Formula 1 to race in NJ in '13

Hathaway Browne

My vote is for the Camden 300.

As far as F1 in America, its not going to work because Americans in general don't like sports in which they can't dominate. People talk about globalization all the time, but the last thing people in the US want to see is any sport they enjoy become globalized. Any sport without Americans dominating it will generate next to zero interst from the US. Its the same reason why soccer isn't more popular. People care only so much about it as the country is good at it. Its also why I think hockey isn't bigger here and why I think the European influence has done more to hurt basketball interest in this country then it has done to help it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My vote is for the Camden 300.

As far as F1 in America, its not going to work because Americans in general don't like sports in which they can't dominate. People talk about globalization all the time, but the last thing people in the US want to see is any sport they enjoy become globalized. Any sport without Americans dominating it will generate next to zero interst from the US. Its the same reason why soccer isn't more popular. People care only so much about it as the country is good at it. Its also why I think hockey isn't bigger here and why I think the European influence has done more to hurt basketball interest in this country then it has done to help it.

This has got to be the most ridiculous explanation of why F1 isn't popular in the United States. Reason #1, when the races are on at 7am eastern, very few people are going to watch. Reason #2, Indy car was the most popular in this country until the split, after the split NASCAR took over. Why? It has nothing to do with Americans dominating, it has everything to do with what time the races were on. The only people who watch F1 and care about it are die-hard race fans who love racing as a whole. Because it runs mostly in Europe and Asia, the time kills it as far as popularity. A casual fan is more likely to turn on an Indy car, NASCAR, ALMS, or even an NHRA event and watch and be hooked because lo and behold it's on at a time that they can watch.

And the two street circuits that have hosted Australian F1 races since the 1980s.

Singapore is also a street circuit.

Technically Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is a street circuit as well.

So is Abu Dahbi & Monaco I believe

Abu Dhabi is NOT a street circuit is is raced on the Yas Marina Circuit which is a closed course

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

^Isn't Korea technically a partial street circuit? or should that be, will be, if they ever build a city there. ;) On the subject of the NY/NJ race, the time scale surprises me. 2013 isn't that far away, I know negotiations have been probably going on for years, but it means they've got only c.18 months to get what improvements need doing done in able to convert it to a F1 ready course. Then again, that doesn't mean it can't be done.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

And the two street circuits that have hosted Australian F1 races since the 1980s.

Singapore is also a street circuit.

Technically Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is a street circuit as well.

So is Abu Dahbi & Monaco I believe

Abu Dhabi is NOT a street circuit is is raced on the Yas Marina Circuit which is a closed course

Ah, didn't know that. I thought it was. Learn something new everyday.

baltimoreravens.png

This has failure written all over it. If you know anything about street courses, they are here and gone in a year or two. The only street courses that work year in and year out are Long Beach and Monaco, and that's because there's history behind them. I will say the reviews of Baltimore and the IRL were good, but street courses are big promises and low results. Could there be anything less exciting than the follow the leader F1 on a street course where there is no room for passing? I think not and this is coming from someone who actually watches Monaco every year. I guess the excitement for this is the same as Chicago Cubs fans thinking about next year. Just deal with reality, it'll be a failure... again.

Begs the question, why not bring it back to Long Beach if they really feel they need a second US race. The course has always been top notch with several good passing points. It's been run continuously for 37 years now so the organization is more sound than many dedicated road tracks. And it's in a beautiful location in one of the largest metro areas on the continent.

Uncle Bernie isnt the biggest fan of doing anything that makes it look like F1 is copying IRL / CART. Remember the ridiculousness when Bridgestone became the sole tire supplier and wanted to mark tires so everyone knew which compound was which? An idea that was already in practice in CART.

I started watching F1 again about 6 or 7 years ago, but one thing that is absolutely clear is that Bernie wants every event to be a spectacle, and doesnt like it when venues skimp, so any idea that F1 is going to race in a parking lot I think is completely out of the question.

As for making room for these new events I fear that some of the European classics are going to get axed to make room, when it should be some of these new formulaic Herman Tilke designed trash getting knocked off instead, and from what Im reading there may be a chance that Korea may get dropped after next year since they cant afford the sanctioning fee.

I assume that this race is going to be about on par with Valencia, and be more about the venue then the racing, and just be 50 or 60 parade laps behind the leader.

Lastly I was hoping for a New York race would get titled the North American Grand Prix or some such thing instead of naming it after the host state.

So its all official. The Grand Prix of America (not to be confused with the United States Grand Prix in Texas) will start its 10 year contract in June 2013.

Here's the layout...

6283189107_4203cf431b.jpg

©Tilke/F1 and respective parties.

......and someone's already filmed the proposed layout. I can see its potential.

http://youtu.be/Bxvbfm8P47Y

So its all official. The Grand Prix of America (not to be confused with the United States Grand Prix in Texas) will start its 10 year contract in June 2013.

Here's the layout...

......and someone's already filmed the proposed layout. I can see its potential.

Wonder what the guys running the USGP think of this. They've spent millions building a beautiful custom circuit in Austin and worked for years to get a race and all of a sudden a group uses Google Earth in New Jersey of all places and gets a race...

Here's the layout...

Wonder what the guys running the USGP think of this. They've spent millions building a beautiful custom circuit in Austin and worked for years to get a race and all of a sudden a group uses Google Earth in New Jersey of all places and gets a race...

I dont think its a bad thing, not like both races are geographically close. The US is big enough for two.

Here's the layout...

I dont think its a bad thing, not like both races are geographically close. The US is big enough for two.

I'd agree if the Indy USGP hadn't been such a disaster when it came to attendance even before the tire fiasco. We had trouble supporting one race recently, two may be pushing it. Then again I think location may be part of it and that's where Austin is at a bigger disadvantage to NJ as well. It's further from the coasts where you're more likely to find fans of F1 living in the states.

There is room in the country for two (heck, there's room for 3 if they wanted to go back to Long Beach or something). I guess this does put a bit of pressure on the Circuit of the Americas, but then that can surely only be a good thing right? And if they wanted CoA can perhaps shout a bit more about seeing an F1 car in its "natural" habitat rather than on the streets of Weehawken.

This race has serious potential. Not only because of the huge market it's in and the spectacular views, but the track actually looks like it will be pretty racy. Monaco is the current crown jewel, but the race is always extremely boring because the track is incredibly narrow with limited-to-zero passing zones. This track is laid out on fairly wide streets (especially the huge straightaway after the hairpin) .

Can't wait to see this. Might even make the trek down there (heckuva lot closer to me than Austin.) I could see this becoming a really prestigious event on the sched.

Here's the layout...

That is right next to the Lincoln Tunnel.

Picture1-13.png

Archived