Blue Jays to change uniforms for next season

whateverman42

Had a chance to see the full logo... I gotta agree, the complete package looks a lot better than just the sum of its parts.

Isn't the complete package the sum of its parts?

I'm tired... sush.

The complete logo looks a lot better than just the bird head on its own.

Is there a baseball?

Read this: http://www.sportslogos.net/blog/2011/09/22/jays-marlins-2012-logos-leaked/

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick note. My 2 cents.

I hope the boys in Toronto learned a lesson. May sound interesting to change logos and uniforms every 2 or 3 years to make money, sell caps, tees etc, but its the worst idea for a pro team.

Ask yourselves which pro sport teams have the best identity in terms of history, it will never be the teams who changed their graphics every 3 years.

Exemple: The Boston Bruins had a winner uniform BAD in the 70's. The Canadiens have the same concept since the 50's and still have gigantic sales in terms of promotional items.

The Red Sox, Dodgers, all fine exemples..

Stick with it guys in Toronto, you take the right decision but please stop changing eveything.

BLUE Jays MUST have a NICE "T" primary cap as they never have. The current italicized J "initialslug" "T" attempt NO longer counts. General direction of old new new old Jays look is otherwise good. Frankly cartoon critter caps are OK, like the O's, which suggests a Toronto O's Baltimore Blue Jays mish mosh look. A nice script "Blue Jays" home jersey, an ornithological blue jay bird cap logo. Home BLUE pinstrips'd work too. The AMAZING Fabwell's Canadian Baseball Fantasy's ALways included a mooted "What if the Jays and NOT Les Expos entered MLB 1969?" What if Toronto snuck in MLB in the 1962 expansion? Modern Nostalgia, NO way around it, the '12 Jays' Look'll be GREAT... with a NICE "T" cap! :flagcanada:

Mod redacted

I hope the boys in Toronto learned a lesson. May sound interesting to change logos and uniforms every 2 or 3 years to make money, sell caps, tees etc, but its the worst idea for a pro team.

Ask yourselves which pro sport teams have the best identity in terms of history, it will never be the teams who changed their graphics every 3 years.

Exemple: The Boston Bruins had a winner uniform BAD in the 70's. The Canadiens have the same concept since the 50's and still have gigantic sales in terms of promotional items.

Stick with it guys in Toronto, you take the right decision but please stop changing eveything.

What are you even going on about? Also, what is an 'exemple'?

77-96 was basically the same identity, then new owners and an uncertain future caused some of the changes since then. They have a strong brand identity which is why they're returning back to the one that people associate the most with.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Had a chance to see the full logo... I gotta agree, the complete package looks a lot better than just the sum of its parts.

Isn't the complete package the sum of its parts?

I'm tired... sush.

The complete logo looks a lot better than just the bird head on its own.

Is there a baseball?

Read this: http://www.sportslogos.net/blog/2011/09/22/jays-marlins-2012-logos-leaked/

Sounds awesome, thanks.

Comparing a franchise that's been around since the '70s to the Bruins, Canadiens, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc., really isn't fair. The team doesn't have decades of brand equity, nor is the baseball culture there quite the same as it is in those other cities (or the same as the hockey culture in Boston or MTL.) Not all teams have the luxury to sit on their identities for half a century or longer. I hate their most recent change to the BlackJays, but they (from an outsider's perspective) don't appear to be on the same ground as those other teams, and obviously feel that they need a merchandise boost every few years. Hopefully that changes in the future, but it seems like that's how it is now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also consider that by bursting onto the scene in '77 with pretty progressive uniforms, the Blue Jays allowed themselves to keep trying new things over the years. It's not like they ever had a mandate to be a single-layer block-letter team. They've had more misses than hits since '96, and it's funny that their next step in being modern is looking like they did in the '80s, but the point is that the Jays get to play around with things that the Tigers don't and that's okay.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd consider the '96 change to be one level above "tweak" (even if not full overhaul) but the '02 (or '01?) change certainly was an overhaul.

Ice Cap is right, though I'll add that while they set themselves up as a "progressive" team that is able to (if not expected to) update their look every few years, they kind of shot themselves in the foot by getting it so right in '93 when they scrapped the white hat. They managed to take a non-traditional look and tweak it until it became classic, which really kind of F'd them in a really backwards-thinking kind of way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Comparing a franchise that's been around since the '70s to the Bruins, Canadiens, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc., really isn't fair. The team doesn't have decades of brand equity, nor is the baseball culture there quite the same as it is in those other cities (or the same as the hockey culture in Boston or MTL.) Not all teams have the luxury to sit on their identities for half a century or longer. I hate their most recent change to the BlackJays, but they (from an outsider's perspective) don't appear to be on the same ground as those other teams, and obviously feel that they need a merchandise boost every few years. Hopefully that changes in the future, but it seems like that's how it is now.

Those old franchises could have changed their graphic. They did not over some 50 years+

Some 10 , 20 to 30 years franchises who did not change their logo over a long period:

NJ Devils

Calgary Flames

Florida Panthers

Tampa Bay lightning (lets say minor tweaks)

Carolina Hurricanes

Columbus Blue Jackets

Minnesota-Dallas Stars

Minnesota Wild

Nashville Predators

Carolina Panthers

Jacksonville Jaguars

Arizona Cardinals (The Arizona period)

Florida Marlins (Well they are changing now but they sticked with the current for a long time)

10 20 30 years Franchises who changed logo once

Arizona D-Backs

Tampa Bay Rays

Milwaukee Brewers

Baltimore Ravens

Atlanta-Winnipeg Jets

Others? I dont know

10 20 30 years franchises who changed logo more then one time

Toronto Blue Jays

Maybe Washington Capitals.

My point was: they made the good move. Now stop changing.

I'm having a lot of trouble following your chart.

The Brewers have changed their primary logo three times in 40 years, the longest any one has lasted is about fifteen years.

The Tampa Bay Rays have had three logos. The Arizona Cardinals changed theirs just a couple years ago.

What exactly are you trying to say?

Those old franchises could have changed their graphic. They did not over some 50 years+

Some 10 , 20 to 30 years franchises who did not change their logo over a long period:

NJ Devils

Calgary Flames

Florida Panthers

Tampa Bay lightning (lets say minor tweaks)

Carolina Hurricanes

Columbus Blue Jackets

Minnesota-Dallas Stars

Minnesota Wild

Nashville Predators

Carolina Panthers

Jacksonville Jaguars

Arizona Cardinals (The Arizona period)

Florida Marlins (Well they are changing now but they sticked with the current for a long time)

10 20 30 years Franchises who changed logo once

Arizona D-Backs

Tampa Bay Rays

Milwaukee Brewers

Baltimore Ravens

Atlanta-Winnipeg Jets

Others? I dont know

10 20 30 years franchises who changed logo more then one time

Toronto Blue Jays

Maybe Washington Capitals.

My point was: they made the good move. Now stop changing.

Keep in mind that the Jays didn't change their logo for their first 20 years, so the 10 and 20 year teams mean nothing because they may change their logo before they turn 20, or have already changed before they turned 20.

That rules out:

-Florida Panthers

-Thrashers

-Hurricanes

-Predators (If you're gonna count the D-Backs change as a recolourization, then this is, too)

-Minnesota Wild

-Marlins

-Lightning

-D-Backs

-Carolina Panthers

-Jaguars

-Rays

-Brewers

-Ravens

-Jackets

Errors:

-The Jackets have changed their logo once

-The Lightning is hardly what I would call a "minor tweak"

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

So we've all seen the leak of the blue jays cap logo, here's my question though, since I can't tell - Are those caps navy, royal blue, or somewhere in between? It looked like navy to me. Are we going to have four out of five teams in one division embracing the same primary color?

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

So we've all seen the leak of the blue jays cap logo, here's my question though, since I can't tell - Are those caps navy, royal blue, or somewhere in between? It looked like navy to me. Are we going to have four out of five teams in one division embracing the same primary color?

And a better question: since they'll almost surely have an alt., will it be royal or navy? i really hope it's royal. The whole question is: which blue will be the primary?

EDIT: Why did I get an email saying that kevinmets quoted my post?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The new logo is FANTASTIC.

The only change I would have liked to see would be black in place of the navy blue (just to differentiate more from the Rays color scheme). But that's minor, overall this is a tremendous improvement.

Plus I hope the logo will be on a light blue cap, same color as that t-shirt background. Although white front-panel cap wouldn't be so bad either.

You guys are all going to be very surprised how different the colors actually look in comparison to what has been leaked.

Very different.

Interesting....I'm going to take a stab and guess we're looking at powder and royal rather than royal and navy?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived