2011-12 European football thread

Viper

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not really true, since their first goal was scored closer to the end of regulation than that goal would've been in relation to extra time, but it does make me wish the Golden Goal existed.

If I never get to see a Game 7 in the Stanley Cup Final go to OT, then I at least want to see equivalent drama in the Champions League Final.

spacer.png

Bayern leads in shots 39-9. Holy Christ.

Drogba and Cech are the heroes right now. I've gotta believe we're going to end up in PKs.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

That's not really true, since their first goal was scored closer to the end of regulation than that goal would've been in relation to extra time, but it does make me wish the Golden Goal existed.

If I never get to see a Game 7 in the Stanley Cup Final go to OT, then I at least want to see equivalent drama in the Champions League Final.

You wouldn't see that drama, though, as both teams would just sit back and let it go to PKs. Why they got rid of it. And why there's a point for an OTL in hockey.

This has been a hell of a last few minutes, though.

6fQjS3M.png

And, at that rate, I find it a bit ridiculous the premise of the championship of Europe being contested by a skills competition. To continue the hockey parallel, a playoff game, let alone a Cup Final game, would never be decided by the shootout.

Though I do concede that seven-eight players aside are trapped on the field for the duration of any game (as in, no line changes) so soccer really manifests itself as a fatiguing sport that would suffer in quality the longer it is played. I guess it is a necessary evil, as unfortunate as it may be.

spacer.png

And, at that rate, I find it a bit ridiculous the premise of the championship of Europe being contested by a skills competition. To continue the hockey parallel, a playoff game, let alone a Cup Final game, would never be decided by the shootout.

Though I do concede that seven-eight players aside are trapped on the field for the duration of any game (as in, no line changes) so soccer really manifests itself as a fatiguing sport that would suffer in quality the longer it is played. I guess it is a necessary evil, as unfortunate as it may be.

That is why some competitions like the FA Cup will replay a match if it ends in a draw. But when you have a single match final and make it out to be as big of an event as the Champions League Final is a replay is just unrealistic. It's a bad way to end the match, but you really don't have another choice.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

HA! Neuer the Bayern keeper scores! Wow. After stopping Chelsea's first shot, he gets his own goal.

And now Cech with a stop! Cole looks to tie the PKs at 3... And does!

SCHWEINSTEIGER HITS THE POST! Drogba on for the winner... AND HE GETS IT! CHELSEA WINS!

Holy crap what a game. What a collapse by Bayern. What a comeback for Chelsea. What a Final.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Well, I can't say I'm happy with the result but what a game. This is why soccer is the greatest sport in the world.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived