Ottawa NASL Concept

dmont

Hamilton used to be the frontrunner for an NASL franchise in Canada, but it's since fallen behind and Ottawa has been awarded a franchise. Here's a concept:

royal_ottawa_logos_jerseycopy.jpg

I've used the scarf banner before, but I think it looks good so I'm going to stick with it until a team actually picks it up. The jersey was inspired by one of the Spanish national team jerseys from a recent World Cup. Any thoughts?

Not that i'm saying something people haven't already said but; this is beautiful!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

From a strictly design standpoint, this is one of the most beautiful concepts I've seen. Very nicely executed.

Practically, though, as a resident of Ottawa, I can say that I'm not sure the ownership group would be too keen on jumping at an overly-British logo and team name, therefore alienating the large population of Francophones we have here.

Really awesome concepts!

love the scarf wrapping around it and that the maple leafs are subtly done and not the main eye catcher.

the jersey with the fat sash thing is just fabulous and nicely includes the sponsor as well. it's an added bonus that the lion is often referred to as the king (crown/royal) of animals and that he has some kind of globe (and with a little fantasy a soccer ball) underneath his paw.

Color wise I like the the one on the top right side.

the only thing about all 3 logos that I don't like so much is the red inside the crown background, just looks a bit crowded to me.

• 2 months later...

An update:

ottawa_intrepid.jpg

1) Name was changed because it was brought to my attention that "Royal Ottawa" is the name of some kind of local mental institution

2) Made it less british/royal because of i) the image of the crown is subject to a trademark, and ii) I was persuaded that the Quebecers in neighbouring Gatineau would feel left out.

3) "Ottawa Intrepid" is the name of an old pro-soccer team from the Ottawa area. The theme of bravery or fearlessness goes nicely with the lion in the middle.

Improvement?

Damn that's nice. Love the scarf.

2 things that bug me are the lion and soccer ball, not nearly as strong as the crest itself.

Might I suggest a more stylized ball and the Peace Tower as a centerpiece?

FYI minor league soccer teams tend to be very approachable, the league as well. I'd send in your idea to the league offices. I know Ottawa is not set on an identity or name yet.

these look great! i am not liking the lion as much as the crown but i think the overall look of the set is there, great job

someone mentioned using the peace tower as the centre piece, i think that was a great idea and you should maybe give that a shot

• 1 year later...

I hope this gets picked up by the team itself, because it looks VERY legit and professional. Well done!

As for the name the team contest, I'm supporting your idea, because you don't hear "the Intrepid" in any sport I can think of. It's very unique.

VHj90kn.png

Archived