Colorado Rockies Concept... continued

McCall

I did this Rockies concept a few years ago. It's still just the primary for now, but I finally got around to it again and did some cleaning and "tightening up" with it, and it's kind of where I had invisioned it when I started it. Still working on uniforms and such. Have an "alternate primary" that I'll be posting soon.

I did it in the current color scheme of black. purple and silver and one in just purple and silver, to kind of simplify things.

Rockies1.gif

Anyway, have at it if you want.

I like it a lot I think it is actually better than our logo. With that said, I would be disappointed if they changed.

The mountains look good but I feel like with a little work Thayer could look better, they look very flat.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

I really like the bottom version. I would love to see this fleshed out into a full concept with uniforms and such.

I think there's plenty of depth to the mountains while remaining relatively simple, and the Rockies type is perfect. The only thing that seems a bit off is the balance...feels like its leaning a bit to the left, but I'm not sure what you can do about that.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

I really like the bottom version. I would love to see this fleshed out into a full concept with uniforms and such.

I think there's plenty of depth to the mountains while remaining relatively simple, and the Rockies type is perfect. The only thing that seems a bit off is the balance...feels like its leaning a bit to the left, but I'm not sure what you can do about that.

It's due to the serif on the 'R' and the lack of corner on the 'S'. The letters are actually centered properly, but the aforementioned issues causes the bottom of the letters to not appear level or balanced. It's something I've been racking my brain over, but I can't seem to fix it without changing the font.

Personally I think the slight imbalance adds to the "realism" of it. Mountain's aren't usually perfectly symmetrical. The Mountain shape you have is symmetrical, but the shading and the snow caps aren't. The shaping of the "Rockies" wordmark with the slight asymmetry looks very fitting, in my opinion.

As for the overall looks, the purple and silver alone really strikes me as something nice. Dropping the black in that version looks like the team is trying to drop the 90's black fad in sports designs once and for all.

Can't wait to see the uniforms you make with this, it should be a solid overall look.

TDZiMMB.png

I did this Rockies concept a few years ago. It's still just the primary for now, but I finally got around to it again and did some cleaning and "tightening up" with it, and it's kind of where I had invisioned it when I started it. Still working on uniforms and such. Have an "alternate primary" that I'll be posting soon.

I did it in the current color scheme of black. purple and silver and one in just purple and silver, to kind of simplify things.

Rockies1.gif

This is really strong work, but here's something to think about:

We often criticize basketball teams for using basketballs in their logos, or hockey teams for using hockey equipment, etc., often asking if it's really necessary ("oh, you mean Lakers basketball team".)

In this case, the nickname refers directly to an object in the logo that has nothing to do with the sport. Basically, it could be seen as a logo for the actual "Colorado Rockies" - like a national park or a logo for a tour or something. It's very rare that these types of things come up, but here's one case where some sport-specific imagery could clear up some potential ambiguity.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't know if it's my monitor here at work or not, but they appear to be a little "squished" down, like the height of the logo is being flattened. It doesn't appear as it does on my laptop at home or even on my iPhone. Anybody else ever have something like that happen between monitors? I know the coloring can appear different, but I've never seen the height/width of a logo altered.

We often criticize basketball teams for using basketballs in their logos, or hockey teams for using hockey equipment, etc., often asking if it's really necessary ("oh, you mean Lakers basketball team".)

In this case, the nickname refers directly to an object in the logo that has nothing to do with the sport. Basically, it could be seen as a logo for the actual "Colorado Rockies" - like a national park or a logo for a tour or something. It's very rare that these types of things come up, but here's one case where some sport-specific imagery could clear up some potential ambiguity.

what he could do is just add the baseball and swoosh from the current logo

If you add a flying baseball to the logo, you should be careful. A badly done baseball could take this down to minor league.

I have faith you could do it properly though. I really like this start here, it just needs something more.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Rockies1.gif

The top one has such an unnatural band where it says Colorado and the purple mountain above it. Something about that area is missing something. Either adding grey mountain highlights and pulling them down towards the words, or... I dunno. What if you added a black shadow to part of the mountain's center and had the black touch the band?

Rockies1.gif

I think the generic crossing bats would work really well here to get rid of that problem, and plus would probably look good.

I'm loving the logo on the whole though, and would like to see what you do for uniforms. Any ideas for a cap logo?

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Here's a different colorway, for those who advocate green and purple for the Rockies. It's simple, just swapping black for green. I did a couple, due to the way green and purple work together, I almost think a purple wordmark looks better, but I'll let you guys judge for yourself.

Rockies3.gif

EDIT: Ok, just noticed, on the bottom one, the trim around "Rockies" is silver. Was supposed to be white. I'll correct that and post it later.

I've got a fantasy football draft tonight, but I'll try and get a couple other things done in the next day or two.

Archived