Carolina Rays Concept (update)

JLopesXC

So I'm in the midst of putting together a relocation of the Tampa Bay Rays, in which they head up north to Charlotte to play as the Carolina Rays, ditching navy/light blue for a carolina blue accenting a forest green similar to what they sported in the early thousands. Also ditching that "sun ray" crap and I want to come up with an alt logo as well as uniforms. So I came up with this let me know what you think! CC Appreciated!

rays3.png

Graphically, it is well done. That said, I would also consider including another color to provide more contrast. Also, I don't see this really jiving too well for a baseball team. It comes across as too "modern". I think a more simplistic wordmark would be ideal here.

Incorporated more white and I think it balances the colors a lot. I think i'll probably move the stitching around so it doesn't conflict with the R in Rays. Also included an alt logo too. I might make a custom alt from scratch but I think this would make a good alternate cap/sleeve patch logo.Over all I think this version is much better C+C is extremely appreciated.

rays3-1.png

raysALT1.png

Would hope if the Rays moved, they would drop the whole Rays/Devil Rays name. Never been a fan.

I agree. Despite the Rays' improved onfield performance over the past few years, I can't see why relocated team would want to retain their history. Aren't the Charlotte Knights a no-brainer here?

That aside, I think the update is really good. The green and carolina blue actually work for me as well.

Would hope if the Rays moved, they would drop the whole Rays/Devil Rays name. Never been a fan.

I agree. Despite the Rays' improved onfield performance over the past few years, I can't see why relocated team would want to retain their history. Aren't the Charlotte Knights a no-brainer here?

That aside, I think the update is really good. The green and carolina blue actually work for me as well.

Plus, the Knights have a killer logo already.

raysALT1.png

This is beautiful.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

Incorporated more white and I think it balances the colors a lot. I think i'll probably move the stitching around so it doesn't conflict with the R in Rays. Also included an alt logo too. I might make a custom alt from scratch but I think this would make a good alternate cap/sleeve patch logo.Over all I think this version is much better C+C is extremely appreciated.

rays3-1.png

raysALT1.png

Absolutely love the colors and these logos, but I'm not sure the team name fits in well with North Carolina. Virginia, actually could work better. I've seen the Ray display in an aquarium near VA Beach.

87Redskins.png

Absolutely love the colors and these logos, but I'm not sure the team name fits in well with North Carolina. Virginia, actually could work better. I've seen the Ray display in an aquarium near VA Beach.

Actually, Manta Rays like the one depicted in the Rays logo, are seen off the waters of North Carolina quite often. Probably not as often as the Gulf of Mexico or in the Tampa Bay area, but it's not unusual to find them there so I think the location is still fitting.

Thank you everyone for the input i'll be updating again soon.

If they are gonna be called, "Carolina", why do you only have North Carolina in the secondary logo?

You could go ask the Panthers and Hurricanes the same thing then. They aren't the North Carolina Hurricanes or North Carolina Panthers. This team would most likely play in Charlotte, but Charlotte is not near the ocean so the name "Rays" wouldn't really relate. When it's named after the whole state it's its easier to have the name relate because the state of North Carolina is on the East Coast I guess?

If they are gonna be called, "Carolina", why do you only have North Carolina in the secondary logo?

You could go ask the Panthers and Hurricanes the same thing then. They aren't the North Carolina Hurricanes or North Carolina Panthers. This team would most likely play in Charlotte, but Charlotte is not near the ocean so the name "Rays" wouldn't really relate. When it's named after the whole state it's its easier to have the name relate because the state of North Carolina is on the East Coast I guess?

His point is that you are alienating a complete state and fanbase with the state of South Carolina by only using the state of North Carolina and calling the team "Carolina".

His point is that you are alienating a complete state and fanbase with the state of South Carolina by only using the state of North Carolina and calling the team "Carolina".

Ahh okay, well would you have any suggestions for me to fix that? Would "Charlotte Rays" work? Or "North Carolina Rays"? Or should I change the alt logo too include South Carolina too? I feel that the city of Charlotte doesn't really relate to the nickname "Rays", but North Carolina sounds like it could be associated with UNC or something of the like.

Archived