Do the Browns ever wear brown?

Buffalo

Agreed. Sound more like fan speculation than a real possibility.

That, I'm not sure. But this always came up when the Cardinals were looking for a bidder once they decided to leave St Louis. The local Columbus newspaper? Who knows, but I def remember hearing about both.

If I recall a previous discussion on the topic the Cards expressed mild curiosity with Columbus, but that vanished after meeting with local leadership. Kind of like they lost all interest once they realized it wouldn't ever work.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we're going to do THIS, then the Jets have 2 championships -- Super Bowl III & the 1968 AFL title.

As for the Browns, they were WILD CARD CHAMPIONS in 2002. Pretty sure that's it. Way to go, Cleveland!

The jets never had a chance to win an NFL Championship that wasn't a super bowl, but congrats on those NFL titles in the 40's and 50's that nobody cares about, and the AAFC was a horrible league, only a few teams survived from it, and the Jets weren't created till the 60's. So basically the Browns still suck.

All those championships in the 40s and 50s belong to the BALTIMORE RAVENS -- or did Mr. Modell hand those trophys over to Cleveland when he took the franchise with him to Baltimore?

To bitch about Cleve-jacking when you're participating in it is unbecoming Curt. B)

BB52Big.jpg

To bitch about Cleve-jacking when you're participating in it is unbecoming Curt. B)

Simply asking questions to those who know Cleveland history best. I like to be well-informed, you know? ;)

6uXNWAo.png

Plus he didn't read his own link - the reason the Browns didn't have the 1964 trophy is because in the pre-Super Bowl era the Thorp Memorial Trophy was passed on to the next NFL champion, like the Stanley Cup.

Teams sometimes made replicas of it to keep in their trophy cases, but not always. I'm not even sure if the Packers did, and they won it eight times.

1.) There is no argument about the number of Championships. It is officially 8.

2.) All I said was, it would be interesting to see a 30-for-30 movie about everything, after others brought it up.

3.) Only brought up other fans when they brought it up themselves, first.

I guess the discrepancy could be whether jacking means they are hijacking the thread, or if they are stroking themselves and the City.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

1.) There is no argument about the number of Championships. It is officially 8.

True, I'm still amazed they recognize the AAFC.

2.) All I said was, it would be interesting to see a 30-for-30 movie about everything, after others brought it up.

Love to see this.

3.) Only brought up other fans when they brought it up themselves, first.

I guess the discrepancy could be whether jacking means they are hijacking the thread, or if they are stroking themselves and the City.

I think the fan base (of the team and/or only just the iconic/classic uniforms) is deep enough to the point where it's only natural for the Browns to come up in many uniform threads...regardless of the original topic.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

I think the fan base (of the team and/or iconic uniforms) is deep enough to the point where it's only natural for a the Browns to come up in many uniform threads...regardless of the original topic.

Part of the reason this topic got out of hand was partly my fault due to my hatred of Modell and Lerner and for that I apologize.

spacer.png

Plus he didn't read his own link - the reason the Browns didn't have the 1964 trophy is because in the pre-Super Bowl era the Thorp Memorial Trophy was passed on to the next NFL champion, like the Stanley Cup.

Teams sometimes made replicas of it to keep in their trophy cases, but not always. I'm not even sure if the Packers did, and they won it eight times.

The Packers kept the trophy after the 1965 season, I believe. Isn't the original in their Hall of Fame?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The jets never had a chance to win an NFL Championship that wasn't a super bowl, but congrats on those NFL titles in the 40's and 50's that nobody cares about, and the AAFC was a horrible league, only a few teams survived from it, and the Jets weren't created till the 60's. So basically the Browns still suck.

So, why exactly are titles won before the Super Bowl era considered the ones that 'nobody cares about?' Titles are titles, no matter when they happen, and there aren't a lot of teams that have 4 NFL titles. Congrats on that one NFL title in 1969 that nobody cares about.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I feel like I need to preface this based on the current discussion with, yes I live in Cleveland, but I am not from here, and am not a Browns fan.

However, I'd like to make a comment about the uniforms per the title of the thread. One simple fix to the pants, switch the orange-brown-orange around. Have 2 brown stripes on the outside like the helmet.

The Packers kept the trophy after the 1965 season, I believe. Isn't the original in their Hall of Fame?

reports differ. I don't recall ever seeing it there, and it would be right up my alley.

There are also reports that it was issued to every NFL champ until the merger was complete and the last winner - the Vikings - lost it.

But in any case, I don't think the Packers made their own permanent copy in 1936, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66 or 1967. Unlike the Redskins did for their win in 1937, which is where all the existing images come from.

I've put out feelers to the HoF, see if they can clear this up.

Really, though, they should be wearing this combo at home:

Gbay9.jpg

They moved away in 1946. Let it go already.

Well played, Sir. Speaking of the Cleveland/LA Rams, I'd love to see the current Rams break out the old school blue/white uni's from that era.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

He didn't take the franchise to Baltimore. He took the organization.

The franchise certificate remained in Cleveland, with the name, uniforms and history. Including, I'm pretty sure, the trophies.

What did the AAFC trophy look like?

A certificate remained in a city. Nobody cares because the certificate does not have the meaning it did back in the day. Modell moved the Browns to Baltimore. It is completely incorrect to say that the Ravens are not the old Browns and that the new Browns are the same as the 1946-1995 Browns. If the certificate really meant something, then people wouldn't have been as angry when the Browns left the city.

Well played, Sir. Speaking of the Cleveland/LA Rams, I'd love to see the current Rams break out the old school blue/white uni's from that area.

Finally! Someone else who thinks that was a great look for the Rams. I thought I was the only one.

Best Rams uniform ever...

d_jones_090421_blog.jpg

Absolute perfection. B)

BB52Big.jpg

He didn't take the franchise to Baltimore. He took the organization.

The franchise certificate remained in Cleveland, with the name, uniforms and history. Including, I'm pretty sure, the trophies.

What did the AAFC trophy look like?

A certificate remained in a city. Nobody cares because the certificate does not have the meaning it did back in the day. Modell moved the Browns to Baltimore. It is completely incorrect to say that the Ravens are not the old Browns and that the new Browns are the same as the 1946-1995 Browns. If the certificate really meant something, then people wouldn't have been as angry when the Browns left the city.

That is your opinion and you are completely entitled to that, but according to the NFL and Cleveland Browns, you are 100% wrong. End of discussion.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Archived