College Football (FBS) Fan Bases

29texan

Eastern Montana has a lot of Vikings fans, especially in towns closest to North Dakota.

And tajmccall is right about North Dakota and South Dakota being probably stronger Vikings fans than in Minnesota. I semi-seriously joke that a new Vikings stadium would have already been built if the North Dakota or South Dakota legislatures had a say, except it would be somewhere between Fargo and Sioux Falls.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is cool idea, but anyone can just guess. This is a research intensive project that should be done correctly. As far as presentation, I think you should try to mimic the NFL map more.

Did someone say research? Nate Silver of the New York Times just posted this article on the very topic as it relates to conference expansion.

It includes a link to the CommonCensus Sports Map Project that has accumulated data on fan bases. The site is unfortunately crashing right now, because the New York Times just linked to it, but I was able to grab this map

ncaaf_1280.gif

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

This is cool idea, but anyone can just guess. This is a research intensive project that should be done correctly. As far as presentation, I think you should try to mimic the NFL map more.

Did someone say research? Nate Silver of the New York Times just posted this article on the very topic as it relates to conference expansion.

It includes a link to the CommonCensus Sports Map Project that has accumulated data on fan bases. The site is unfortunately crashing right now, because the New York Times just linked to it, but I was able to grab this map

ncaaf_1280.gif

Well that's certainly helpful.... (**)

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

That map suggests that large swaths of the south have no allegiance. That is simply not true. My portion of NW Tennessee is die hard Vol fans (as is most of the state except Memphis and Nashville).

That map is obviously incomplete and even says on it that it's inaccurate. I mean, it shows there's no Eastern Michigan fans in Michigan, but there's 19 of them in the middle of Montana. It'll still nice to go off on basis though.

It says most of Alabama belongs to Auburn and that's definitely not right

Same with Georgia and Georgia Tech. I'd say 75 percent of football fans in Georgia are Georgia fans.

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

ncaaf_1280.gif

Gotta love those rowdy Montanan Eastern Michigan fans.

Tf9TG.jpg

ncaaf_1280.gif

Gotta love those rowdy Montanan Eastern Michigan fans.

There almost as passionate as them Wyoming Northwestern fans.

Idk about that map with respects to Florida.

Anywhere you go in the state, Gators fans are everywhere. It's like the defacto team people root for. Before the past 5 years when USF started to improve, the main coverage of college teams in the Tampa Bay area was UF or FSU. Miami got little or no coverage, and that map makes it appear as though the Miami fanbase runs throughout the center of the state and more towards the Tampa Bay area, maybe more south in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. Either way, most areas on the Florida west coast are Gators and Seminoles.

The St. Pete times coverage over the past decade usually has a dedicated page to both UF and FSU, now USF as well, and maybe a snippet about Miami.

The USF fanship has only recently risen with the success of the athletics. I would still say the state is dominated by UF fans, secondly FSU fans, and after that a mixture of Miami, USF, and then UCF.

I realize what he is going off of in the map, I'm just speaking from experience in the area for myself.

2ly2w09.jpg

The Georgia to Georgia Tech fan ratio in the metro Atlanta and north GA area alone is probably somewhere around 7/3, favoring UGA. This map indicates a huge amount of Tech fans.

I agree, I'm right in the middle of Athens, and Atlanta and my friends at school are Mostly Georgia fans, then GA Tach, then Florida, then Miami, and lastly Ohio State.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Idk about that map with respects to Florida.

Anywhere you go in the state, Gators fans are everywhere. It's like the defacto team people root for. Before the past 5 years when USF started to improve, the main coverage of college teams in the Tampa Bay area was UF or FSU. Miami got little or no coverage, and that map makes it appear as though the Miami fanbase runs throughout the center of the state and more towards the Tampa Bay area, maybe more south in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. Either way, most areas on the Florida west coast are Gators and Seminoles.

The St. Pete times coverage over the past decade usually has a dedicated page to both UF and FSU, now USF as well, and maybe a snippet about Miami.

The USF fanship has only recently risen with the success of the athletics. I would still say the state is dominated by UF fans, secondly FSU fans, and after that a mixture of Miami, USF, and then UCF.

I realize what he is going off of in the map, I'm just speaking from experience in the area for myself.

Yeah I grew up near Tampa and even lived in Orlando briefly, and UCF may as well not even exist there. Outside of a few small pockets right near the school its all UF.

niagaraq.png

Archived