2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

So this poses an interesting question: If Arkansas wins out, and Ok State win out, Does Arkansas and Ok State play in the title game? How trippy would that be?

It'll depend on how the BCS standings look the Sunday before the SEC Championship Game.

If Arkansas beats LSU, we're most likely looking at a 3-way tie between Arkansas, Alabama, and LSU.....all at 7-1 and 11-1. I believe the first tiebreaker among three teams is the BCS rankings (and it's not simply just the highest-ranked...there's rules that are dependent on how closely ranked the three teams are).

It's exactly what happened in 2008 in the Big-12 South. Texas, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma. Texas beat Oklahoma, Oklahoma beat Texas Tech, and Texas Tech beat Texas. Oklahoma was #2, Texas was #3 and Tech was #8, so Oklahoma went to the Big-12 game, and ultimately lost to Florida in the BCS game. Texas ended up in the Fiesta Bowl and beat Ohio State. Tech was relegated to the Cotton Bowl and lost to Ole Miss.

Another example of why this is stupid.

Polls make up a large portion of the BCS rankings, and polls are inherently subjective. Of course the voters want to see OU and Texas in big games because 1) that's what they're used to and 2) that's what will have the biggest draw for the bowls, meaning the most revenue for the bowls.

I have an eerie feeling that even if Arkansas beats LSU like a rented mule, they still won't have enough to jump LSU and/or Bama in the polls, and thus they'll get short-changed in the computer rankings.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't feel like playing the "What if?" game, because there's no perfect answer that will please everybody. (And, no, a playoff system won't please everyone, either.)

The polls tend to work themselves out once all the games have been played. The voters most likely won't put a team that didn't win it's conference (or division inside a conference) in a position to play for the national championship unless ridiculous circumstances warrant it. The 2007 Georgia team is proof of this.

(And, no, a playoff system won't please everyone, either.)

No, but if your team comes away unhappy in a playoff system, they have no one to blame but themselves. There's no whining about conferences, AQ vs. non-AQ, or strength of schedule (which is more about politics and power than team quality anyway). There's no situations where there's two undefeated teams at the end of the year and only one champion.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

(And, no, a playoff system won't please everyone, either.)

No, but if your team comes away unhappy in a playoff system, they have no one to blame but themselves. There's no whining about conferences, AQ vs. non-AQ, or strength of schedule (which is more about politics and power than team quality anyway). There's no situations where there's two undefeated teams at the end of the year and only one champion.

Also, if you're #9 and you get left out of the playoffs, you have far thinner a case than if you're #3 and get left out of the NCG.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So someone I don't know was blowing Kellen Moore and his career winning percentage being the best in NCAA history do I did some homework because I have no life.

Thru the UNLV game (Nov. 5th, 2011) Kellen Moore's opponent's combined record in games they won is 259-242 (51.7 Win %) and 22-3 (88.0 Win %) combined record of their opponents they lost to.

2008 - Record of Teams they beat - 67-72

------ Record of Teams they lost to - 10-2

Division 2 Opponents - Idaho St. (1-11)

2009 - Record of Teams they beat - 84-77

------ Record of Teams they lost to - 0-0

Division 2 Opponents - UC Davis (6-5)

2010 - Record of Teams they beat - 73-68

------ Record of Teams they lost to - 12-1

Division 2 Opponents - None

2011 - Record of Teams they beat - 35-25

------ Record of Teams they lost to - 0-0

Division 2 Opponents - None

With that being said this is how he did against ranked opponents:

- 2008 -

#17 Oregon (won by 5) - Oregon was 10-3 that year

#11 TCU (lost by 1) - TCU was 11-2 that year

- 2009 -

#16 Oregon (won by 11) - Oregon was 10-3 that year

#4 TCU (won by 7) - TCU was 12-1 that year

- 2010 -

#10 Virginia Tech (won by 3) - Virginia Tech was 11-3 that year

#24 Oregon St. (won by 13) - Oregon St. was 5-7 that year

#19 Nevada (lost by 3) - Nevada was 13-1 that year

#19 Utah (won by 23) - Utah was 10-3 that year

- 2011 -

#19 Georgia (won by 14) - Georgia is 7-2 this year

Record versus ranked (7-2)

Combined records of ranked opponents (89-25)

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

Doomsday scenario:

LSU loses to Arkansas - who goes on to represent the SEC West in the SEC title game

OK State loses to Oklahoma

Stanford loses to Oregon

We could have a situation where it's LSU vs. Alabama - and neither team won their own conference!

If Arkansas plays in the SEC Championship, then LSU and Alabama won't be able to have a rematch.

The BCS bowls are obligated to taking the SEC Champion and only one at-large team from the SEC. Since Arkansas and Georgia (or East champion) would be the conference champion, there's only one spot for LSU and Alabama. The higher ranked goes to the BCS NCG, the other goes to the Capital One Bowl.

Actually, if LSU and Alabama are #1 and #2 and Arkansas wins the SEC, all three go. It's the one exception to the 2 teams per conference tule.

LvZYtbZ.png

With a close final of 9-6, what do all of you think about the possibility of an LSU/Alabama NCG provided both teams win out?

Absolutely possible now, and no reason there shouldn't be if they finish out winners. ESPN advertised that game like crazy and it lived up to its hype.

Except the pushed Arky-South Carolina just as hard. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Doomsday scenario:

LSU loses to Arkansas - who goes on to represent the SEC West in the SEC title game

Stanford loses to Oregon

We could have a situation where it's LSU vs. Alabama - and neither team won their own conference!

If Arkansas plays in the SEC Championship, then LSU and Alabama won't be able to have a rematch.

The BCS bowls are obligated to taking the SEC Champion and only one at-large team from the SEC. Since Arkansas and Georgia (or East champion) would be the conference champion, there's only one spot for LSU and Alabama. The higher ranked goes to the BCS NCG, the other goes to the Capital One Bowl.

Actually, if LSU and Alabama are #1 and #2 and Arkansas wins the SEC, all three go. It's the one exception to the 2 teams per conference tule.

If Arkansas wins the SEC West, that means that had to beat LSU, who wouldn't be #1 with a loss.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Doomsday scenario:

Stanford loses to Oregon

If Arkansas wins the SEC West, that means that had to beat LSU, who wouldn't be #1 with a loss.

They could, however, be #2 - especially if Arkansas beats them in a manner that involves a controversial call (i.e. Toledo vs. Syracuse). Then the roundabout might shake out with Bama 1, LSU 2 and Ark 3.

The more I think about it, the more evident it becomes that this entire BCS thing is just plain dumb. An 8-team playoff would solve all of this by simply going by the rankings.

I'm sorry that is LSU and Arkansas' last game of the Regular Season. If the Tigers lose, no matter the circumstances they will not be Number 1 or 2. I just can't see it happening. Especially if Bama and Arkansas go unbeaten the rest of the way, also since Georgia seems untouched in the East, they'll be throwing a wrench into this.

I think we could get another scenario like we did a few years back. Mizzou goes 12-1, Kansas goes 12-1, KU's only loss was to Mizzou, well Mizzou's only loss was to OU in. the BXII Championship. Kansas goes to the Orange Bowl, Mizzou I believe went to the Cotton. This always angered me.

Could we get a situation where. Bama runs the table, LSU loses in the SEC Championship, and both OK State and Stanford stumble along the way. We'll have to see what the last BCS standings before the Conference Championship's to really get a full grasp on everything.

1 loss LSU

1 loss Bama

1 loss Stanford or Oregon

1 loss Oklahoma

1 loss OK State (But they're pretty much eliminated if OU beats them)

Unbeaten Boise State

BCS, we have a problem.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I'm sorry that is LSU and Arkansas' last game of the Regular Season. If the Tigers lose, no matter the circumstances they will not be Number 1 or 2. I just can't see it happening. Especially if Bama and Arkansas go unbeaten the rest of the way, also since Georgia seems untouched in the East, they'll be throwing a wrench into this.

I think we could get another scenario like we did a few years back. Mizzou goes 12-1, Kansas goes 12-1, KU's only loss was to Mizzou, well Mizzou's only loss was to OU in. the BXII Championship. Kansas goes to the Orange Bowl, Mizzou I believe went to the Cotton. This always angered me.

Could we get a situation where. Bama runs the table, LSU loses in the SEC Championship, and both OK State and Stanford stumble along the way. We'll have to see what the last BCS standings before the Conference Championship's to really get a full grasp on everything.

1 loss LSU

1 loss Bama

1 loss Oklahoma

Unbeaten Boise State

BCS, we have a problem.

What if the only unbeaten teams at the end of the season are Boise and Houston? Could that mean that Boise goes the the NCG, and Houston goes the the Fiesta bowl? Could we have a scenario where we have two non BCS teams in the BCS? Or better yet, does Houston JUMP Boise? It terms of overall strength of schedule, If UCLA wins out, then Houston would've beaten the Pac-12 South champion on the road, which, to the computers, will be similar to beating Georgia, and I think the overall strength of schedule might actually favor Houston. If no other teams undefeated except Boise and Houston, I think Houston would go to the title game ahead of Boise.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

1 loss LSU

1 loss Bama

1 loss Oklahoma

Unbeaten Boise State

BCS, we have a problem.

What if the only unbeaten teams at the end of the season are Boise and Houston? Could that mean that Boise goes the the NCG, and Houston goes the the Fiesta bowl? Could we have a scenario where we have two non BCS teams in the BCS? Or better yet, does Houston JUMP Boise? It terms of overall strength of schedule, If UCLA wins out, then Houston would've beaten the Pac-12 South champion on the road, which, to the computers, will be similar to beating Georgia, and I think the overall strength of schedule might actually favor Houston. If no other teams undefeated except Boise and Houston, I think Houston would go to the title game ahead of Boise.

Honestly I forgot about Houston, and I don`t know how. Houston has a tough game against Tulsa who should be ranked by their meeting at the end of the season, plus a Conference Championship Game against another ranked opponent in Southern Miss. Houston could be the Boise State and TCU of years gone by. All of that plus, like you said their win against a possible Pac 12 Championship School on the road, can only help their resume.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

1 loss LSU

1 loss Bama

1 loss Oklahoma

Unbeaten Boise State

BCS, we have a problem.

Really, man? Reeeeally?

Anyway, I know TCU played Boise in a BCS game a couple of years ago (it was shameful they had to play each other instead of taking on two of big boys), so two non-BCS teams in a BCS game happened...it will never happen in the only BCS game that matters. One will never make it under the current system, let alone two.

The voters, networks and the whomever will conspire to keep Boise State and Houston out of the NCG. It will be done.

No they won't. No one has to conspire to keep Boise State and/or Houston out of the BCS Championship. They haven't proven to be good enough or tested enough to warrant a spot in the game anyway. Sorry.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

With a close final of 9-6, what do all of you think about the possibility of an LSU/Alabama NCG provided both teams win out?

Absolutely possible now, and no reason there shouldn't be if they finish out winners. ESPN advertised that game like crazy and it lived up to its hype.

I can't tell if you are joking or not...because for a Top 10 matchup to be going on within USC/Arky, it was pushed aside like every other game was for LSU/Bama attention.

I can't tell if you are joking or not...because for a Top 10 matchup to be going on within USC/Arky, it was pushed aside like every other game was for LSU/Bama attention.

Living in the unofficial Capital of the SEC, the only reason why I heard about USC/Arkansas this past week was because UGA/Falcons fans were put into the conundrum of rooting for Bobby Petrino. That game was definitely put on the backburner.

What's really sad is that ESPN is going to brand it as a "classic" and a "tough defensive battle" while ignoring the inept quarterback play, penalties, ugly special teams play (especially for Bama), bad playcalling, and general lack of discipline.

If we have to sit through another four quarters of this boring garbage in the title game, then there's literally no point to any other conferences playing any games, because the SEC bias will have reached an absurd level.

And if you thought the offense was bad on Saturday, just wait to see the offensive DERP that 5 weeks away from a football field will give you.

They pushed it often enough and hard enough-including moving it to the night time slot. And it was only a top ten matchup because pollsters had yet to realize South Carolina no longer has an offense.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

No they won't. No one has to conspire to keep Boise State and/or Houston out of the BCS Championship. They haven't proven to be good enough or tested enough to warrant a spot in the game anyway. Sorry.

Beating a Georgia team that may very well have a chance to represent the SEC East in the SEC CG isn't "tested enough"? I'm sorry, but I simply do not buy it.

"Nobody outside the BCS AQ conferences can be 'good enough' because if they were, they'd be in one of those BCS AQ conferences by now."

That's the line of reasoning being presented, and it's rubbish.

The BCS is so corrupt. Arkansas beat, according to them, the #9 team in the COUNTRY and drops a spot? A one-loss Alabama team only drops one spot, staying ahead of Heisman frontrunner and UNDEFEATED Stanford? A three-loss Baylor team that has been blown out by Texas A&M ranked, but a 7-2, 5-0 conference record of TCU is not? Gimme a break.

9zr9jl.gif

This is my mock Top 25, the way I think it should be.

Baylor plays a much more difficult schedule and there's also the minor thing in which BAYLOR BEAT TCU.

Today, we are all otaku.

I'm just going to leave this out here for the SOS pundits to mull over.

'Bama will have ducked both South Carolina and Georgia this season and their only "difficult" non-Conference opponent is Penn State and its non-existent offense.

When you factor in how bad the rest of the SEC is this season...why does Alabama get all this credit again?

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived