Do the Browns ever wear brown?

Buffalo

Baltimore fans are over it? What Baltimore fans have you been around? I still hear people from Baltimore and old Colt'/new Ravens fans cry about. My issue is the Baltimore fans who loath losing the Colts but then tell Cleveland fans to get over it. Its hypocritical.

That is my experience well. Before Super Bowl XLI, a Chicago sport talk show had on a host from Baltimore who gave a passionate speech about how the Irsays are scum for depriving him of his childhood, breaking his grandfather's heart, the wounds never healed, the Ravens just aren't the same, etc. He pleaded for the Bears to provide sanctity to the universe by defeating the Colts. Seriously, it was about a 3 minute speech, and from the sounds of it there were tears rolling down the guy's face.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baltimore fans had no such assurances and had to wait 13 years (and a go through a flawed (rigged(?)) expansion process) before a new team arrived.

Please explain.

I used the (?) because I can only offer the common perception in these parts. That being said, it seemed like Paul Tagliabue did everything in his power to make sure Charlotte and Jacksonville received teams (delayed the vote on the second team, begged Wayne Weaver to stay in the race when he was ready to drop out) even though many owners believed Baltimore and/or St. Louis offered better alternatives for the league.

Certainly, hindsight has shown that Baltimore has turned out to be a better market than Jacksonville. However, that has nothing to do with the expansion process.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/07/23/sports/football-jacksonville-out-of-nfl-hunt.html

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

And yeah, don't be so bitter, Cleveland. Kick back, relax, and enjoy your 4-12 season!

Hmmmm....

2011 Cleveland Browns - 3 losses

2011 New York Jets - 3 losses

Lifetime

Cleveland Browns

NFL Championships - 4

Record - 501-417

New York Jets

NFL Championships - 1

Record - 363-426

If you're going to throw juvenile jabs at another team on a uniform forum, at least have a better franchise. The Jets have been a joke for ages and only recently have been relevant and that window is closing with the Bills taking their place along side the Patriots in the AFC East.

:D

Technically, the Browns have 8 Championships, as the NFL recognizes AAFC Championships as League Championships.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Baltimore fans had no such assurances and had to wait 13 years (and a go through a flawed (rigged(?)) expansion process) before a new team arrived.

Please explain.

I used the (?) because I can only offer the common perception in these parts. That being said, it seemed like Paul Tagliabue did everything in his power to make sure Charlotte and Jacksonville received teams (delayed the vote on the second team, begged Wayne Weaver to stay in the race when he was ready to drop out) even though many owners believed Baltimore and/or St. Louis offered better alternatives for the league.

Certainly, hindsight has shown that Baltimore has turned out to be a better market than Jacksonville. However, that has nothing to do with the expansion process.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/07/23/sports/football-jacksonville-out-of-nfl-hunt.html

I always thought that Jacksonville was a worst-case scenario for the NFL that actually came to pass. I thought the NFL was set on Charlotte and St. Louis, which turned into Charlotte and Baltimore once the St. Louis bid fell through, and it was only after the Baltimore bid collapsed that Jacksonville got a team.

I remember reading an article in SI (or Sport or one of the other mags) when the expansion process was going on where it was speculated that Baltimore and to a lesser extent STL were the "LA"s of the early '90s - the league wanted to have them available as bargaining chips, but wasn't really serious about putting teams there.

Also, I never would have thought it possible for a thread about Cleveland to be Clevejacked. It defies logic that it's even possible, but here we are.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And yeah, don't be so bitter, Cleveland. Kick back, relax, and enjoy your 4-12 season!

Hmmmm....

Lifetime

Cleveland Browns

NFL Championships - 4

Record - 501-417

New York Jets

NFL Championships - 1

Record - 363-426

If you're going to throw juvenile jabs at another team on a uniform forum, at least have a better franchise. The Jets have been a joke for ages and only recently have been relevant and that window is closing with the Bills taking their place along side the Patriots in the AFC East.

Technically, the Browns have 8 Championships, as the NFL recognizes AAFC Championships as League Championships.

It is very odd that they do. Yes, 8 Championships technically, but I only count the NFL one.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

I always thought that Jacksonville was a worst-case scenario for the NFL that actually came to pass. I thought the NFL was set on Charlotte and St. Louis, which turned into Charlotte and Baltimore once the St. Louis bid fell through, and it was only after the Baltimore bid collapsed that Jacksonville got a team.

I thought this as well. I also heard that the NFL was trying to push for Columbus instead of Jacksonville, but some local college called Ohio State was using their muscle to keep any and all NFL and NBA teams away. I'd love to read a book about the shadey dealings involved on the bidding wars and everything else that is involved with a city getting/losing a professional franchise. If one does exsist, any recommendations?

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

I never would have thought it possible for a thread about Cleveland to be Clevejacked. It defies logic that it's even possible, but here we are.

It's a "jackadox."

Could there be a discrepancy in the definition of Clevejacking?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I never would have thought it possible for a thread about Cleveland to be Clevejacked. It defies logic that it's even possible, but here we are.

It's a "jackadox."

Could there be a discrepancy in the definition of Clevejacking?

"Discrepancy?" I'm not sure what it is you're asking. If you're asking if this thread fits the definition of "Cleve-jacking", the answer is yes. You guys totally Cleve-jacked this thread. It started out as a legitimate discussion about the Browns and their uniforms. Now you're arguing over how many championships they have, who was responsible for the move, and you're calling out other fans. As illogical as it sounds, a thread about Cleveland has been Cleve-jacked. Well done.

BB52Big.jpg

Hmmmm....

Lifetime

Cleveland Browns

NFL Championships - 4

Record - 501-417

New York Jets

NFL Championships - 1

Record - 363-426

If we're going to do THIS, then the Jets have 2 championships -- Super Bowl III & the 1968 AFL title.

As for the Browns, they were WILD CARD CHAMPIONS in 2002. Pretty sure that's it. Way to go, Cleveland!

6uXNWAo.png

I also heard that the NFL was trying to push for Columbus instead of Jacksonville

That sounds like someone in the media with an incorrect number of chromosomes speculating. Why in the world would the NFL think freaking Ohio could support three teams?

Agreed. Sound more like fan speculation than a real possibility.

Hmmmm....

Lifetime

Cleveland Browns

NFL Championships - 4

Record - 501-417

New York Jets

NFL Championships - 1

Record - 363-426

If we're going to do THIS, then the Jets have 2 championships -- Super Bowl III & the 1968 AFL title.

As for the Browns, they were WILD CARD CHAMPIONS in 2002. Pretty sure that's it. Way to go, Cleveland!

The jets never had a chance to win an NFL Championship that wasn't a super bowl, but congrats on those NFL titles in the 40's and 50's that nobody cares about, and the AAFC was a horrible league, only a few teams survived from it, and the Jets weren't created till the 60's. So basically the Browns still suck.

I also heard that the NFL was trying to push for Columbus instead of Jacksonville

That sounds like someone in the media with an incorrect number of chromosomes speculating. Why in the world would the NFL think freaking Ohio could support three teams?

For a time, there was some talk of having the Browns play a season or two at the Horseshoe while the old stadium was renovated but it was nothing more than talk show fodder. Maybe that's what he's thinking of. Columbus was never in the mix for an NFL team.

BB52Big.jpg

That, I'm not sure. But this always came up when the Cardinals were looking for a bidder once they decided to leave St Louis. The local Columbus newspaper? Who knows, but I def remember hearing about both.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

The jets never had a chance to win an NFL Championship that wasn't a super bowl, but congrats on those NFL titles in the 40's and 50's that nobody cares about, and the AAFC was a horrible league, only a few teams survived from it, and the Jets weren't created till the 60's. So basically the Browns still suck.

All those championships in the 40s and 50s belong to the BALTIMORE RAVENS -- or did Mr. Modell hand those trophys over to Cleveland when he took the franchise with him to Baltimore?

6uXNWAo.png

Archived