2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

IMO, choosing teams that have already been eliminated from the playoffs kind of takes away some meaning from the bowls. It's like playing the 7th place game at an AAU tournament, youre playing just to play

Isn't that basically the same thing as inviting 6-6 teams to bowls?

When was the last time a 6-6 team made the BCS?

Exactly. A bunch of mediocre teams with no prayer at the BCS doesn't somehow add special "meaning" to the crappier bowls.

But we're not talking about the smaller bowl games. Do you think you'd see teams with roses in their mouths after losing in the playoffs? Playing a game after being eliminated from the playoffs is playing just to be playing

edit: And before you say "well isnt every bowl except the NCG meaningless then" no becasue when you're playing in the Pac 12 championship or Big Ten championship, the Rose Bowl is the prize (in most cases) so that is what you're playing for. If you're in the playoffs, the championship is what you're playing for. When you fail to meet that goal, any game fter is playing just to be playing

Yes. It would be the same thing as now, "we're not playing for the National Championship, but we're still playing in the Rose Bowl". Only difference is, they'd at least have a fair shot at the NCG.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really think after a team loses a game and is eliminated from championship contention they'd be on the field celebrating with roses? Really?

If they then won the Rose Bowl, yes. Really.

Otherwise, no one will be celebrating with roses, as whoever won it would just win a playoff game with more to go. Takes away more from the Rose Bowl.

And the fact that you keep asking the same sarcastic question leads me to believe you have no other argument to back up your point.

You really think after a team loses a game and is eliminated from championship contention they'd be on the field celebrating with roses? Really?

Nobody implied that, except for you. By playing a tournament and then putting the losers into the rest of the BCS games is actually a good idea. The BCS bowls still make money. Of course a loser in one of the tournament games isn't going to be celebrating with roses, oranges, or sombrero hats. But atleast they'll still be awarded for making it to the tournament and however far they made it into it.

It is also more football for all fans to enjoy. What is not to like about bowl games?

They are corrupt as all get out-in terms of bribing public officials and misappropriating funds, they ultimately cost most participating institutions money, and are only civic boons if you can actually get a team with a good traveling fanbase to play in your game.

/I'm sure the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce LOVED having BYU 4-5 consecutive years.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A few Tweets making the rounds (Danny Sheridan, for one) are saying that it's LSU and Alabama in the BCS National Championship.

I've already outlined my BCS bowl predictions if it's LSU vs Oklahoma State in the title game. I'll take a stab if it's LSU vs Alabama:

BCS NC: LSU vs Alabama

Rose: Oregon vs Wisconsin

Fiesta: Oklahoma State vs TCU

Sugar: Michigan vs Kansas State

Orange: Clemson vs West Virginia

IMO, choosing teams that have already been eliminated from the playoffs kind of takes away some meaning from the bowls. It's like playing the 7th place game at an AAU tournament, youre playing just to play

Isn't that basically the same thing as inviting 6-6 teams to bowls?

When was the last time a 6-6 team made the BCS?

7-5 Louisville was a Connecticut victory over Cincinnati away from playing in the Orange Bowl this season.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Otherwise, no one will be celebrating with roses, as whoever won it would just win a playoff game with more to go. Takes away more from the Rose Bowl.

And the fact that you keep asking the same sarcastic question leads me to believe you have no other argument to back up your point.

We're talking about a hypothetical situation, so there really isnt any concrete evidence to support either side of the arguement, only what you believe. And I personally believe putting the losers of playoff games into the BCS bowls makes those bowls less meaningful

We're talking about a hypothetical situation, so there really isnt any concrete evidence to support either side of the arguement, only what you believe. And I personally believe putting the losers of playoff games into the BCS bowls makes those bowls less meaningful

I would posit it doesn't because we're discussing a less than zero situation here.

Today, we are all otaku.

How is having a bowl champion less meaningful than having the bowl game just be a playoff game where the winner moves on, immediately putting that bowl game behind them?

College football is a farce. A loss early in the season is less meaningful than a loss late in the season. The bowl system is in place so that teams can talk about 7-6 as a "successful season". The BCS rewards teams for scheduling weak opponents outside of their conference schedules and encourages teams to run up the score to impress voters. It's unbearable.

How is having a bowl champion less meaningful than having the bowl game just be a playoff game where the winner moves on, immediately putting that bowl game behind them?

McCall, I don't think he understands what you're saying. McCall isn't saying that the losers in the tournament game then go to the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, or Sugar Bowl. He's saying each one of those games makes up the tournament. If a team wins the Orange Bowl and another wins the Fiesta, they advance to the Rose Bowl.

The fact that the Rose Bowl keeps using the nickname "the grand daddy of them all" is also a farce. Had UCLA beat Oregon, we'd have a 7-6 UCLA team playing in a major bowl while good teams like Boise State and Houston/So. Miss play in bowl games nobody cares about.

McCall, I don't think he understands what you're saying. McCall isn't saying that the losers in the tournament game then go to the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, or Sugar Bowl. He's saying each one of those games makes up the tournament. If a team wins the Orange Bowl and another wins the Fiesta, they advance to the Rose Bowl.

Actually I was saying that as you lose in the playoffs you go in the pool for BCS bowl selections. Or the bowl can choose usual tie-ins. I don't like each bowl just being a playoff stop along the way. THAT makes each less meaningful. There's only 8 playoff teams so the 6 that don't make the NCG would still be a better pick than a team that didn't make it or being a bowl game that's just a playoff game. Teams that currently don't make the NCG play in those bowls so there's really no difference.

The fact that the Rose Bowl keeps using the nickname "the grand daddy of them all" is also a farce. Had UCLA beat Oregon, we'd have a 7-6 UCLA team playing in a major bowl while good teams like Boise State and Houston/So. Miss play in bowl games nobody cares about.

It means it is the oldest. Which it is. By a reasonably hefty margin.

Today, we are all otaku.

Actually I was saying that as you lose in the playoffs you go in the pool for BCS bowl selections. Or the bowl can choose usual tie-ins. I don't like each bowl just being a playoff stop along the way. THAT makes each less meaningful. There's only 8 playoff teams so the 6 that don't make the NCG would still be a better pick than a team that didn't make it or being a bowl game that's just a playoff game. Teams that currently don't make the NCG play in those bowls so there's really no difference.

Alright, I gotcha. I still don't see the problem with your system though. You're still giving the top teams a fair chance at the National Championship and then putting the ones that don't make the NCG into the rest of the BCS Bowl games. How is that different than how it is now besides for the fact that now they don't get the chance to play for the NCG? LeGooo, do you really think that if OK State doesn't make the NCG tonight, they'll want to play in the Fiesta Bowl? They'd much rather to play in the NCG, but they're still going to play in the Fiesta Bowl. It's the same thing as teams in a tournament. Sure they won't be satisfied, but they'll take it.

Smart move by the cabal. Slide Virginia Tech into the Sugar Bowl and then all the RAEG overshadows "LSU-BAMA I guess the regular season is exhibition season after all".

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived