2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Its a lot of BS if Michigan backs into a BCS game and State is the odd man out. I hope Michigan gets destroyed in a BCS game.

And it is already starting. Oh Sparty... :rolleyes:

<--- Central grad. I'm a fan of neither Michigan nor State.

Its a lot of BS if Michigan backs into a BCS game and State is the odd man out. I hope Michigan gets destroyed in a BCS game.

After the automatic bids, it's all about the dollars. Michigan in their first BCS bowl in a long while is a very attractive package to the people who decide this stuff. You may as well get used to the idea that the Wolverines are probably going BCS bowling.

Another reason why a Playoff is needed. It's all about money with these guys, and who's more attractive even if they really don't deserve to be there.

Whats worse is that it is better to not play in the Big Ten title game than to play in it an lose.

Big Ten country has to get conditioned for this "Title Game" stuff. It does seem unfair, but all games count the same, and Michigan State now has an extra loss. So you get to play for it all but the loser of the game was gonna get the Outback Bowl (or the Insight Bowl if Michigan does not get to the BcS). Michigan State is probably the best team in the Big Ten, but Wisconsin gets the auto, Michigan has one less loss, and Nebraska housed 'em. It's too bad, but I am not too surprised. (of course it's also about the "Nebraska" TV/travel cache, etc...too).

It's a particularly tough pill to swallow because MSU, for a second straight year, co-tops the B1G regular season and comes out about as bad as they could in the bowls. I feel bad for those players, particularly the seniors.

But that's the "new" Big Ten and all losses count...plus when in doubt, tie always goes to the four (or is it three now?) glamor programs, two of whom are beating 'em out right now.

How can you say that Michigan State is the best team in the Big 10 when Wisconsin is 2 hail mary passes away from playing for the National Championship?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Oklahoma State,

Disregard all the support from people who think you should get a shot at the NCG. NC contenders don't rush the field when they win a game they were expected to win.

Signed,

Teams that act like they have been there before

So of course THIS happens:

13 injured, 2 critically, as fans storm field after Okla. State win

6uXNWAo.png

Oh damn, :censored: just got real.

@McMurphyCBS

Brett McMurphy

OSU?s @boonepickens: ?If we don?t get in the BCS, I?m not kidding you, if I have the power to do it, I?m gonna have an investigation?

Dan Wetzel did point out that the Harris Poll has nothing in its bylaws restricting pollsters from accepting "gifts". So tell me T. Boone, how much WOULD you give to see Oklahoma State to play in a national championship game?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Also, Boise State beat writer Brian Murphy is claiming that if TCU is out of the top 16, the Fiesta Bowl wants a Stanford vs. Boise matchup. (Now, take that with a grain of salt, because the polls obviously aren't out and the final selections have yet to be made.)

Is the Fiesta Bowl's fines scalable to their profits or something? Otherwise I can't conceive of why they would do this.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Going into the day, I had Alabama as the BCS #2. But Oklahoma State did what the needed to do bu opening a can on the Sooners. I now have the Pokes jumping Bama and playing LSU for the Nat'l title. Anyone else?

I agree. Now it just needs to actually happen.

Unfortunately the BCS loves the SEC. IMO, 'Bama doesn't deserve to play in the title game. The already lost to LSU, at home no less, and if 'Bama beats LSU and the other one-loss teams wins their respective bowl games, who's to say 'Bama is the best when the essentially split a home-and-home with LSU, and there are other one-loss teams just as deserving? Please BCS, make the title game LSU-Oklahoma St.!

I've been thinking about how a playoff would work, and here's what I got:

11 conference champions and 5 at large bids to make a 16-team playoff. Seeds determined by BCS.

(This is one bracket)

1. LSU (SEC Champs) vs. 16. Louisiana State (WAC Champs)

8. TCU (Mountain West Champs) vs. 9. Boise St. (at-large bid)

5. Stanford (at-large bid) vs. 12. Southern Miss (C-USA Champs)

4. Oregon (PAC-12 Champs) vs. 13. Arkansas State (Sun Belt Champs)

(This is the other bracket)

2. Oklahoma St. (Big 12 Champs) vs. 15. Northern Illinois (MAC Champs)

7. Clemson (ACC Champs) vs. 10. Virginia Tect (at-large bid)

6. Wisconsin (Big Ten Champs vs. 11. Kansas State (at-large bid)

3. Alabama (at-large bid) vs. 14. West Virginia (Big East Champs)

I'll update it once the new BCS standings come out. What do you guys think of a playoff like the one I suggested?

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Also, Boise State beat writer Brian Murphy is claiming that if TCU is out of the top 16, the Fiesta Bowl wants a Stanford vs. Boise matchup. (Now, take that with a grain of salt, because the polls obviously aren't out and the final selections have yet to be made.)

Is the Fiesta Bowl's fines scalable to their profits or something? Otherwise I can't conceive of why they would do this.

Well Boise did beat New Mexico pretty convincingly today...

Tell the coach of a conference champion *cough TCU* that Boise deserves to be in ahead of them

If TCU finishes outside of the top 16, they are ineligible for selection. If they finish in the top 16, they are automatically selected. There's no decision regarding TCU to be made.

6fQjS3M.png

Next year the SEC should be the only conference that plays, because they're the only ones that can play for a championship. What's the point of a Mountain West school playing a season knowing they cannot win a championship, regardless of record? Ever wonder why a non-AQ school can't break the top 2? The BCS isn't computer based. The BCS wants the most marketable schools to highlight their bowls. "BCS National Champion" sounds a hell of a lot more impressive than "MAACO Las Vegas Bowl Champion." You may say "Yeah, they went 12-0, but (SEC team) went 12-0 playing better competition." There are so many teams in FBS football that played an easier schedule than this hypothetical 12-0 Mtn. West team, but couldn't win all 12 games. A win is a win. Doesn't matter who you beat. If a team (Alabama) cannot win their DIVISION, let alone their conference, why should they have a shot to be national champions? The bowl system is complete :censored:.

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png

AnythingChicago FINAL Standings:

1. LSU (13-0)

2. Oklahoma State (11-1)

3. Alabama (11-1)

4. Boise State (12-1)

5. Oregon (10-2)

6. Stanford (11-1)

7. Wisconsin (10-2)

8. USC (10-2)

9. Arkansas (10-2)

10. Kansas State (10-2)

11. South Carolina (10-2)

12. Michigan (10-2)

13. TCU (10-2)

14. Clemson (10-3)

15. Virginia Tech (11-2)

16. Baylor (9-3)

17. Georgia (10-3)

18. Michigan State (10-3)

19. Southern Miss (11-2)

20. Houston (12-1)

21. Oklahoma (10-3)

22. Nebraska (9-3)

23. Penn State (9-3)

24. West Virginia (9-3)

25. Cincinnati (9-3)

Others receiving votes: Georgia Tech, Florida State, Virginia, Missouri, Texas, Northern Illinois, Arkansas State

AnythingChicago Bowl Projections:

Allstate BCS National Championship Game: LSU vs. Oklahoma State

Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio: Wisconsin vs. Oregon

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl: Boise State vs. Alabama

Allstate Sugar Bowl: Michigan vs. Stanford

Discover Orange Bowl: Clemson vs. West Virginia

25yzwqg.png

And if there were a 16-team playoff bracket format like I'd like to see:

1 LSU (SEC Champions)

16 Louisiana Tech (WAC Champions)

8 Arkansas (At-large)

9 Kansas State (At-large)

5 Oregon (PAC-12 Champions)

12 Southern Miss (C-USA Champions)

4 Boise State (At-large)

13 West Virginia (Big East Champions)

6 Stanford (At-large)

11 TCU (Mountain West Champions)

3 Alabama (At-large)

14 Northern Illinois (MAC Champions)

7 Wisconsin (Big 10 Champions)

10 Clemson (ACC Champions)

2 Oklahoma State (Big 12 Champions)

15 Arkansas State (Sun Belt Champions)

I left out USC due to the allegations. But look at all these great match-ups we could have had....

25yzwqg.png

Apparently they were impressed by how well BSU's fanbase traveled to the last two Fiesta Bowls. I think they're also banking on BSU's polarizing nature bringing in ratings.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Apparently they were impressed by how well BSU's fanbase traveled to the last two Fiesta Bowls. I think they're also banking on BSU's polarizing nature bringing in ratings.

I'm a little confused on how the Boise situation works... I thought that the BCS bowls only take a non-AQ if they won their conference. I'm assuming that's just for an automatic bid, though, and it's still up to the bowls to pick and choose, right? I mean, that's kinda why there's all this buzz about Michigan going to the Sugar Bowl somehow

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

AnythingChicago FINAL Standings:

1. LSU (13-0)

2. Oklahoma State (11-1)

3. Alabama (11-1)

4. Boise State (12-1)

5. Oregon (10-2)

6. Stanford (11-1)

7. Wisconsin (10-2)

8. USC (10-2)

9. Arkansas (10-2)

10. South Carolina (10-2)

11. Michigan (10-2)

12. Kansas State (9-2)

13. TCU (9-2)

14. Clemson (10-3)

15. Virginia Tech (11-2)

16. Baylor (9-3)

17. Georgia (10-3)

18. Michigan State (10-3)

19. Southern Miss (11-2)

20. Houston (12-1)

21. Oklahoma (10-3)

22. Nebraska (9-3)

23. Penn State (9-3)

24. West Virginia (9-3)

25. Cincinnati (9-3)

Others receiving votes: Georgia Tech, Florida State, Virginia, Missouri, Texas, Northern Illinois, Arkansas State

AnythingChicago Bowl Projections:

Allstate BCS National Championship Game: LSU vs. Oklahoma State

Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio: Wisconsin vs. Oregon

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl: Boise State vs. Alabama

Allstate Sugar Bowl: Michigan vs. Stanford

Discover Orange Bowl: Clemson vs. West Virginia

TCU and k-state both won yesterday so there 10-2 and k-state should def be ahead of michigan and South Carolina

I'm a little confused on how the Boise situation works... I thought that the BCS bowls only take a non-AQ if they won their conference.

...and finish in the top 16. If they don't, the non-AQ bid goes away and another at-large spot opens up.

That part of the rule hurts TCU. They won yesterday, but it was against UNLV, and it's hard to imagine they'd gain many points from that. And Baylor and Clemson, who are right around them in the rankings, had bigger wins.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

And if there were a 16-team playoff bracket format like I'd like to see:

1 LSU (SEC Champions)

16 Louisiana State (WAC Champions)

I'm confused. Is LSU gonna play an intrasquad game in the first round?

nope the JV team plays in the WAC, gotta keep them sharp right?? :P

Archived