Origin of Boston Patriots in red?

cranium

I've explained why multiple times: compared to the numerous strong and poweful monograms, crests, and shields in the NFL, Elvis is just a wispy little brushstroke of a logo. The Chargers' bolt is the only primary in the league that looks more unassuming and insubstantial.

Guess it's all a matter of personal taste. You just listed one of the other NFL logos I'd consider one of the best both design wise and from being iconic and easily identifiable. I'd put the Niners, Raiders and Steelers logos in there as well. I'd be interested to hear which logos you consider the strongest if the Chargers and Pats are some of the weakest IYO.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this and never noticed the helmet from '60. What I also didn't see was the uniform set with the italic numbers. Was that the first set with the new logo?

New+England+Patriots+1200.jpg

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Yeah, I love it on the helmets too, but that's like an even more inconsequential Buffaslug.

The strongest logos? Cowboys, Raiders, Packers, Steelers, 49ers, Giants, Texans. Notice that all of them, if placed in a square, make the most of that space.

Hey, they stole our board meme!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I found this and never noticed the helmet from '60. What I also didn't see was the uniform set with the italic numbers. Was that the first set with the new logo?

I want to say the italic one you're thinking of was the last of the lighter blue jerseys before they went to the current dark blue (like 97/98). My old roommate loved that jersey and still wears it to games.

I want to say the italic one you're thinking of was the last of the lighter blue jerseys before they went to the current dark blue (like 97/98). My old roommate loved that jersey and still wears it to games.

Didn't Bledsoe wear them in his early Patriot years? And if that helmet from '60 is legit, why have I never seen them use it?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Since you bring it up, the problem with the Chargers' bolt is exactly opposite from the problem with Elvis.

It looks great on a helmet, really silly everywhere else.

30chargers.600.jpg

big_tall_chargers_polo_shirt.jpg

I suppose I can agree with that. I see it on craploads of cars around here (San Diego), and it does look a bit odd. That said it's one of those logos that as long as they don't leave SD it won't be changed. It's far too iconic at this point.

Didn't Bledsoe wear them in his early Patriot years? And if that helmet from '60 is legit, why have I never seen them use it?

Found it, it was at least 1996 that they wore it. That chart while pretty is wrong as to when that jersey they list as 96 was worn.

*edit* Plus I could have checked the website we're all on too... 95-99 was the italic jersey.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=mf5mixgc3gfyhve1pe8ax3gci

1) He did. They wore it in the Super Bowl that the Packers beat them in.

2) To wit:

DBBP1960.JPG

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

2) To wit:

DBBP1960.JPG

Sorry. Should have clarified. In their "Hooray for the AFL" games, they always use Pat Patriot. Why not bust the '60 throwback helmets out?

cv2TCLZ.png

POTD - 7/3/14

2) To wit:

DBBP1960.JPG

Sorry. Should have clarified. In their "Hooray for the AFL" games, they always use Pat Patriot. Why not bust the '60 throwback helmets out?

Oh, gotcha. Well, in that case, I wonder if the fact that the 1960 helmets were one-year wonders had anything to do with it.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Beacause Pat is more marketable, and having him on the throwbacks is an opportunity to sell a whole lotta stuff.

The Bills, Chargers and Raiders also chose to not wear their first season uniforms as part of the AFL anniversary celebration.

Makes sense for two of them for sure. The first year was the one year the Chargers weren't in San Diego, and Raiders were aesthetically impaired that season.

Since you bring it up, the problem with the Chargers' bolt is exactly opposite from the problem with Elvis.

30chargers.600.jpg

The upside down bolt on the new unis is horrible. To me these had the best execution of the bolts.

chargers79.jpg

I completely agree 100%. I loved that uni, especially the bolt on the pants.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

30chargers.600.jpg

The upside down bolt on the new unis is horrible. To me these had the best execution of the bolts.

chargers79.jpg

No way, this was much better

jc216.jpg

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I've been thinking about why I prefer the Pats in red, and I think a lot of it is because it's a more unique look (yes I know something can't be more unique). There are plenty of teams with some combination of blue jerseys and light White/gray pants. Fewer with red jerseys and White pants. Also go take a quick look at the star spangled banner, red is the most predominant color ahead of blue. So I get the historical irony, but for me the Pats should be in red.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Nope pretty sure this was.

drewbledsigp1.jpg

2) To wit:

DBBP1960.JPG

Seriously. The old tri-corner helmet is awesome. If they do go back to the red uniform, the tri-corner should follow.

spacer.png

The Pats' blue unis with red numbers outlined in white debuted in 1993. The white numbers outlined in red debuted in 1994. The Italic drop-shadowed number set debuted in 1995.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived