Do the Browns ever wear brown?

Buffalo

Seeing that older picture makes me wish the orange pants were an option and the white mask would return. Technically, didn't they wear the orange mask longer than gray?

KISSwall09.jpg

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And so begins another Cleveland Browns uniform thread.

You know, I hate "Cleve-jacking" as much as anyone. That said, it's gotten to the point where certain people overreact to any mention of anything that's even related to Cleveland. So tell me Curt, what are we Browns fans allowed to talk about?

The topic of their uniforms come up in no less than three threads each month -- and they ALWAYS come back to no logo on the helmet, their soiled brown pants, their Sipe-era gear, or that pic of Jeff Garcia in an orange jersey.

Really, what's left to say about their identity? It's all been done.

BROWNS-GARCIA-RELEASED.jpg

Manchester-City-icon.png

And so begins another Cleveland Browns uniform thread.

You know, I hate "Cleve-jacking" as much as anyone. That said, it's gotten to the point where certain people overreact to any mention of anything that's even related to Cleveland. So tell me Curt, what are we Browns fans allowed to talk about?

The topic of their uniforms come up in no less than three threads each month -- and they ALWAYS come back to no logo on the helmet, their soiled brown pants, their Sipe-era gear, or that pic of Jeff Garcia in an orange jersey.

Really, what's left to say about their identity? It's all been done.

So does Dallas and their mismatched colors, Oregon, and gray facemasks. The difference is no one freaks out over them.

BB52Big.jpg

Seeing that older picture makes me wish the orange pants were an option and the white mask would return. Technically, didn't they wear the orange mask longer than gray?

Okay - here's a timeline:

1. Gray masks from the time they were invented (actually some of the oldest masks were almost Wrigley's gum brown, but that wouldn't count because that was just the natural color of the rubber Schutt used on facemasks prior to the light gray colored rubber) until 1974. Assuming some started in around 1954, let's call in 212 years

2. White masks: 1975 to 1995 (21 years) plus 1999 to 2005 (7 years)

3. Gray masks again: 2006 to present (6 years)

I would guess that they then have about equal time by now - 28 years with white facemasks and roughly 27 years in gray facemasks - not sure if there were any facemasks before 1954 - if there were, they could have been gray, brown or clear; it's hard to set a starting point for the grey facemasks in the 1950s.

Does the pope :censored: in the woods?

If the pope :censored: in the woods, no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I usually don't like when teams have random colors in their uniforms, like the Browns with the gray facemask. However, I don't think that white facemask looks good with the browns. It sticks out like a sore thumb. I think the gray facemask looks 100% better. There is something subtle about it.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Well, they are named after a man, as opposed to the color.

It doesn't matter. Brown is not a tangible thing other than a color (hashbrowns don't count). This isn't a "bears aren't navy and orange" topic. They have the same name as a color, so it is necessary for them to wear that color.

And I agree that they should wear the brown jerseys for all home games. Of course, if I were commish, I would mandate all home teams wearing dark (or alt) jerseys. The Cowboys can piss up a rope.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

For the edification of the board, here's a picture of a different crappy Browns QB in their orange jersey:

uTYny.jpg

I would not say it was all his fault, he had no offensive line to protect him. But he was a product of the Kentucky system at that time.

spacer.png

And I agree that they should wear the brown jerseys for all home games. Of course, if I were commish, I would mandate all home teams wearing dark (or alt) jerseys. The Cowboys can piss up a rope.

I don't mind if a team does it (wears white) every once in awhile at home, but every game is just ugly and annoying.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

For the edification of the board, here's a picture of a different crappy Browns QB in their orange jersey:

uTYny.jpg

I would not say it was all his fault, he had no offensive line to protect him. But he was a product of the Kentucky system at that time.

Very true. Same thing happened to Carr in Houston.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Terry Pluto wrote a great book about how the NFL and Browns screwed up a lot of things between 1995-1999. Here's the link: False Start: How The New Browns Were Set Up To Fail

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

By the way, I'm already tired of the white-on-white, but I'm at the point where I don't care what they wear....I just want them to win a freakin' game. :mad:

You got yourself a talented, young QB... don't worry the wins will start coming soon.

The jury is still out on Colt. I am a supporter of him. I want this Cleveland-QB-Carousel to end, but when you actually watch the games, he makes a lot of terrible throws. There is never an easy catch for the receivers or tight ends. There will be some incompletions where he is 10-20 yards away from the receiver. Either he reads the defense differently, or he just hasn't developed any semblance of touch when throwing the football. Its pretty hard to watch.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Terry Pluto wrote a great book about how the NFL and Browns screwed up a lot of things between 1995-1999. Here's the link: False Start: How The New Browns Were Set Up To Fail

As for this... I really want to see ESPN do a 30 for 30 about the selling and moving of the Cleveland Browns. The amount of political corruption in Cleveland and Cuyahoga county is mind boggling. Not only that... a lot of the people who "saved the Browns" made a nice profit and gains from the selling in 1995/96. It really would be interesting.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

As for this... I really want to see ESPN do a 30 for 30 about the selling and moving of the Cleveland Browns. The amount of political corruption in Cleveland and Cuyahoga county is mind boggling. Not only that... a lot of the people who "saved the Browns" made a nice profit and gains from the selling in 1995/96. It really would be interesting.

Which is why I hate the "AL" patch with 100% pure hatred. Al Lerner could've prevented Art Modell from moving, but knew he would make millions. AL didn't keep the Browns in Cleveland, the NFL did.

BTW, did you read that book? It's very VERY good.

As for Colt, I didn't like the draft pick and I'm afraid he isn't the right fit for the NFL's version of the west-coast offense. He's smart and a leader, but his lack of arm strength and that he get's easily rattled are his downfall.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Archived