Wacom's Inkling

Rayman

i dont know what other topic folder to put this in but anyway did anyone hear about the new Inkling from Wacom?

Wacom-inkling-sample-components.jpg

here's their link and

of it.

First off i love it !! quickly transfering sketches into vectors onto your computer..

the only problem i see is that you can't erase( as of right now) but you could always sketch it in pencil and then trace it with the pen..

Tell me what you guys think about the new product and if you would buy it or not (its $200 and comes out mid September)

Actually $200 is a very good and cheap price. The smallest Wacom tablet sells for $230. So the freedom that comes from this pen actually makes it a much better tool to use than any tablet, because you're not confined to a tablet, but can quickly sketch something trace it using the pen and start working on it.

It looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure I could ever use it. Based on the one video, my fingers would get in the way of the sensor, as I like to hold my pen/pencil very low.

yea thats the main concern for me too.. i hold my fingers right at the tip.. but i think after awhile you will get used to it

Woah, that looks extremely useful. I have a Wacom Bamboo tablet, but it just isn't ideal for sketching out ideas. I find it difficult to look at the screen while drawing something with my hand. To be able to physically draw on paper would be a huge plus. I would love something like this so I wouldn't have to scan every single sketch I do. And 200 bucks definitely doesn't seem like too bad of a price.

I must have this.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Actually $200 is a very good and cheap price. The smallest Wacom tablet sells for $230. So the freedom that comes from this pen actually makes it a much better tool to use than any tablet, because you're not confined to a tablet, but can quickly sketch something trace it using the pen and start working on it.

That's not entirely true. You can get the wacom bamboo for about 100. Not all the features but that's what I use at home and it's fine.

I do agree this is well worth it if it works!

To me, this is the best thing ever if it works as advertised. Nothing compares to pencil/ pen and paper, even great wacom tech like the cintiq tablets and monitors (which i use in design studio constantly)... it would be amazing to have all of my sketches converted into digital files without the hastle of scanning, etc. Id buy one of these in a heartbeat

zPfTNXq_sm_zpsu3fsswbz.jpg 8DRvuUI_sm_zpsthbhbnio.jpg

Maurer_icons-02_zps7dcbd790.png Maurer_icons-01_zpsfee43a9b.png

Oh, thats great. I've never used a tablet, but this would be so cool. Not to brag or anything, but I whip up some mean sketches in my school notebooks, and never have them come out quite right on the computer. I'm not going to go get the tablet, but that really is cool

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

i think it looks cool. im much better on paper than a wacom tablet, so i could definitely find use in this. it would make whatever im working on inside of Ai more like what i can do on paper but thats not the end of the process. i have a feeling the line quality once vectorized will be very "live trace" like. unless you're going for that rough sketchy look, you still need the pen tool and pathfinder palette to build your art work. especially logos.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Oh, thats great. I've never used a tablet, but this would be so cool. Not to brag or anything, but I whip up some mean sketches in my school notebooks, and never have them come out quite right on the computer. I'm not going to go get the tablet, but that really is cool

this isnt a tablet.. its just a clip n a pen that involves a sensor

IF you sketch it in pencil and then outline it in pen, you can hold your pen higher. I was thinking the same thing, about the issue of how I hold a pen. I'm a lefty that holds the pen pretty low, but if I sketch something out first and then outline it, I can relax and hold my pencil/pen a little further back so the sensor would get it all.

That and $200 is dirty cheap for this stuff, I've spent a lot on some of their higher end tablets, something innovative like this being this cheap is great. But like others, I too want to try it out first, but I am betting I'll end up buying it anyway.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

IF you sketch it in pencil and then outline it in pen, you can hold your pen higher. I was thinking the same thing, about the issue of how I hold a pen. I'm a lefty that holds the pen pretty low, but if I sketch something out first and then outline it, I can relax and hold my pencil/pen a little further back so the sensor would get it all.

That and $200 is dirty cheap for this stuff, I've spent a lot on some of their higher end tablets, something innovative like this being this cheap is great. But like others, I too want to try it out first, but I am betting I'll end up buying it anyway.

Cant agree with you anymore VC// ...i just dont want the glitches and bugs that go along with it as it first comes out tho.. but like you said.. ill prolly get it right away anyway lol

• 2 months later...

I'm really looking to get one of these...has anyone tried one out in the past few months since this discussion launched?

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

• 1 month later...

Personally, I don't think I would like this or this would work well.

For starters, I can't see how it would smoothly and accurately place my arcs and points precisely enough to my liking...and I would end up editing the image in Illustrator anyhow- except I feel it would be painful because because it would be a lot of little errors and adjustments.

I'd rather scan it and let the accuracy of my hand and mouse take care of the rest.

Again, I haven't used it...but that was my first thought.

Archived