Unique Team Names

pianoknight

This was inspired by some chatter in other threads around the uniqueness of a team's logo or color scheme. What about their mascots? Specifically, I've broken down the six "power" conferences for NCAA Football. Feel free to disagree with my rankings, but I assigned points to a team based on how unique their mascot is. I've also tallied up the total points and average points per conference. By my count it looks like a 1st place tie for the BigTen and the ACC.

1 point for common names

"Tigers" could be Missouri, Auburn, LSU, etc...

2 points for less common names and/or slightly modified common names

Texas Tech - "Red" Raiders only modifies the very common "Raiders" name, etc...

3 points for extremely unique names

Sooners. Buckeyes. Tar Heels. Pretty self explanatory.

Thoughts?

teams.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Yeah, that was one that didn't make sense. I'm not sure that "Badgers" is all that common for a sports mascot, either.

And how is "Commodores" earn a "Common with Modifier"? Or "Yellowjackets"? Are you saying those are modified forms of the more-common "Admirals" and "Bees"? ;) "Ducks", "Beavers", "Wolverines", "Cyclones", "Hurricanes" and "Razorbacks" all seem misplaced as 2s.

And is "Demon" or "Deacons" the modifier in that name?

I admire what you're trying to do, but the criteria seems a bit... off.

I would argue that the Stanford "Cardinal" should be a "2" or even a "1".

I feel the same way, but I know that Stanford fans are pretty vicious about defending the fact that their mascot is some kind of color, or tree, or who knows what..... IT'S JUST NOT A DAMN BIRD!!!!

But in the grand scheme it doesn't affect much as the Pac 12 is riddled with common names.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Yeah, that was one that didn't make sense. I'm not sure that "Badgers" is all that common for a sports mascot, either.

And how is "Commodores" earn a "Common with Modifier"? Or "Yellowjackets"? Are you saying those are modified forms of the more-common "Admirals" and "Bees"? ;) "Ducks", "Beavers", "Wolverines", "Cyclones", "Hurricanes" and "Razorbacks" all seem misplaced as 2s.

And is "Demon" or "Deacons" the modifier in that name?

I admire what you're trying to do, but the criteria seems a bit... off.

"Category 2" is for slightly modified names and/or LESS COMMON names. Take the Ducks. What other teams are called the ducks? Maybe Anaheim in the NHL, but that's about it. Same for the others you listed. Yes, there are other teams called the Wolverines, but when I hear that, I think Michigan.

As far as Yellowjacket - it's a compound word. I suppose there is the Columbus Blue Jackets, but that's a stupid name, really. "Yellow" is not modifying "Jacket," it's a single word that describes a type of wasp.

UyDgMWP.jpg

"Longhorns" should be a 2, since it's just a variation on "Bulls."

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

"Longhorns" should be a 2, since it's just a variation on "Bulls."

It's a variation, not a modification. If Texas was called the Burnt Orange Bulls, then they would be a 2. Nobody else is called the Longhorns.

UyDgMWP.jpg

I feel the same way, but I know that Stanford fans are pretty vicious about defending the fact that their mascot is some kind of color, or tree, or who knows what..... IT'S JUST NOT A DAMN BIRD!!!!

But in the grand scheme it doesn't affect much as the Pac 12 is riddled with common names.

Stanford's mascot is just some drunk college student in a fat, ugly tree costume that, on occasion, devours college cheerleaders:

stanford-tree-some.png

Mountaineers is not extremely unique. That' what varsity at my called is named.

MohawkMountaineersBlack.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Mountaineers is not extremely unique. That' what varsity at my called is named.

MohawkMountaineersBlack.jpg

I think he means specifically within the BCS.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I agree with previous posters-- the criteria has to go one way or the other. If you are only talking about commonality between and among the "big six" BCS conferences, then a lot more of them would get threes: Gators, Wolverines, Aggies, Cyclones, etc. If there is no other team with that name, then they are unique. Now if you are talking about the entire college and pro sports spectrum, (including minor leagues and Division II and III colleges) then a lot of those would move down.

Either way you set up the category, there's a lot that is off: Just a few examples:

- With the Portland Beavers minor league ball club now gone, what other college or pro teams use "Beavers"? None that come to mind; should be a 3.

- "Jayhawks" is a modification of "hawks", which is common as all get out, and as such should be a two, not a three. I don't see how you can have "Hawkeyes" at 2 and "Jayhawks" at 3.

- I'm hard-pressed to think of another pro or college team called the Razorbacks, Commodores, Horned Frogs, or Golden Gophers (regardless of the modifiers) Should all be threes.

- At what point does the commonality level jump from "2" level to "3" level? "Aggies" you have at 2, yet that is used by at least 5 college teams-- Texas A&M, Utah State, North Carolina A&T, UC-Davis and New Mexico State. It was also used by a lot more in the past.

Interesting concept, just needs some refinement....

It is what it is.

Funny thing is that the student body had elected the nickname "Thunder Chickens" as their new nickname (from Indians) in 1972. The school staff/alumni decided to overrule the results and just settled on "Cardinals" as it was already the school's color. But they emphasized it was not after the bird. In 1981 they decided to alter it to "The Cardinal" in the same another school might be called "The Black" or "The Green". The tree is in fact not the official mascot as the school clams it does not actually ave one. Ever get the feeling the school is run by a bunch of killjoys?

Pity they hadn't stuck with Thunder Chickens. In addition to actually earning that "3" they would defiantly have been unique and would have been near the top in school merchandizing. If you doubt that look at the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs. I have no clue how their basketball team is but you have to admit people know what that school's nickname.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I would add two more categories and alter No. 3. Here's how I would put it:

3 points for extremely unique nicknames that don't necessarily show power.

4 points for unique nicknames that show power and/or represent their area well.

5 points for extremely unique nicknames that show power and represent their area well.

So, on this critera, UC Banana Slugs would get 3 points, Texas Longhorns and Ohio State Buckeyes would get 4 points, and Oklahoma Sooners would get 5 points.

To me, the ideal nicknames show power and local identification, as well as a bit of uniqueness.

I look at teams such as the Montana Grizzlies, Florida Gators, Florida State Seminoles, Utah Utes, Oklahoma Sooners and North Carolina Tar Heels, to use a few examples, as some of the best nicknames.

I love the nicknames of the two biggest colleges here in North Dakota -- the North Dakota Fighting Sioux and North Dakota State Bison. Both nicknames represent this state well, regardless of what the NCAA says about the Fighting Sioux.

Another fantastic name is the Kentucky State Thorobreds. Oh, and there's the UMass Minutemen.

I know I'm missing a few, but to me, these are some of the best.

Archived