Blue Jays to change uniforms for next season

whateverman42

Hey, an article just came out in the Toronto Star and the writer seems confident the unis are going to be changed for next season. And for the designers you can email the paper your own designs they'll publish:

Jays making a uniform change

"It?s expected the Blue Jays uniforms will have a new look for the 2012 season, one that will reflect a Canadian theme more than ever.

The team is playing coy as even a mention of a uniform change is hush-hush within the organization. But the change has been in the design phase for months and should be ready for unveiling by the beginning of next season.

Jays players, who wore red caps during the Canada Day weekend series in Toronto, could have a more pronounced maple leaf and red and white colours on the uniform to capture characteristics of the Canadian flag. The Jays have been wearing a bright red maple leaf on the right sleeve of their uniforms since the 2009 season.

With Canadian Brett Lawrie making his home debut Tuesday at the Rogers Centre, the Jays are also anxious to boost emphasis on their national marketing plan in Canada.

That plan blossomed during the World Series years in 1992-93, and saw the Jays play exhibition games in Western Canada. The club this year opened a minor league team in Vancouver and visits seven Canadian cities with a baseball training program featuring former greats like Robbie Alomar and Duane Ward.

Now, Lawrie may help spearhead the latest initiative to boost sales with a new design.

?Part of it is . . . we?ve put a team in Vancouver and we?re also trying to get as much TV exposure in Canada as we can,? Jays president Paul Beeston said. ?But still, we have to perform on the field, that?s our best marketing tool.?

Design a new uniform

More red? A darker blue? Get rid of the black? Retro, futuristic or classic grey and white? Pinstripes or solids? Buttons all the way down or V-neck? A return to the classic logo or a new one altogether? You can decide this and every other detail because we want you to take a crack at drawing a new Blue Jay uniform. Use the blank canvas on Jose Bautista (shown) or email us jpegs of your own illustrations of a new cap and uniform for the team. Send your finished work to fanpix@thestar.ca or see the star.com/sports to enter online.

Download a pdf here and create your own design, then send us your creation at fanpix@thestar.ca and we'll post selections."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jays looked fantastic with red as a secondary in their 1997-2004 set, and the current Canada Day jerseys are also very nice. I'm intrigued by this news and look forward to the unveiling. After all, the maple leaf is appropriate IMO because the Jays are the only Canadian team left in Major League Baseball.

6fQjS3M.png

I honestly don't get the hate for the new look. They all look great, even the unused graphite jerseys. They're the Toronto Blue Jays, not the Canadian Blue Jays. If people want more red/another maple leaf, they can add a small leaf to the back or side of the cap, otherwise things are great as they are. Don't forget how horrible and childish they looked after the original re-brandings in '97 and '03, which aged extremely poorly and quickly. The current ones are modern, sleek and look good on the field. There's no need to change it up yet again just because some people think there's not enough blue or Canadian content(and don't get me started on those that have issues with them dropping the word "Blue" from the wordmark. Everyone calls em the Jays here. The Blue is redundant).

I honestly don't get the hate for the new look. They all look great, even the unused graphite jerseys. They're the Toronto Blue Jays, not the Canadian Blue Jays. If people want more red/another maple leaf, they can add a small leaf to the back or side of the cap, otherwise things are great as they are. Don't forget how horrible and childish they looked after the original re-brandings in '97 and '03, which aged extremely poorly and quickly. The current ones are modern, sleek and look good on the field. There's no need to change it up yet again just because some people think there's not enough blue (and don't get me started on those that have issues with them dropping the word "Blue" from the wordmark. Everyone calls em the Jays here. The Blue is redundant).

The current ones aren't hated because their not Canada enough, it's because there's little to no blue for a team called the BLUE Jays. That and they just looks flat out awful.

I still think they should go back to what they wore in the early '90s and just tweak/modernize it. That has been their best look, and it should be revived BUT tweaked/modernized.

If they end up becoming mostly red, that would be almost as bad as becoming mostly black.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I still think they should go back to what they wore in the early '90s and just tweak/modernize it. That has been their best look, and it should be revived BUT tweaked/modernized.

If they end up becoming mostly red, that would be almost as bad as becoming mostly black.

Almost as bad? To me, any major use of red would be infinitely worse then what they have now... Atleast they sorta evoke a blue jay now. I loathed the 97 changes (and the t-bird thing was even worse) and as much as I absolutely hate their current look, if I had to choose between this, and some great canadian unknown featuring a tonne of red behind door number one, I'd honestly just keep things as they are.

Please - just go back to the 93 set, or some cleaned up "modernized" version of it. Its so obviously the right move - the team seems to be on the verge of some good things.....more wins + glory-days unis = marketable. Ofcourse, that'll never happen....you thought a predominantly black team named 'blue jays' was silly....a bunch of red is gonna be worse. The ironic thing to me is, unless they change the teams name, presumably some blue will have to remain, giving them much more of an american look then a canadian one. Ugh.

There are so many things wrong with the current set. The number font is just awful. The overuse of grey. I actually think black is a good primary color for the Blue Jays. The over-abundance of gray is what drabs them out. Black, blue, and white would be a very solid look. The Royals and Rays have removed black from their color scheme, so a black, blue, and white color scheme would be unique and something to build off of. All of these problems I have stem from the logo. A beveled "Jays" with a two-tone gray? That's why the number font looks so awful. You have a dark graphite gray as the color of the actual number and a lighter gray outline all because of the two grays is the primary. Then you have piping on the pants, but not on the jersey? So it's not the black I have a problem with, it's the grayyyy. The road jersey actually looks okay for current logo. The beveled fonts match the logo better and they have more blue. But I feel that it's only because the road uniform itself is gray and they can't have gray on gray. The black jersey has the same problem as the home jersey. Too much gray. I feel if they were to change the logo itself, they would be able to use for blue. That's my 2 cents.

34s9wcf4auwevbigd2fhvg2fb.gif75bxh84ekthglej0vx1e9qcht.gif

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

I submitted this to the fan contest:

josefashiontista.jpg

I really like the powder blue for they Jays. No MLB team owns powder blue and it is a great way for the Blue Jays to separate themselves from all the other RWB teams, considering they will almost certainly feature red in their new identity. Good job

RS-1.png?t=1312302854Bruins.png?t=1312302924Pats3.png?t=1312302963Cel.png?t=1312303005

Oh God, could this mean there will be just as many, if not more Jays' concepts than there were Winnipeg Jets?

I just don't want to see more red. Pretty much anything powder blue could look better than what they have, and if executed right could be the best unis in the majors.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I honestly don't get the hate for the new look. They all look great, even the unused graphite jerseys. They're the Toronto Blue Jays, not the Canadian Blue Jays. If people want more red/another maple leaf, they can add a small leaf to the back or side of the cap, otherwise things are great as they are. Don't forget how horrible and childish they looked after the original re-brandings in '97 and '03, which aged extremely poorly and quickly. The current ones are modern, sleek and look good on the field. There's no need to change it up yet again just because some people think there's not enough blue or Canadian content(and don't get me started on those that have issues with them dropping the word "Blue" from the wordmark. Everyone calls em the Jays here. The Blue is redundant).

Agreed 1000%

Those '89-'93 uniforms were some of the best in baseball.

The pinwheel cap. The font for the numbers and the lettering. All of it was great.

Even the road jersey was pretty sweet, even though it didn't have the pinwheel cap.

And then they went ahead and ruined it in 1997 with that monstrosity and they haven't been the same since both in terms of on field play and what they looked like.

Just go back to the look they had when they were in the playoffs virtually every single year. I don't understand why that is so hard.

I hate the black. Your team name is Blue Jays. Your primary color by default should be blue. Your not the Black Jays.

Archived