Do the Browns ever wear brown?

Buffalo

This is the only thing I'll comment on from ART's post.

Perhaps the Knights should move to Cleveland, call themselves the 'Barons', and let all of you just keep your nickname, colors, and team history and hopefully one day you'll get another team back. :grin:

I may live in London, but I didn't grow up here. I'm not a Knights fan. I grew up in Kitchener, I'm an OHL Rangers fan. Check out the signature. If you're going to play the "how would you feel if your team moved?" card, at least get the team right.

I like the Browns jerseys. I know I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the newer, darker shade of brown.

I don't like the darker brown. I'd like it more maybe if they somehow incorporated the gray from their facemask into the uniform somehow. Having the gray against the brown may make it look more distinctly brown as opposed to almost black. I wouldn't touch the single-color numbers - I think that's a feature that's way underrated and underused in today's NFL - but maybe work gray into the striping somehow. It really looks great on the helmet (only GFGS helmet I like) and I think they could use it more. I'm not sure if I'd go as far as the Giants and put them in flat gray pants, but on the other hand, that might actually work well for them.

I tend to agree with you about grey and the Browns scheme. It works so well in the realm of men's fashion. I wouldn't be opposed to injecting a little grey into the Browns' uniform from the neck down. Of course this means modernizing a classic, but with the way sleeve stripes are vanishing these days maybe a slight tweak to the Browns' overall look wouldn't be the worst thing.

I don't like the darker brown either. It's too close to black. I want to see ORANGE and BROWN. I don't want a light brown or anything like that, but I want it to be a solid, almost common brown. I think it works better with the orange.

As for the gray... by no means should it be part of the actual pants or jerseys. However, I think they gray facemask works great with the uniform. The Browns have a classic look when it comes to the colors and the stripes and even to the extent of not having a logo on the helmet. The gray facemask is a design from the past when all teams had gray facemasks. Because of that, the gray facemask works because it sort of completes the set of throwback/classic elements. It also works great with the Colts' look. Now, one example of it failing miserably is the Arizona Cardinals. The Cardinals may have the most modern designed uniforms in the league, yet they insist on having a gray, throwback style facemask. Whether it was their intention or not, its how it comes across.

Back to the Browns. The white facemask just looks bad. It looks like a cross between gumball plastic helmets and a grade school helmet. It just sticks out.

I like the darker brown a lot. Coupled with the brighter orange, the contrast is really something to behold. They've got a really lively uniform. I feel the uniform was a little muddy in previous decades, but now it looks crisp because of that contrast.

I agree about the gray facemask. I was thinking about this the other day. A gray facemask is less a design element than it is a statement. It says this is a cage. It says toughness. It says gritty. It says I'm all business, no flash. In short, it says football, and that's why I like it, as long as it's paired with a uniform that says football as well, as opposed to the jester suits that the Cardinals and Falcons wear.

Ice_Cap: It's pretty rare when a team with 50 years of history in one location is moved. I would expect a similar reaction if the Vikings are moved. Whether the franchise records, name and colors would remain in Minnesota if the team moved is unknown, but there would certainly be an uproar of epic proportion. The Vikings have just as much history (in a sense of time) as the Browns did at the time of their move. They don't have any championships, but they are still supported by a pretty large fanbase (geographically speaking).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why aren't they wearing the Brown jerseys at home? They go in phases when they wear white all the time to back to brown home, white away. If I were king, they'd be orange/brown/white home and orange/white/white road with the option of orange pants. Put the white mask back on the helmet and for the heck of it, put the <=B=> on each side of the helmet (ducks all the stones being thrown at me). As far as the Browns/Ravens, the best way for me to "imagine" it is that the Browns folded up shop. The Ravens were an expansion team. Browns players needed a place to play, so they hired all the ex-Browns. Years later, Cleveland re-opened their Browns program with all new guys since there's were long gone. If the Cleveland franchise was a different name, I'd say the old Browns became the Ravens.

>>>>>

That's very well said .... goodpost.gif

I look upon it in the same way as I stated in my post prior.

I only wish the Houston had been granted the same thing. Tennesseans wanted their own identity which they got when they shifted to Nashville from Memphis when their new stadium was ready, and after all this time the old Oiler fans in Houston no longer wish to be associated. That's the reason why the Oilers AFL apparel was among the lowest in sales out of all the 8 original AFL clubs, and those were among the very best.

I believe the NBA gave the 'Cleveland Browns deal' to Seattle for the Supersonics for when and if they get a team back .... as they should have done.

Ice_Cap: It's pretty rare when a team with 50 years of history in one location is moved. I would expect a similar reaction if the Vikings are moved. Whether the franchise records, name and colors would remain in Minnesota if the team moved is unknown, but there would certainly be an uproar of epic proportion. The Vikings have just as much history (in a sense of time) as the Browns did at the time of their move. They don't have any championships, but they are still supported by a pretty large fanbase (geographically speaking).

Lets say Jerry Jones decides he's moving the Dallas Cowboys to Las Vegas for the 2012 season. The NFL agrees, but only if he leaves the team name, colors, history, and etc with the city of Dallas and the city is guaranteed a brand new NFL team that will be called the Cowboys once again in 2016. Should the Dallas fans be happy and not have any hatred towards Jones after 2016? hahaha....the city of Dallas and their fanbase would ALWAYS be bitter over the the move, ragardless that they were gauranteed a new team. It's called passion and love for the team.

People can roll their eyes all they want, but this is somthing that is hard to understand if you do not come from a diehard sports city (no, this isn't a "It's a Cleveland Thing" speech...its about ALL real sports towns).

My Cowboys scenario is a perfect example of how other cities would act exactly the same way Cleveland did and still does.

As for the Vikings, if they move, I'm pretty sure the team name, logos, history, and etc will remain in Minnesota. And yes, that state and their fanbase will be forever scared by it.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

I like the Browns jerseys. I know I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the newer, darker shade of brown.

I don't like the darker brown. I'd like it more maybe if they somehow incorporated the gray from their facemask into the uniform somehow. Having the gray against the brown may make it look more distinctly brown as opposed to almost black. I wouldn't touch the single-color numbers - I think that's a feature that's way underrated and underused in today's NFL - but maybe work gray into the striping somehow. It really looks great on the helmet (only GFGS helmet I like) and I think they could use it more. I'm not sure if I'd go as far as the Giants and put them in flat gray pants, but on the other hand, that might actually work well for them.

That's not a bad idea at all. I think it could look pretty cool if done right. With regard to the brown, I prefer the darker brown because, to me at least, it provides a better contrast with the orange in the stripes and helmet.

For some strange reason, I've been thinking about this a lot this afternoon, and now think that gray pants would really be great for them. Maybe gray with the brown jersey and brown (with stripes) with the white, or even gray with both.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Lets say Jerry Jones decides he's moving the Dallas Cowboys to Las Vegas for the 2012 season. The NFL agrees, but only if he leaves the team name, colors, history, and etc with the city of Dallas and the city is guaranteed a brand new NFL team that will be called the Cowboys once again in 2016. Should the Dallas fans be happy and not have any hatred towards Jones after 2016? hahaha....the city of Dallas and their fanbase would ALWAYS be bitter over the the move, ragardless that they were gauranteed a new team. It's called passion and love for the team.

People can roll their eyes all they want, but this is somthing that is hard to understand if you do not come from a diehard sports city (no, this isn't a "It's a Cleveland Thing" speech...its about ALL real sports towns).

My Cowboys scenario is a perfect example of how other cities would act exactly the same way Cleveland did and still does.

As for the Vikings, if they move, I'm pretty sure the team name, logos, history, and etc will remain in Minnesota. And yes, that state and their fanbase will be forever scared by it.

So, I read all these paragraphs to find out that you simply agree with me and are reiterating the point I just made? :-)

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Ice_Cap: It's pretty rare when a team with 50 years of history in one location is moved. I would expect a similar reaction if the Vikings are moved. Whether the franchise records, name and colors would remain in Minnesota if the team moved is unknown, but there would certainly be an uproar of epic proportion.

I don't think they will switch colors - Los Angeles has a history with teams in purple and yellow.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Ice_Cap: It's pretty rare when a team with 50 years of history in one location is moved. I would expect a similar reaction if the Vikings are moved. Whether the franchise records, name and colors would remain in Minnesota if the team moved is unknown, but there would certainly be an uproar of epic proportion.

I don't think they will switch colors - Los Angeles has a history with teams in purple and yellow.

What would be really sad for the Minnesota is if the city loses two teams to relocation. That would definitely sting. First the Lakers and now potentially the Vikings...ouch.

Back on topic, I say whatever team moves to L.A. they will take their records and uniforms with them. Unless it is St. Louis, they may change back to the existing L.A. Rams attire.

spacer.png

This is the only thing I'll comment on from ART's post.

Perhaps the Knights should move to Cleveland, call themselves the 'Barons', and let all of you just keep your nickname, colors, and team history and hopefully one day you'll get another team back. :grin:

I may live in London, but I didn't grow up here. I'm not a Knights fan. I grew up in Kitchener, I'm an OHL Rangers fan. Check out the signature. If you're going to play the "how would you feel if your team moved?" card, at least get the team right.

I tend to agree with you about grey and the Browns scheme. It works so well in the realm of men's fashion. I wouldn't be opposed to injecting a little grey into the Browns' uniform from the neck down. Of course this means modernizing a classic, but with the way sleeve stripes are vanishing these days maybe a slight tweak to the Browns' overall look wouldn't be the worst thing.

I don't like the darker brown either. It's too close to black. I want to see ORANGE and BROWN. I don't want a light brown or anything like that, but I want it to be a solid, almost common brown. I think it works better with the orange.

As for the gray... by no means should it be part of the actual pants or jerseys. However, I think they gray facemask works great with the uniform. The Browns have a classic look when it comes to the colors and the stripes and even to the extent of not having a logo on the helmet. The gray facemask is a design from the past when all teams had gray facemasks. Because of that, the gray facemask works because it sort of completes the set of throwback/classic elements. It also works great with the Colts' look. Now, one example of it failing miserably is the Arizona Cardinals. The Cardinals may have the most modern designed uniforms in the league, yet they insist on having a gray, throwback style facemask. Whether it was their intention or not, its how it comes across.

Back to the Browns. The white facemask just looks bad. It looks like a cross between gumball plastic helmets and a grade school helmet. It just sticks out.

I like the darker brown a lot. Coupled with the brighter orange, the contrast is really something to behold. They've got a really lively uniform. I feel the uniform was a little muddy in previous decades, but now it looks crisp because of that contrast.

I agree about the gray facemask. I was thinking about this the other day. A gray facemask is less a design element than it is a statement. It says this is a cage. It says toughness. It says gritty. It says I'm all business, no flash. In short, it says football, and that's why I like it, as long as it's paired with a uniform that says football as well, as opposed to the jester suits that the Cardinals and Falcons wear.

totally agree. (except about ATL and ARZ, i love those uniforms) im for grey face mask on uniforms that have a traditional design. i dont mind the Bills helmet but think it would benefit from Blue. same with Arizona and red or black mask but thats another topic. with grey mask comes that connotation of something vintage. it takes you right back to when mask were first being put on the helmets. it will never be associated with modern design, its always going to be a throwback look. so it works really well on a uniform thats basically the same it was 50 years ago. and looks odd on something modern.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

What would be really sad for the Minnesota is if the city loses two teams to relocation. That would definitely sting. First the Lakers and now potentially the Vikings...ouch.

Back on topic, I say whatever team moves to L.A. they will take their records and uniforms with them. Unless it is St. Louis, they may change back to the existing L.A. Rams attire.

Back on topic... you mean talking about the Browns uniform and their propensity, or lack there of, to wear the brown jersey?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived