attracted to the lightest value, this case being red (not counting white). this shade of red being very bright and intense, it screams for attention. there is some visuale vibration here but i like any combination of red/black/white

It seems black on red or red on black combinations have been brought up a few times in this thread and I just don't think they fit in this category. I don't think either one of those are dark on dark in any way. They may not be the most visually clear, but I still think they are more than distinctive enough to be separated by the eye. Same applies to orange and black and vice versa. Just my take on the subject.

agreed. it depends on the exact hue, "orange" and "red" have many different shades/tints but if we're talking about the Bulls or Falcons the contrast in value is high enough that it works, especially with the white trim

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Black on red > red on black.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Black on red > red on black.

A million times over.

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

One more the Black on Red. But the Flames also roll with my biggest pet peeve in uniforms, Different coloured name plate this goes for the Steelers as well.

igrinla.jpg

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

This is the jersey that comes to mind for me when talking about dark numbers on a dark uniform

2001.jpg

When did they stop using those uniforms?

The last time they wore them was in 2002. And they didnt have an alternate again untill 2010 when they used the orange jeresy. IMO I think that they should bring back the black as a road alt and keep the orange for home games

raiders-2.png

This is the jersey that comes to mind for me when talking about dark numbers on a dark uniform

2001.jpg

When did they stop using those uniforms?

The last time they wore them was in 2002. And they didnt have an alternate again untill 2010 when they used the orange jeresy. IMO I think that they should bring back the black as a road alt and keep the orange for home games

I was asking because I was at a Giants home game about 2 years ago, and I bought a Lincecum shirt, and the shirt is based off of those jerseys. I just think it's weird to model all your shirts on a jersey that hasn't been in use for 7 years.

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

I don't think there's any way gold on black can be considered dark-on-dark. Maybe if it's a really really dark shade of gold, but that's not.

If gold-on-black doesn't work (which I'd say it definitely does), then nothing works on a black jersey except for white numbers, really.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

I don't think there's any way gold on black can be considered dark-on-dark. Maybe if it's a really really dark shade of gold, but that's not.

If gold-on-black doesn't work (which I'd say it definitely does), then nothing works on a black jersey except for white numbers, really.

It's a lot brighter in the picture than in real life. I was having problems reading them (20/20 vision) from the front row of the upper bowl

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

They're just surnames. I really don't think the color of the surnames are all that vital to identifying players--I mean, after all, that's what those gigantic numbers are for. :P

(As an aside, i kinda wish more teams would try that out on their jerseys. I really like how it looks on the Pittsburgh Steelers' jerseys...and if not for the surnames in the above-posted picture appearing more greenish than the gold trim on the jersey hems, I'd say the same thing about those jerseys as well.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Dark on dark typically looks very good. It's a clean and tasteful look as opposed to the usual chunky numbers that scream out.

promo.jpg

You mean like they're supposed to?

Numbers aren't there just to be there. They have a purpose and in sports like football and hockey they're essential to player identification. It makes sense to have them "scream out".

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived