Origin of Boston Patriots in red?

cranium

I know that a great deal of people on this board hate their current jerseys, but I think they are not only a great design but they also utilize a much a more appropriate color scheme for a team using the nickname "Patriots". They totally work for me.

I agree that the current unis are superior, but I would bring back the original patriot in the three-point stance...great logo.

IMO that's combining the worst of both worlds. Pat Patriot is a classic, but wouldn't look good at all on the current uniforms (not like anything looks good with the current uniforms, they're among the worst in the NFL).

The AFL Legacy throwbacks are exactly what they should be wearing today. I don't care that the British wore red in the Revolutionary War. It's actually aesthetically pleasing as opposed to the current set, which isn't.

patriots.jpg

ba644be7d31f1a778dee11d221fe2798-getty-88971917jr001.jpg

BradyPatsBroncoLegacy.jpg

20091011broncoswr101109.jpg

Slap Elvis on the helmet and you've got a winner.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>>

I would love to see how NE looked with their '63 throwback helmet with the gray face-mask, but instead of that red jersey I'd like to see how it would look in the exact blue that would match the blue on Pat Patriot. I think that would be a winner.

Also, there's been so much talk about Tim Tebow who looks to me like the biggest hulk-like built QB since Joe Kapp. I remember Joe Kapp when he was on Minnesota, and then when he left for the Patriots he just didn't look right in that all-white NE uniform when behind center.

I just so happened to come across this photo ...

ape-kapp-pats-wht-8x10.jpg

I, too, prefer today's uniforms over the past uniforms because the Patriots are wearing blue for home uniforms. But what does silver have to do with a team called the Patriots?

Probably no connection at all, but Paul Revere was a silversmith (and a notorious propagandist).

savedpictures013-1.jpg

I know that a great deal of people on this board hate their current jerseys, but I think they are not only a great design but they also utilize a much a more appropriate color scheme for a team using the nickname "Patriots". They totally work for me.

I agree that the current unis are superior, but I would bring back the original patriot in the three-point stance...great logo.

IMO that's combining the worst of both worlds. Pat Patriot is a classic, but wouldn't look good at all on the current uniforms (not like anything looks good with the current uniforms, they're among the worst in the NFL).

The AFL Legacy throwbacks are exactly what they should be wearing today. I don't care that the British wore red in the Revolutionary War. It's actually aesthetically pleasing as opposed to the current set, which isn't.

patriots.jpg

ba644be7d31f1a778dee11d221fe2798-getty-88971917jr001.jpg

BradyPatsBroncoLegacy.jpg

20091011broncoswr101109.jpg

I'll compromise on that. I like Pat Patriot more than Flying Elvis, but as long as these uniforms come back, I don't really care who's on the helmet.

spacer.png

Pat Patriot might be my favorite logo of all time (which is anathema coming from a Steelers fan), but it looks so weird on a helmet. Most helmet logos are forward facing, Pat faces out the side. Just a logical disconnect that has always bothered me.

I'd love to see him as a full-time chest-patch though.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Pat's a good secondary logo, but dumping Flying Elvis at this point to me is like saying, "we didn't like winning 3 super bowls and preferred 40 years of sucking, hard." That and not sure why anyone who think the current set is less aesthetically pleasing than the old red unis. Frankly the red stands out like a sore thumb and is really off putting to me. Then again maybe it's the ties to sucking hard that the red unis have as well. I mean on their own merit they'd be ok, but you can't detach a long term history of being a basement team from the clothes they wore just like you can't separate being winners from the uniforms they wore when they won... (just as the 49ers).

Doesn't it just seem like it would easy and look great to make the uniform match the old Pat? Not saying this is "it" but just an idea.

pats.jpg

Better looking than the red I'll give it that. Slap an Elvis on the helmet and it's be a good set up if people feel the current winning jersey really much change.

not sure why anyone who think the current set is less aesthetically pleasing than the old red unis.

Pointless piping, silly side panels on the roads, and goofy, unbalanced number font.

That's even before we talk about the drab, bland color scheme.

The colors of the American flag are drab and bland?

Give me the current set everyday as opposed to the throwbacks. They are okay once every 2 years, but Patriot Pat is just not an logo that is pleasing to the eye. I would prefer that the Patriots create a red alternate with the set they already have. But to each their own.

spacer.png

not sure why anyone who think the current set is less aesthetically pleasing than the old red unis.

Pointless piping, silly side panels on the roads, and goofy, unbalanced number font.

That's even before we talk about the drab, bland color scheme.

The colors of the American flag are drab and bland?

In those proportions, with that much navy and so little red and white?

Yes.

Not to mention all that silver, which is not present on any of the American flags I own, and which is less bright than the white it replaced on the Patriots' uniforms.

Not to mention all that silver, which is not present on any of the American flags I own, and which is less bright than the white it replaced on the Patriots' uniforms.

You probably bought your flag after 9/11 when they went throwback. My Y2K-compliant AmeriFlag2000 has the fifty stars in New Millennium Silver to represent each state's commitment to technology.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I seem to remember Parcells saying in 1993 that it didn't make sense for the Patriots to be wearing red in the first place, since the Limeys wore those during the entire war.

On another note, I wish the WLAF was still around...you could have the Patriots playing in Wembley against the London Monarchs.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

[slap Elvis on the helmet and you've got a winner.

Aside from me thinking the '80s Patriots set is better than that one in every way, that wouldn't be a good solution. Elvis is a terrible logo. People can dislike Pat for being too detailed or too wonky, but that doesn't mean the Elvis logo isn't one of the worst in the NFL. If they dont want to use Pat, they can come up with a new logo.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Agree that the current uni is a mess. Found this which I think looks great. Take out the silver and it would be amazing.

http://mykol78.tumblr.com/post/1620657766/patspropaganda-nike-pro-combat-new-england

Not bad. It will be interesting to see which jerseys Nike changes around. Obviously a few are untouchable or so recently changed they won't do anything to them, Oakland, San Francisco, Indy, etc... But I could see the Pats being one of the jerseys they tweak. As for Elvis being a bad logo someone is going to have to explain to me why. He's a Patriot, he's simple and readily identifiable, he's facing the right way, and he's not "happy" or "angry" as we were discussing earlier.

I think Elvis is a bad logo because he's too long to look good on the helmets. The best horizontal helmet logos seem to have a aspect ratio somewhere around 3:2, to fill the space on the side of a helmet.

Plus the focus of the logo is on one extreme end, the face. This means they have to put him very far back on the helmets, so far back thet the two logos almost touch on the back of the helmets and the front is empty.

tom-brady-new-england-patriots2.jpg

Tom-Brady-Wes-Welker-Patriots-300x261.jpg

It's unbalanced and very ugly to my eye. It looks like it was designed to end up on a polo shirt, not a helmet.

I've explained why multiple times: compared to the numerous strong and poweful monograms, crests, and shields in the NFL, Elvis is just a wispy little brushstroke of a logo. The Chargers' bolt is the only primary in the league that looks more unassuming and insubstantial.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived